Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Gunsmithing
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2021, 05:17 PM   #1
Bluntforce
slug

Default Does bluing compound freeze?

None of the brick and mortar stores carry bluing compound so I’ll have to have it sent, most likely interfacing with the USPS for the last leg. Which means some hours in the mailbox during possible freezing temperatures. Anything to worry aboot?
Old 12-10-2021, 02:56 PM   #2
Hunter07
I'm a grumpy SOB

I tried a google search for "does bluing compound freeze", and found nothing but a boatload of sites advertising bluing compounds/liquids.

Is there any specific product that you're wondering about?

Maybe call the manufacturer?

FWIW, many years ago, I 're-blued' a Remington 11-48 20 Ga. that I used to own. IIRC, it was a 'cold bluing process'. Once I was done with it, it looked pretty good! But I kept the stuff in my parents home, in my Dad's basement work shop.
Hunter07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 03:56 PM   #3
aviator
unum de multis

I have a bottle of the stuff in my garage but my wife hasn't set the AC below freezing yet.
Old 12-10-2021, 03:59 PM   #4
Hunter07
I'm a grumpy SOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator View Post
I have a bottle of the stuff in my garage but my wife hasn't set the AC below freezing yet.
Says the guy that lives in south Florida.....
Hunter07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 09:04 PM   #5
aviator
unum de multis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter07 View Post
Says the guy that lives in south Florida.....
You complain about snow and I have 84º and humidity to deal with today. Ain't this a great country?
aviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 06:47 AM   #6
RetVet
Statistical Error

Don't know about blueing, but I know parkerizing solution with go bad and start solidifying over time.
Old 12-12-2021, 05:47 AM   #7
Bluntforce
slug

It’s supposed to be warm until it gets here. Also ordered some aluma black for scratches on handguards and AR receivers.
Bluntforce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 11:13 PM   #8
Bluntforce
slug

Spinz

Birchwood Casey Super Blue and Aluma Black. Got an e-mail yesterday that said it would be here today contradicting three other e-mails saying arrival would be 17th. It’s not here yet. Brownells is the company.

A few months ago I couldn’t find Aluma Black on the internet or in any store from OKC to KC. If you are looking for Aluma Black now would be a good time to order. YT vids show people applying it to steel and it working. Other YT vids show Super Blue working faster and better than Perma Blue on the same piece of steel.
Old 12-17-2021, 07:14 PM   #9
Bluntforce
slug

Spinz

Now the package is in Texas. For context I’m in BFE OK four miles south of KS and the package started out either in Iowa or further north. I can see why a lot of companies make tracking something you work for. I expected the package on the 21st, just a date I wrenched out of my ass along with my head. They now say the 20th. As long as I’ve been looking for the Aluma Black St. Patrick’s Day wouldn’t bother me. The blueing is for the final touch on a nine or ten year project I don’t remember when it started, it may be closer to eight.

I hope I can credibly blame this so called delay on Biden but if I can’t I’ll settle for scurrilous blame.
Old 12-19-2021, 08:32 PM   #10
Bluntforce
slug

Spinz

It’s in Enid which is roughly as far west as Tulsa is east of here. FWIW FedEx is the carrier. USPS likes to route to/through Tulsa and only sometimes sends stuff to OKC/Dallas, they’ve been getting better about not doing that. FedEx took the chemicals to some suburb south of Dallas.

Tonight will be cold but tomorrow will be warm and so will the next day. No useful information relating to original question will be obtained. Hopefully the tracking info will be found of some use.
Old 12-20-2021, 05:10 PM   #11
Bluntforce
slug

fish

Like Michael Myers says I got muh crrrrrrrap.

Had the goddamned genius Forrest Gump idea after I use it (probably anuther eight to ten years) I can leave it out on a cold night to see if it freezes. It will be completely irrelevant information for anyone at high elevations, north of central Kansas and especially around the Great Lakes or the Northeast. It just doesn’t get as cold or stay that way for long. Even the freezer wouldn’t be near as harsh as an unheated workshop in Michigan but it would be a constant.

In a real of irony Birchwood Casey is in Texas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdev4-Oa7io