Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Sights, Scopes, Optics, Binoculars, and Flashlights
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2021, 12:00 AM   #1
Hunter07
I'm a grumpy SOB

Question Thinking of changing scopes........

The reason? Everyone around here uses scopes that read in 'mils'. The scope I have on my Howa 1500 6.5mm Creedmoor, reads in MOA. I'm still learning scopes, and remember when I was in the Army, 'everything' was in 'mils'. I understand 'mils' and have a hard time understanding MOA...even though they're both basically the same.......but with a little 3.44 math involved. I'm NOT good with math. My friends that have scopes on their long range shootin' irons, their scopes are all in 'mils' so, it's harder for them to teach me how to hit targets out to 1350 yards, when they gotta convert 'their info', to MOA.

This is the scope I currently have on my 6.5mm Creedmoor.
http://www.nikkostirling.com/content...uC8AGVKFQyIcdk

This is what I'm thinking of replacing it with.
https://vortexoptics.com/vortex-stri...25x56-ffp.html

What's your thoughts?
Hunter07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 12:44 AM   #2
Sanders

Go with what works best for you. But when you are working with a spotter, you need to speaka the same language. Can't be calling out yards when someone is dialed in for meters, either.

I thoroughly enjoy my Primary Arms 1-8 ACSS reticle that pretty much says, "If it fits here, then shoot there. If they are walking or if there is a 5mph crosswind, hold over there." No maffs involved.

But I'm not doing the type of shooting you are, either.

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 01:09 AM   #3
Hunter07
I'm a grumpy SOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanders View Post
Go with what works best for you. But when you are working with a spotter, you need to speaka the same language. Can't be calling out yards when someone is dialed in for meters, either.

I thoroughly enjoy my Primary Arms 1-8 ACSS reticle that pretty much says, "If it fits here, then shoot there. If they are walking or if there is a 5mph crosswind, hold over there." No maffs involved.

But I'm not doing the type of shooting you are, either.
And that's why I'm looking at changing to 'mils'......

I'm not near as good as my friend, and his friends but, I'm working on it. Slowly, but surely.....as $$$$ allows.

A short video of a 'shoot' at my friends place.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mv27...annel=Bumptech

I love to shoot long range however, I love shorter range rifle (factory iron sights), and handgun shooting even more.
Old 07-11-2021, 08:12 AM   #4
graynote

Mils is certainly the way to go. It’s a simpler system; being a factor of 1/1000th. Dimes are easier to count that 4 cents at a time. The most important thing is having a reticle that matches the knobs. You see you missed .2 mils left, you can make the correction on your knobs or your hold. Same works with an MOA reticle and MOA knobs. But 90% of the world uses mils and almost all spotting scopes are mils if they have a reticle.

Best advice is download a ballistics app and learn how to use it. 1,000 hard shots are easy when you learn the numbers and master the fundamentals.
graynote is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 09:42 AM   #5
Sanders

How many mils is a cunt hair, anyway?
Old 07-11-2021, 09:46 AM   #6
slug

Quote:
How many mils is a cunt hair, anyway?
Wouldn't that depend on if it

was red or black?...
44044 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 12:03 PM   #7
Sanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44044 View Post
Wouldn't that depend on if it

was red or black?...
Or blonde. I'd say the blonde is finer...

I think red means to start shooting randomly all over the target.
Old 07-11-2021, 08:38 PM   #8
Bluntforce
slug

Spinz

Quote:
Or blonde. I'd say the blonde is finer...

I think red means to start shooting randomly all over the target.
Saw a blonde bush that was coarse and wiry once.

What were we talking about?
Old 07-12-2021, 09:47 AM   #9
4thIDvet
slug

MOA vs. Mil Explained
What's the difference between MOA and Mil?

https://www.gunsandammo.com/editoria...-vs-moa/248298

I learned the mil system when I went through AIT.
Old 08-28-2021, 08:19 AM   #10
graynote

did you ever decide to make a change?
Old 08-29-2021, 10:51 PM   #11
Hunter07
I'm a grumpy SOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by graynote View Post
did you ever decide to make a change?
All things 'firearm related', are "on hold' as of this time. Doc's took the toes from my right foot, mid July (flesh eating bacteria), and I'm still in 'recovery mode'. I haven't worked in 6 weeks. Conserving funds (without digging too much into the 'reserve funds'), and I damn sure don't want to dig into my retirement at this time.

Once I'm back to work, and get my 'cash reserves' & 'supplies' back up to par, then I'll look into a different scope.

Thanks for inquiring. I've read your replies to others, and like what I've read. Once I start looking again, your opinion/thoughts will be noted and considered. There's a lot of knowledgeable folks here. I like that.
Old 08-29-2021, 11:24 PM   #12
JD Miller
Fake Member

https://www.sportsmans.com/search/?t...5i+Rifle+Scope

Old 08-30-2021, 06:57 AM   #13
9teen11
PERMANENTLY BANNED
Asteroids Champion

Nightforce optics are excellent, particularly FFP. Available in Milrad or MOA

I like them
9teen11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 07:17 PM   #14
graynote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter07 View Post
All things 'firearm related', are "on hold' as of this time. Doc's took the toes from my right foot, mid July (flesh eating bacteria), and I'm still in 'recovery mode'. I haven't worked in 6 weeks. Conserving funds (without digging too much into the 'reserve funds'), and I damn sure don't want to dig into my retirement at this time.

Once I'm back to work, and get my 'cash reserves' & 'supplies' back up to par, then I'll look into a different scope.

Thanks for inquiring. I've read your replies to others, and like what I've read. Once I start looking again, your opinion/thoughts will be noted and considered. There's a lot of knowledgeable folks here. I like that.
I’m sorry to hear of your ailments and wish you a speedy recovery both financially and physically!
Old 08-31-2021, 07:29 PM   #15
c0dy33

Go with Mils. They're based on dimes like graynote said. Missing 1.1 Mils low? Come up 11 pennies.

Whatever you do, don't get a scope that has a Mil reticle and turret adjustments in MOA requiring you to do more conversions.
c0dy33 is online now   Reply With Quote