Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Mess Hall
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Mess Hall Talk about food. Recipes, grilling, dehydrating, smoking, and BBQs.

Old 05-02-2021, 12:33 PM   #16
baboon
slug

I use a premix rub from a company that I used & sold their spices in the early years of meat cutting. I too have a disposable (who am I kidding I wash it out & reuse it) aluminum pan that I use for 25 hour marination.

The rub is not heavy on sugar. Burnt sugar is not a flavor I like. I have seen where mist bottles with various concoction are being used for building up the bark. Seeing as the pork butt only went 12 hours I kind of think the longer smoke time on a brisket might very well give the desired bark.

Wood smoke flavors vary around the country. While in Illinois I too used fruit woods for flavor. Now I use what locally available pecan, mesquite, hickory & oak.

Not using electric, so controlling the temperature is still a bit of a learning curve. When I do the turkey breast I'll introduce a drip pan with a liquid. I think I need a brine pump & might just order that today. I was surprised at how good my spatchcock chickens turned out. Then again yard bird is fattier then a turkey breast.
baboon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 01:20 PM   #17
Hunter07
I'm a grumpy SOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by baboon View Post
The rub is not heavy on sugar. Burnt sugar is not a flavor I like. I have seen where mist bottles with various concoction are being used for building up the bark. Seeing as the pork butt only went 12 hours I kind of think the longer smoke time on a brisket might very well give the desired bark.
My pork butts usually take about 11-12 hours and a full packer brisket usually takes around 18-19 hours.

As for 'burnt sugar', I don't taste it. I think maybe that's because the brown sugar dissolves, and soaks into the meat. I don't spritz the meat with anything. Opening and closing the door often, makes for too much temperature fluctuation, adding to cook time.

Some people like 'mopping' BBQ sauce on ribs and such. I'm not really a fan of that, except on grilled chicken. Then I use about a 50/50 mixture of Open Pit BBQ sauce and beer.

The thing I like about my electric smoker is, other than adding chips about every hour for the first 3 hours or so, I don't have to 'babysit' it. I can do other stuff if needed, just checking my temperature probes when I walk past.
Hunter07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 03:37 PM   #18
baboon
slug

My kamado egg is set up in my screened back porch. I set up my old army cot for when I do a brisket. Won't be long & I might not choose to sleep out there to put a brisket on. Then again it has 2 ceiling fans. Who know if running them with fuck with the air into the egg. They shouldn't as for smoking it's pretty much shut down to any airflow.

Texas bar b que sauce is served on the side. The rub & the smoke should carry the juiciness of whats being served.
Old 05-02-2021, 05:06 PM   #19
Hunter07
I'm a grumpy SOB

Keep in mind, during a long smoke such as a brisket, your water pan will go dry. Keep an eye on it so it doesn't go dry.

Also, I inject beef broth because of the long smoke time (during the brisket prep), and to help eliminate the chances of it 'drying out'.

Your ceiling fans shouldn't affect air flow to your smoker. It'll only draw in whatever the vents are set at. If anything, they'll help evacuate the smoke from the screened in porch.

My Masterbuilt smoker has a 'chip tube' that I have to rotate a half turn, pull out, add a scoop of chips, insert, turn a half turn to dump the chips in the 'burn pan'. The end of the chip tube has three 1/8" holes for incoming air, and a rotating vent (similar to what's on a Weber kettle grill), to regulate air flow. I keep it set to 'half open' at all times. Seems to work best that way.

When I do long smokes, I start them early enough in the evening, so that once the meat goes in, I can go to sleep roughly 4 hours later (after adding wood chips every hour for the first 3 hours). Kind of a 'set it & forget it' thing. I like 'simple'. That way, I'm not wore out from babysitting a fire all night, and can enjoy the next day with friends/family that are enjoying the food I make.
Old 05-02-2021, 05:13 PM   #20
Hunter07
I'm a grumpy SOB

I've been kinda wanting to inject some 'Creole Butter' but, I've never tasted it. So I have no idea whether the wife would like it or not.

https://www.tonychachere.com/product...-style-butter/
Old 05-02-2021, 09:19 PM   #21
baboon
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter07 View Post
I've been kinda wanting to inject some 'Creole Butter' but, I've never tasted it. So I have no idea whether the wife would like it or not.

https://www.tonychachere.com/product...-style-butter/
I'd read the ingredients before buying it!
Old 05-02-2021, 10:09 PM   #22
Hunter07
I'm a grumpy SOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by baboon View Post
I'd read the ingredients before buying it!
Will do!