Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Mess Hall
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Mess Hall Talk about food. Recipes, grilling, dehydrating, smoking, and BBQs.

Old 04-04-2023, 01:32 AM   #1
Hunter07
I'm a grumpy SOB

Default I told Mom, that I wanna smoke a 'fresh ham', for Easter dinner, on Sunday.

I think I bit off a little more than I can chew.......

I have two large FULL, FRESH hams in the freezer (not smoked or cured, from a whole hog we bought back in Sept.).

We're going to 'Mom's place' for Easter Dinner, and like a dumb ass, I told my Mom, that'd I'd 'bring the ham'......

I think I'm gonna go buy and smoke a pre-cooked/smoked, spiral cut ham instead.

It's 'early Spring', and I'm doubting my capabilities.

If I do smoke one of the hams in my freezer, I'll have to pull it and place it in the fridge, by Noon (11 1/2 hours).

What say you?

I just looked at the time. Fuck it. I'll buy a store bought, spiral cut ham, and smoke it.
Hunter07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 04:52 AM   #2
baboon
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter07 View Post
I think I bit off a little more than I can chew.......

I have two large FULL, FRESH hams in the freezer (not smoked or cured, from a whole hog we bought back in Sept.).

We're going to 'Mom's place' for Easter Dinner, and like a dumb ass, I told my Mom, that'd I'd 'bring the ham'......

I think I'm gonna go buy and smoke a pre-cooked/smoked, spiral cut ham instead.

It's 'early Spring', and I'm doubting my capabilities.

If I do smoke one of the hams in my freezer, I'll have to pull it and place it in the fridge, by Noon (11 1/2 hours).

What say you?

I just looked at the time. Fuck it. I'll buy a store bought, spiral cut ham, and smoke it.
A fresh ham is good, but you not going to cure one between now & Easter. Hell getting it thawed out might even be a chore..

Most every one I ever ate was done in orange juice. The way you go ape shit over Raspberry Chipotle perhaps y'all would be down with a Serrano Ginger ala Orange roasted fresh ham.
baboon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 07:37 AM   #3
drh
I know things about stuff

Probably should practice doing one before hand. My $0.02
drh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 08:48 AM   #4
Konstantin

Super easy to "wet cure" a ham. I make 2 gallons of brine using 1cup of salt, 1cup of sugar, and 1oz of Prague powder per gallon of water. Using an injector inject the fresh leg all over at all depths then let it set for an hour then reinject the liquid that has come out of the meat.

After the second injection smoke the meat at around 250⁰ for around 10 hours. After smoking put it into a pan covered with foil and finish in the oven at 350⁰.
Konstantin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 08:54 AM   #5
Sanders

My family's Easter tradition is fried chicken. I'll cut up a whole bird and mix up Dad's secret spices for the breading then fry it in lard in a cast iron skillet and Dutch oven. I usually do two birds, but it's just me and the wife this year. Kids are scattered across the country.

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 10:51 PM   #6
Hunter07
I'm a grumpy SOB

Like a dumb ass, I didn't check into the process early enough. So I ended up buying and smoking a smoked, spiral cut ham for yesterdays dinner. I used cherry wood chunks for the smoke.

It turned out fantastic!
Hunter07 is online now   Reply With Quote