Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.



Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Mess Hall
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Mess Hall Talk about food. Recipes, grilling, dehydrating, smoking, and BBQs.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2022, 12:10 AM   #1
Hunter07
I'm a grumpy SOB
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Frostbite Falls, MN
Posts: 10,546
Question Why do I feel that I need/want a Blackstone Griddle?

When I bought my Masterbuilt GS800 Smoker/Grill/Griddle, I bought it specifically because it had the ability for multiple uses......smoking/grilling/griddling food. Best cooking combination for all things 'food', right?

I have yet to use the griddle that came with the GS800. I haven't even seasoned it yet. The griddle that came with the GS800, is 16" x 24".

Prior to buying the GS800, I had (still have), a Masterbuilt MES 30 electric smoker. It's about the size of a dormatory fridge. Sadly, it's been used once, since I bought the GS800 18 months ago. I also have a Weber 22" charcoal 'Kettle Grill' on wheels. Oh, my GS800 is charcoal fired also.

WHY, do I feel the need/want, to buy a 36" Blackstone Griddle (or something very similar)......that I might use twice a year?

The Masterbuilt GS800:
https://www.masterbuilt.com/products...e-grill-smoker

The Blackstone I would consider buying:
https://blackstoneproducts.com/colle...e-w-hard-cover
Hunter07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 01:45 AM   #2
4thIDvet
slug
 
4thIDvet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Astor Florida
Posts: 48,691
Default

I had a Blackstone they make pretty decent products. Tossed it in my canal for my fish reef when the Florida rust disease ate it up. But I kept the griddle.
Now I know you and boon have more BBQ equipment than the entire Sonny's franchise. So I am going to save my buddy Hunter $500. Take your propane cooker and just put your griddle in their 'on the rack' when you want to cook on it.
Lays nice and flat on the rack and you control the heat. You don't need all that stuff comes with the Blackstone just to warm up a damn griddle. Mine worked just fine like that.
Clean up? A little coarse salt and cut any citrus fruit in half and rub the grill down a bit. Old towel or rag wipe her down and then a tiny bit of cooking oil rubbed on and your ready for the next cookout.
__________________
God Bless Americas Veterans. All who are serving and have served.
4thIDvet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 07:38 AM   #3
baboon
slug
 
baboon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Out by the lake in central Texas
Posts: 18,383
Default

I have my Gorilla Grill Kamodo & that's it. The nice thing is it's mostly ceramic and not going to rust out. Wants & needs is how I ended up with my Kamado. I needed something that grilled & smoked. It's one of the few things the yellow devils got right.
baboon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 07:56 AM   #4
4thIDvet
slug
 
4thIDvet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Astor Florida
Posts: 48,691
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baboon View Post
I have my Gorilla Grill Kamodo & that's it. The nice thing is it's mostly ceramic and not going to rust out. Wants & needs is how I ended up with my Kamado. I needed something that grilled & smoked. It's one of the few things the yellow devils got right.
What makes the Kamado so good to cook with boon? Besides the rusting what makes it better than just a regular grill?
I am thinking about buying a Weber grill as they appear in the adds to let the flame come up to help sear the meats? They are not cheap but my canal fish reef is almost the size of Australia's Great Barrier Reef from them rusting out and getting heaved.

https://www.amazon.com/Weber-4651000...0T1HBYFS%27%7D
4thIDvet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 08:02 AM   #5
Sanders
Moderator
 
Sanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 66,692
Default

Try the griddle on your smoker a few times before getting something else. See if you even like that style of cooking first.

I inherited a griddle (not Blackstone, but similar) from my father-in-law. After cleaning it up and reseasoning it, I've cooked Philly cheesesteaks on it, but I really enjoy the smashburgers. While I love a good wood-fired or smoked burger, there's something about the smash burger that is pretty dang satisfying.

The thing I've learned about griddle cooking is it goes fast. You have to make sure everything is prepped before you start cooking, and sitting right there within arm's reach.

Made this one just the other day:
__________________

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
3
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 08:07 AM   #6
baboon
slug
 
baboon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Out by the lake in central Texas
Posts: 18,383
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thIDvet View Post
What makes the Kamado so good to cook with boon? Besides the rusting what makes it better than just a regular grill?
I am thinking about buying a Weber grill as they appear in the adds to let the flame come up to help sear the meats? They are not cheap but my canal fish reef is almost the size of Australia's Great Barrier Reef from them rusting out and getting heaved.
Its thick ass ceramic body holds the heat, no slaving over a hot pit when it's already hot & humid outside. They burn more effciently using less fuel & cooking quicker. They are do all grill, smoke & bake. They can take a real high temperate so doing a pizza is like a coal or wood fired pizza oven. I thought they could be adapted for a true high heat wok, bit would ned a ceramic wok holder. They are more compact the most American smokers taking up less space, but still handle volume with a smoking rack in place.
baboon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 08:36 AM   #7
4thIDvet
slug
 
4thIDvet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Astor Florida
Posts: 48,691
Default

Geez most everyone loves smoked ribs fish chicken hell smoked everything. Well not in the 18th century. Imagine breakfast lunch dinner eating smoked whatever the hell yah cooked 24/7 365 days a year.
Cooking over a fire or in the fireplace yah had two choices? Smoked flavored food or you starved to death.
So I watched a good show on 1700s heat reflector oven cooking to avoid the damn smoke. Some crazy metal contraptions but creative and they worked.
Funny how we now spend a fortune for our smoked food cookers and BBQ joints but then they worked hard and spent money to avoid the smoke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouBe6uXkJ6Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdWYt52IK7g
4thIDvet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 10:59 AM   #8
aviator
unum de multis
 
aviator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bunker's Headquarters.
Posts: 52,756
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baboon View Post
I have my Gorilla Grill Kamodo & that's it. The nice thing is it's mostly ceramic and not going to rust out. Wants & needs is how I ended up with my Kamado. I needed something that grilled & smoked. It's one of the few things the yellow devils got right.
Yesterday I was talking to a neighbor about the Kamodo, I helped him carry a very large one to the back of his house, he says it's the best thing he ever bought, but when time is of essence he uses the gas grill. He's got everything ever made for outdoor cooking on his back terrace.
__________________
"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Pesident Ronald Reagan
aviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 11:27 AM   #9
baboon
slug
 
baboon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Out by the lake in central Texas
Posts: 18,383
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thIDvet View Post
Geez most everyone loves smoked ribs fish chicken hell smoked everything. Well not in the 18th century. Imagine breakfast lunch dinner eating smoked whatever the hell yah cooked 24/7 365 days a year.
Cooking over a fire or in the fireplace yah had two choices? Smoked flavored food or you starved to death.
So I watched a good show on 1700s heat reflector oven cooking to avoid the damn smoke. Some crazy metal contraptions but creative and they worked.
Funny how we now spend a fortune for our smoked food cookers and BBQ joints but then they worked hard and spent money to avoid the smoke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouBe6uXkJ6Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdWYt52IK7g
I knew those as a boys scout outdoor oven, and I was never in scouts.
baboon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 11:42 AM   #10
baboon
slug
 
baboon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Out by the lake in central Texas
Posts: 18,383
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator View Post
Yesterday I was talking to a neighbor about the Kamodo, I helped him carry a very large one to the back of his house, he says it's the best thing he ever bought, but when time is of essence he uses the gas grill. He's got everything ever made for outdoor cooking on his back terrace.
If I had propane or nature gas I would still rather have the Kamodo. Here spider love build webs in the venture tubes of gas grills, and they won't work until cleared out. I had gas smoker & grills I like my Kamodo better.
baboon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 03:44 PM   #11
Hunter07
I'm a grumpy SOB
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Frostbite Falls, MN
Posts: 10,546
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanders View Post
Try the griddle on your smoker a few times before getting something else. See if you even like that style of cooking first.

I inherited a griddle (not Blackstone, but similar) from my father-in-law. After cleaning it up and reseasoning it, I've cooked Philly cheesesteaks on it, but I really enjoy the smashburgers. While I love a good wood-fired or smoked burger, there's something about the smash burger that is pretty dang satisfying.

The thing I've learned about griddle cooking is it goes fast. You have to make sure everything is prepped before you start cooking, and sitting right there within arm's reach.
I should at least try the griddle that came with it.

I've watched a lot of this guys videos, along with the videos from Blackstone.
https://www.youtube.com/@TheFlatTopKing/videos

https://www.youtube.com/@BlackstoneGriddles/videos
Hunter07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.