Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.



Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > General Discussion Forum
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2023, 03:33 AM   #31
500grains
Soldier of Allah
 
500grains's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Crackerland
Posts: 31,695
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator View Post
he is 6'4" 370 lbs
So he was 460 at the time of his injury?

I do not have a degree in bioenginering, but that seems like a lot for the human spine to hold. Mine gave out well under 200 pounds.
__________________
Racism will keep you alive.
500grains is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 07:29 AM   #32
aviator
unum de multis
 
aviator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bunker's Headquarters.
Posts: 52,734
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500grains View Post
So he was 460 at the time of his injury?

I do not have a degree in bioenginering, but that seems like a lot for the human spine to hold. Mine gave out well under 200 pounds.
JUst about, yes. He was debating going in for a gastric bypass or some other sort of help just before this came about.
__________________
"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Pesident Ronald Reagan
aviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 08:03 AM   #33
cujet
Member
 
cujet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Posts: 987
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator View Post
JUst about, yes. He was debating going in for a gastric bypass or some other sort of help just before this came about.
Have him consider the Gastric Sleeve, as it is laparoscopic and minimally invasive, recovery is fast and it is effective. I know someone who did the "Gastric Sleeve" and it was a fucking godsend. Made the rest of that person's life possible.

We have to be honest with ourselves. Many of these things are truly out of our control. Our food supply is chock-a-block full of hormones, antibiotics, growth enhancers and other pharmaceuticals, not to mention genetic modifications, insecticides and man made compounds. There is a reason most American's are overweight now, vs. 1980. And it is not due to being lazy.

We have been poisoned.
cujet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 09:06 AM   #34
500grains
Soldier of Allah
 
500grains's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Crackerland
Posts: 31,695
Default

Yup, it's our food making us fat. A lot of people have success with the carnivore diet - only meat, fish, eggs. Have an all you can eat buffet once a day, and no snacks.

Regarding all surgical treatments for obesity, it is common for patients to lose HALF their body weight in the year following surgery, and then regain 25 percent of their original weight in the next couple of years. That would put your son at a final weight of 300, which is also dangerous to his damaged spine.

Respectfully, I would suggest a radical food intervention.

Here is a guy who has done the carnivore diet successfully for 7 years;

https://twitter.com/SBakerMD/status/1626001919755046912
500grains is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 10:24 AM   #35
44044
slug
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: swampeastmissouri
Posts: 51,109
Default

Carbs are not our friends…
44044 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 10:29 AM   #36
aviator
unum de multis
 
aviator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bunker's Headquarters.
Posts: 52,734
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44044 View Post
Carbs are not our friends…
That's what it is, I have lost over 40 lbs by not eating carbs at night and very little during the day, he cut them off completely. Stress makes him grab a snack and he has a very stressful job juggling board wishes and governor wishes vs. student needs.
aviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 10:49 AM   #37
55chevy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Central Orygun
Posts: 4,418
Default

My Ophthalmologist recently recommended to me to read this book Your type 2 diabetes lifeline by Rick Mystrom. Mystrom is a MD in Anchorage Alaska who is a type 1. I have had trouble with my A1C after having several shots in my back. He suggests that greasy food is good and minimal carbs. I grew up being told no greasy food because must watch cholesterol clogging etc. Check out his book.
55chevy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 06:06 PM   #38
aviator
unum de multis
 
aviator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bunker's Headquarters.
Posts: 52,734
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55chevy View Post
My Ophthalmologist recently recommended to me to read this book Your type 2 diabetes lifeline by Rick Mystrom. Mystrom is a MD in Anchorage Alaska who is a type 1. I have had trouble with my A1C after having several shots in my back. He suggests that greasy food is good and minimal carbs. I grew up being told no greasy food because must watch cholesterol clogging etc. Check out his book.
Greasy food....It depends but I tell you what people in Europe eat a lot of greasy food, they also walk a lot more than we do and they all seem to live longer. Maybe it's the wine.
aviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 07:04 PM   #39
55chevy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Central Orygun
Posts: 4,418
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator View Post
Greasy food....It depends but I tell you what people in Europe eat a lot of greasy food, they also walk a lot more than we do and they all seem to live longer. Maybe it's the wine.
He took a scientific approach to his blood sugar testing. He discovered the fat foods took longer to turn into the bad stuff than carbs and he rearranged his diet accordingly. He has survived being a type 1 for over 50 years using his method.
55chevy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 07:57 PM   #40
aviator
unum de multis
 
aviator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bunker's Headquarters.
Posts: 52,734
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55chevy View Post
He took a scientific approach to his blood sugar testing. He discovered the fat foods took longer to turn into the bad stuff than carbs and he rearranged his diet accordingly. He has survived being a type 1 for over 50 years using his method.
That's right, fats will metabolize into sugar from body reserves but carbs are basically sugar going into your system....That's to put it in very simple terms, it's a bit more complicated but the reasoning is right.
aviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 05:54 AM   #41
44044
slug
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: swampeastmissouri
Posts: 51,109
Default

How is the young man progressing?…
44044 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 06:44 AM   #42
aviator
unum de multis
 
aviator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bunker's Headquarters.
Posts: 52,734
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44044 View Post
How is the young man progressing?…
He is progressing, can't really notice in day to day life but when you look at pictures of what he was beginning to do a month ago and now there is a big difference, he can stand and walk, of course on the bars and very slow. but he can do it.
aviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 08:12 AM   #43
Johnny
Senior Member
 
Johnny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2022
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,276
Default

Has your son considered some sort of supervised aquatic exercise/therapy program? It's pretty popular here in Michigan, mostly for elderly folks with severe mobility issues. People who struggle to walk, or who can't walk at all, literally spring to life when weightless in the pool.

There's a fitness company called MVP, that has clubs all over West Michigan. They used to literally pack the pool with these programs. The instructors were super friendly and I'm sure would be happy to discuss if this sort of thing would be right for him and might even be able to refer you to someone in your state.
Johnny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 09:47 AM   #44
aviator
unum de multis
 
aviator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bunker's Headquarters.
Posts: 52,734
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
Has your son considered some sort of supervised aquatic exercise/therapy program? It's pretty popular here in Michigan, mostly for elderly folks with severe mobility issues. People who struggle to walk, or who can't walk at all, literally spring to life when weightless in the pool.

There's a fitness company called MVP, that has clubs all over West Michigan. They used to literally pack the pool with these programs. The instructors were super friendly and I'm sure would be happy to discuss if this sort of thing would be right for him and might even be able to refer you to someone in your state.
We have a 40 foot long heated pool at home, the problem is getting in and out, he's not ready for that yet. Some guy promised me the equipment to hoist him in-out but it's not here yet.

OK, just turn your head 90º left. I also had those bars made and I installed them under the pergola on the deck so he can start taking steps, which he is doiing every day
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GLBI9458.jpg (97.8 KB, 8 views)
aviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 10:01 AM   #45
44044
slug
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: swampeastmissouri
Posts: 51,109
Default

Is he still losing weight Sir?...
44044 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.