Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Mess Hall
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Mess Hall Talk about food. Recipes, grilling, dehydrating, smoking, and BBQs.

Old 12-20-2022, 10:43 PM   #1
baboon
slug

Default Porterhouse roast

baboon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 11:43 PM   #2
4thIDvet
slug

Smile Damn that looks good.

boon stop putting those pictures up this late I am trying to loose weight now I have to go make a damn sandwich.
Old 12-21-2022, 01:53 AM   #3
Hunter07
I'm a grumpy SOB

Thumbs up

Dang that looks delicious!

How thick? Smoked, then seared? Recipe please!
Hunter07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 02:04 AM   #4
4thIDvet
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter07 View Post

Both you guys the BBQ boys start putting up recopies for us guys that only eat BBQ in dine out places.
When I get done cooking on the grill the only ones that will eat with me is my neighbors pit bull Killer. No he ain't a killer he is even afraid of my cat.
4thIDvet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 02:47 AM   #5
Hunter07
I'm a grumpy SOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thIDvet View Post
Both you guys the BBQ boys start putting up recopies for us guys that only eat BBQ in dine out places.
When I get done cooking on the grill the only ones that will eat with me is my neighbors pit bull Killer. No he ain't a killer he is even afraid of my cat.
No two smoking sessions or grilling sessions are the same.

I take a bunch of notes during each cook, and compare with past cooks (taste, texture, bark.....everything. Smoking/BBQ, is basically nothing more than an 'experiment' every time.

Take pork ribs for example (St. Louis style or Baby Backs). Sometimes I like the 'no wrap' method. Basically 5-6 hours @225 degrees with nothing but a coating of rub, and brown sugar on them.

Other times I'll do a 3-2-1 or 2-2-1 method if I'm wrapping them. 2-3 hours with rub @225 degrees, remove from smoker, lay on non stick aluminum foil (meat side down), on a 'bed' of brown sugar, a few pats of butter, and a generous dose of honey, then do the same to the bone side. Then wrap tightly and slip 'em back in the smoker for 2 hours (meat side down). Remove from smoker, unwrap, and stick 'em back in for 1 hour (meat side up), to firm up and finish the ribs. Grab a roll of paper towels, it'll be messy eating.
Old 12-21-2022, 03:26 AM   #6
baboon
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter07 View Post

4 inches thick. Paper towel dry the meat on both sides. Rub in Worcestershire sauce, sprinkle with generous amounts of Kosher salt with course black pepper. let them rest in fridge uncover.

Lump charcoal in a hot fire in a Kamodo. Grill 7 minute, then turnover 15 minutes per side with lid down. Cook to 140 for Blue rare. these went to about 160, a bit over cooked for me. Let rest 10 minutes before boning out the carve on the bias.
baboon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 04:56 AM   #7
4thIDvet
slug

4thIDvet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 06:59 AM   #8
Sanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thIDvet View Post
Once you get it figured out you'll no longer want to go out to eat.

I don't know about the other guys, but I no longer enjoy going out to steak houses and bbq joints. I like my own cooking better.

A good place to start with recipes is watching some videos on youtube. bbqpitboys.com is a good place to get some easy recipes. Watch the videos to see how they cook them.

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 07:42 AM   #9
Hunter07
I'm a grumpy SOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanders View Post

I don't know about the other guys, but I no longer enjoy going out to steak houses and bbq joints. I like my own cooking better.
Very rarely do we go out to eat. When we do, it's usually downtown, to a local bar that serves up some killer burgers. Like you, I like mine and my wifes cooking much better.
Old 12-21-2022, 07:44 AM   #10
Hunter07
I'm a grumpy SOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by baboon View Post
4 inches thick. Paper towel dry the meat on both sides. Rub in Worcestershire sauce, sprinkle with generous amounts of Kosher salt with course black pepper. let them rest in fridge uncover.

Lump charcoal in a hot fire in a Kamodo. Grill 7 minute, then turnover 15 minutes per side with lid down. Cook to 140 for Blue rare. these went to about 160, a bit over cooked for me. Let rest 10 minutes before boning out the carve on the bias.
Thank you!
Old 12-21-2022, 08:27 AM   #11
aviator
unum de multis

Gator meat is not bad, tastes just like chicken...it really does. A few places in the Everglades serve them.
Old 12-21-2022, 09:33 AM   #12
Hunter07
I'm a grumpy SOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator View Post
Gator meat is not bad, tastes just like chicken...it really does.
I've had deep fried gator in Louisiana. We have friends that live near Ft. Polk. We dropped by to visit them a few years back, and they took us out to a place called "Tunk's" near Alexandria LA. They ordered a huge 'sampler platter' of different meats and seafood, along with side dishes. Dang good food and an evening with good friends, is hard to beat.
Old 12-21-2022, 10:41 AM   #13
MrKalashnikov
Deplorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator View Post
Gator meat is not bad, tastes just like chicken...it really does. A few places in the Everglades serve them.
There's an old-timey roadhouse outside of Tampa called Skipper's that serves deep-fried gator tail. It really does sort of look & taste like chicken, but with a faint seafood flavor. Don't know if it's still there.
MrKalashnikov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 10:46 AM   #14
MrKalashnikov
Deplorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanders View Post

A good place to start with recipes is watching some videos on youtube. bbqpitboys.com is a good place to get some easy recipes. Watch the videos to see how they cook them.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/uZhnpAhYmb0" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Damn that looks good. Those old boys grilled the whole critter and ate it with their hands.
Old 12-21-2022, 10:47 AM   #15
MrKalashnikov
Deplorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by baboon View Post