Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Ammunition and Reloading Forum
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Ammunition and Reloading Forum All about ammunition, reloading and reloading equipment

Old 09-26-2021, 03:24 PM   #1
FloridaAKM
Military Truck Collector

Default Reloading 30.06 FMJ

Found another stash of 30.06 sized, polished & primed brass from 06 & decided load it with 147 grn FMJ BT. After getting the Dillon set up with a hodge poge of parts & adding the IMR-4895, she is dialed in & churning out completed rounds for the 1919a4 to feed on.

Retirement is more fun than I hoped till I run out of brass. Then it is time to empty some brass & start all over again

FloridaAKM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 05:03 PM   #2
JD Miller
slug

I like reloading. Excellent Hobby

Old 09-27-2021, 08:46 AM   #3
FloridaAKM
Military Truck Collector

Yes, it is a rewarding hobby, but has gotten very expensive in the last three years. If you want new equipment, it is all on backorder. If you want powder, brass, bullets or primers, they all are out of stock with no resupply forthcoming. HazMat fees are insane since you get nothing from your money spent.

If you have all your equipment & loads of supplies, you can keep pumping out ammo in these times of no resupply from retailers. Now, I am very happy that every time I saw a good deal on powder, bullets, primers or once fired brass, it was purchased in the largest amount that the wallet could afford.

Now that we have a Russian import ban on the ammo we need, the components for that will have to be sourced as in the past, nobody wanted to do that due to pricing. I've got the dies for that already. 5,45 is the first caliber that comes to mind.
Old 09-27-2021, 10:30 PM   #4
gunkgy

Can you even get "brass" in 5.45? I have only seen steel cased ammo, no brass. I need more of it. I still may reload the larger caliber rounds such as 30-06, 8 Mauser etc. But unless my shoulders get healed up miraculously, my days of shooting them are done. I am settling on using smaller calibers now.
Old 09-28-2021, 10:47 AM   #5
FloridaAKM
Military Truck Collector

I have never seen "brass" 5,45, only steel. Hornady is the only US company that loads 5,45 & they use steel cartridges, berdan primed from Russia & add the powder & projectile, so that will stop when they run out of their steel supply.

You can load steel cases if you can get the berdan primers, due to the steel cases can be reformed & trimmed if not too damaged after firing. It will wear out your dies, but it will take a long time. The other issue is projectiles.

My supply is adequate so as not to worry about running out, but & there always is a but,
if the components can be found, I will try to reload 5,45.

The big deal here is a large project to reload .50 BMG. A few more bits of information are needed to start it as I don't want to load a bunch of wonky .50 caliber ammo.
Old 10-09-2021, 12:08 AM   #6
bill3542

Hornaday now does 5.45x39 brass cases ( Hornaday Black )... I have 4 boxes, boxer primed brass cases and reloadable.

They also make dies and they also make the .2215 diameter bullets sold by various reloading supply places.
bill3542 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 12:13 AM   #7
bill3542

I'm currently reloading some .308 cases for the FAL and got some more reloadable 8mm Mauser brass cases coming.

Gotta have some good stuff for the Yugoslav M24/47 Mausers.

I've been reloading for 45 years know... one of my favorite hobbies.
bill3542 is offline   Reply With Quote