Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Mess Hall
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register

Mess Hall Talk about food. Recipes, grilling, dehydrating, smoking, and BBQs.

Old 05-19-2021, 05:41 AM   #1
baboon
slug

Default 4 am

Got up @ 3:30 & fired up the Kamado. Pork butt with 12 hours of hickory smoke is the plan.

Saturday night I'm going to try my luck on my first brisket. The wife wants her family over to party. We see how that goes.
baboon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 06:09 AM   #2
aviator
unum de multis

That's called dedication. There is no way in hell I'll be firing a grill at 03:00.
Old 05-19-2021, 06:17 AM   #3
baboon
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator View Post
That's called dedication. There is no way in hell I'll be firing a grill at 03:00.
Hell I seldom sleep all night. When i do the brisket I start the fire @ 7:30 the night before to get 18 hours of smoke.

From my late teens I have had jobs that required getting up at stupid hours.
UPS AM Pre-Sort start time was 3:30 AM
Lot of years in the grocery store had 2:00 & 3:00 AM starts. Inventory, holidays, & the even more hated setting a show store for holidays. At first it was cool because it meant my quality of work was on show for all the lesser fucks they had no concept of quality. Then it just got old!
Old 05-19-2021, 08:46 AM   #4
4thIDvet
slug

boon we have in town here the 'Hunters BBQ' each year and I helped with the cooking for several yrs. Now I helped this old timer with the meats and chicken quarters.
We put the butts on the day before the event slow smoking dawn to dusk. Blackened em up and then put them in coolers to sit overnight. Guys brought huge smokers and everyone in town brought a cooler. Feeding like 500+ people.
Next day butts back on early and the chicken quarters in for 5 more hrs. of cooking. I sprayed them with his secret spray mix? every hour or so and tended the fire. The local ladies made homemade beans and coleslaw biscuits and deserts.
In the coolers overnight they rested and almost finished cooking. Huge portions were served and no complaints it was pretty dang good.
Beer sold out front moonshine outback. Old boy passed on and a new crew took over.

ADD: Monies made went to the community store and local library.
Old 05-19-2021, 12:12 PM   #5
REDOAK
Intelligent Posterior

I just looked at Southwest Airline flights to Houston. You'll have that eaten before I get there.
REDOAK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 12:25 PM   #6
aviator
unum de multis

Quote:
Originally Posted by baboon View Post
Hell I seldom sleep all night. When i do the brisket I start the fire @ 7:30 the night before to get 18 hours of smoke.

From my late teens I have had jobs that required getting up at stupid hours.
UPS AM Pre-Sort start time was 3:30 AM
Lot of years in the grocery store had 2:00 & 3:00 AM starts. Inventory, holidays, & the even more hated setting a show store for holidays. At first it was cool because it meant my quality of work was on show for all the lesser fucks they had no concept of quality. Then it just got old!
Your body is used to it, your internal clock says it's time to get up but damn...setting up a grill at that time..one of your neighbors might shoot you thinking you were stealing something.
aviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 12:31 PM   #7
4thIDvet
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator View Post
Your body is used to it, your internal clock says it's time to get up but damn...setting up a grill at that time..one of your neighbors might shoot you thinking you were stealing something.
Hell Fred these Rednecks here would shoot him just for the meat.
4thIDvet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 03:17 PM   #8
baboon
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDOAK View Post
I just looked at Southwest Airline flights to Houston. You'll have that eaten before I get there.
And Houstons 2 1/2 hours away
Old 05-20-2021, 04:22 PM   #9
Hunter07
I'm a grumpy SOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by baboon View Post
Got up @ 3:30 & fired up the Kamado. Pork butt with 12 hours of hickory smoke is the plan.

Saturday night I'm going to try my luck on my first brisket. The wife wants her family over to party. We see how that goes.
Do you have a thermometer with a couple probes, that you can monitor internal temp of the meat? I presume you're gonna make pulled pork sammiches with the pork butt, right? If you are an IT of 205 degrees is optimal to get the fat to breakdown and render out, so the meat will be nice & juicy when you shred it.

As far as brisket, cook by IT also. There's a lot of good recipes out there.

I have about a 15 lb. brisket in the freezer, that I want to smoke. Maybe Memorial Day weekend. I picked up 4 racks of Beef Short Ribs last night on my way home from work. I've always wanted to smoke them but, can never find them in the store.
Hunter07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 04:58 PM   #10
baboon
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter07 View Post
I picked up 4 racks of Beef Short Ribs last night on my way home from work. I've always wanted to smoke them but, can never find them in the store.
Here they are out in the meat case in cryovac like the come from the packing house. You can always ask the meat cutter, they should have some or be able to order them.

I haven't yet bought a fancy thermometer. My Chef buddy had them when I was cooking the whole pigs & they were pretty much chicom junk.

It like on another forum guy mentioned his WiFi controlled blower to control the temp & smoke.
Old 05-20-2021, 07:39 PM   #11
ashhoe

3:30 AM means I only have 3 1/2 hours left of my ridiculous 12 hour shift.
ashhoe is online now   Reply With Quote