Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > C&R Forum
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register

C&R Forum Curio and Relic discussion area

Old 04-22-2006, 02:58 PM   #1
5knives
KaBoom Kontrol Modulator

Default FN-49 in 7MM

A couple of years ago, for no known earthly reason, I purchased a ( NRA VG+ IMO) condition Venezuelan FN-49, in 7 mm.

Only flaw is the automatic bolt hold open plunger or spring is probably missing (a commonly lost or misplaced part i understand) I have not had it apart to find out.

I have decided it's a little on the heavy side to hunt with. And I do not have a clue as to what it's worth. My "Blue Book" is packed away and a couple of years out of date anyway.

And I haven't seen any on Gun Broker.

Can anyone give me a guess as to what it's worth if I decide to sell or trade it?

Thanks in Advance!
Regards,
5knives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 04:38 PM   #2
AKWARRIOR
Gone

5Kinives Ive seen the Venezuelan's in the $500 to $900 range over the years depending on condition,hope this helps.

heres some info I also dug up,

Quote:
FN-49s here in the U.S. can be found chambered in 8mm, 7mm, 30-06, and the Argentines converted from 7.65 to 7.62 NATO. There were 9 different contracts with a total of around 20 variations.

If you're just looking for a "shooter", and a representative example of the breed, you may want to consider looking for an Egyptian contract rifle in 8mm as they are the most common, the cheapest to buy, and the cheapest to feed in most cases. Egyptians can go from $300 to $800 (or more) depending on condition, originality, and what particular variant it is. You could get a mixmaster in relatively good condition for the $300 to $450 range. Century rebuilds (recognized by the beechwood reproduction stock (and usually a plastic buttplate) in good shape can run from $350 up to $550. Correct, original, matching serial number rifles can go from $350 on up depending on condition. Remember that the original finish for FN-49s is black enamel paint so if you see a rifle in some other metal finish . . . it’s not original.

Rifles in all of the other chamberings are getting pricy, and in the case of the 30-06 and 7mm, are more expensive to feed. 30-06 Luxembourg contract rifles can go from the $500 range to over $1000. The 7mm Venezuelan contract rifles can go from around $400 up past $900. There is some cheap 7.62 NATO milsurp ammo around but unfortunately, the Argentine FN-49s in that chambering can go $800 easy enough (and higher) and if you want to burn-up 7.62, a CETME or FAL would be a better deal.

Using the typical "collector" considerations of originality and relative rarity, my humble opinion on the CURRENT FN-49 price/availability/desirability "pecking order," listed in ascending order, would be as shown below. Pricing/desirability within each of these tiers is greatly affected by matching/non-matching and overall condition.

Parts Kit Egyptians (8x57) *
Century rebuilds (8x57) *
Original Egyptians (8x57) *
(* rifles with all original Egyptian parts would tend to be identified in the "original" tier)
Venezuelans (7x57)
Luxembourgs (30-06)
Argentines (converted to 7.62x51)
Colombians (30-06)
Belgians (30-06)
Congolese (30-06) / Indonesians (30-06)
Argentines (still in 7.65) / Brazilians (30-06)
Original sniper models (w/cheekpiece & scope)

Egyptians, Venezuelans, and Luxembourgs are the most common here in the U.S. and can be found without much trouble. Argentines show up for sale every 2 or 3 months on the auction sites. Colombians become available infrequently. Everything past that is really rare in the U.S., are not commonly available (or just flat unavailable), and will tend to be pricey.
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined"-Patrick Henry
AKWARRIOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 08:46 PM   #3
5knives
KaBoom Kontrol Modulator

Thank You AKWARRIOR,

I really appreciate your detailed answer, and the trouble you went to in order to dig all that up.

It appears to be all original, though there's no serial on the muzzle break/flash suppressor and I don't believe the bayonet is an original match.

No importer brands, walnut or similar stock looks original, Only finish wear is where it should be, including the front of the trigger guard which fits the way I would carry it. And the glossy enamel finish looks good, sharp edges show some finish wear of course, just like they should IMO.

Sounds like she falls fairly more or less in the middle and up of that price range.

I'll have to get her out in the sunlight clean her all up, and make an assessment. Then of course I'll decide I just have to take her out to the range.

Then after 40-50 rounds or so I'll decide it's a really neat rifle, and I really don't want to let her go.

My excuse will be that only a collector would really be interested, so I might just as well hang onto her.

That's pretty much how I went from a Win. 94, a Stevens SS .22, and a Win SS shotgun, to a room full of guns ....... plus overflow.

I know how my addiction works, I just don't know how to cure it!

Thanks Again,
5knives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 01:07 AM   #4
AKWARRIOR
Gone

Id really like to see a pic of it,

I think you should hang on to it.While many might be in this country they arent exactly a dime a dozen.

All this talk of battle rifles lately has me craving an SVT40 again.
AKWARRIOR is offline   Reply With Quote