Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Ammunition and Reloading Forum
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Ammunition and Reloading Forum All about ammunition, reloading and reloading equipment

Old 11-27-2021, 01:34 PM   #1
GimpyPaw

Default Why can't I control myself? Range pickups are a pain in the brass

Was always taught to leave a place better than I found it, so even when I wasn't reloading I always picked up my brass. Once I started reloading, a sickness came over me and I'll pick up just about any brass that looks good enough to reload.

Dirty and in the mud? No problem, all range brass gets thrown in a 5 gal bucket with Dawn and Lemi-Shine for a quick cleaning anyway.

Don't currently own a gun in that chambering? Well, I might, someday.

Military crimps? This is where it makes me question my sanity. Thank God my wife is patient and puts up with my kitchen table gun shop.

I usually let the .223 and .308 range brass build up until the coffee can is almost full. Then they get deprimed (I use a punch and hammer, dirty range brass doesn't go in my dies until after it's been cleaned, inspected, and debured), then they go in for a wet tumble before I start removing the crimps and uniforming the primer pockets. Finally they get annealed before they are ready to meet the dies.

Only has to be done once, but it's tedious. I think I would be money and time ahead if I would just buy Lapua brass and ignore the stuff on the ground. Just can't help myself.

So, any other brass scavengers in the house?
GimpyPaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 01:53 PM   #2
baboon
slug

I have a pretty good collection brass on hand. At one point I bought a SS pin tumbler cleaned & sorted most of it. I have having away all the 7.62 brass since.
baboon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 01:55 PM   #3
55chevy

Yeppers I do the same. How ever I leave all the 22 LR and aluminum and steel case thingies.
55chevy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 02:17 PM   #4
GimpyPaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55chevy View Post
Yeppers I do the same. How ever I leave all the 22 LR and aluminum and steel case thingies.
Well yea, that goes without saying. I mean, I've seen videos on youtube of a guy swaging and pressing 22LR brass into 150 grn 22 cal freedom pills, but the cost of the equipment to do that made it seem unrealistic.
GimpyPaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 03:12 PM   #5
55chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GimpyPaw View Post
Well yea, that goes without saying. I mean, I've seen videos on youtube of a guy swaging and pressing 22LR brass into 150 grn 22 cal freedom pills, but the cost of the equipment to do that made it seem unrealistic.
Yes it was even years back when I explored that idea. The stuff to do it was in Orygun, don’t know any more though. Getting to old to pursue that route now. Like the easier routes these days.
55chevy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 03:18 PM   #6
TBR1887

I hate to say I do the same thing. First time I got a batch of military crimp 9mm I was like wtf?
TBR1887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 08:29 AM   #7
bill3542

I have a private range up back and get all different kinds of free brass. Last batch was 108 PMC 223 cases.

Free is always good.
bill3542 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 09:32 AM   #8
FloridaAKM
Military Truck Collector

I am a self professed brass whore, anywhere I go, if there is brass on the ground, it gets picked up & sorted for later cleaning. If no guns in that caliber, trade it for something else useful.

Military crimped brass is no problem as that got sorted out in 1979 when I bought a 1k box of 5.56 fired brass from Robbins Air Force Base out of shotgun news for $20.00 shipped. Now, there are two swagers from Dillion for the reloading bench to remove the crimps.

When I retired, there were all these boxes of brass that were in different levels of reloading that took several weeks to get completed to fully loaded status, but nobody had primers, powder or projectiles. My hoarding paid off as the necessary supplies to load many cases of 5.56, .308, .30 carbine, 9mm, 30.06, .40 cal & .50BMG were waiting in storage.

Free is always good & a fellow filer gave me a couple of buckets of mixed range brass to load & wanted nothing in return.

Life is good!
FloridaAKM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 11:31 AM   #9
Sanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by GimpyPaw View Post
My brother in law does that. Some parts he bought, and some he made on his lathe. Final product is a nice hollow point bullet. Really does a number on coyotes.

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 11:43 AM   #10
Sanders

Got a 7.62x51 and a 5.56 primer pocket swager from Hornady for my Lock n load progressive press. The system works very well, and I’m able to process a lot of brass quickly. Bought them back when I was buying unprocessed surplus brass from Top Brass, before they quit offering that option.
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 11:51 AM   #11
4thIDvet
slug

Smile

"Thank God my wife is patient and puts up with my kitchen table gun shop."

I use my kitchen counter its a bit higher easier to work with. Working in my kitchen on guns it looks like John Browning had a nervous breakdown and took the damn place apart.
Old 11-28-2021, 12:01 PM   #12
RetVet
Statistical Error

I scrounge all reloadable brass
Old 11-29-2021, 12:57 PM   #13
Hunter07
I'm a grumpy SOB

I don't reload, and I don't scrounge brass. What I do is, bring along a large tarp to lay out off to the right side of the spot where I (and the one to three others I shoot with), stand. Ejected brass lands on the tarp. At the end of the session, the tarp gets lifted up, and the brass is funneled into an ice cream bucket. Then when I go out to my friends place to watch mini matches, I take the brass to him.

When we shoot at his place, usually everybody picks up their own brass after each stage of a shoot, and at the end of the match, we line up and police the brass we find, and drop it into a box or bucket.
Hunter07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 07:50 PM   #14
RedAngus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanders View Post
Got a 7.62x51 and a 5.56 primer pocket swager from Hornady for my Lock n load progressive press. The system works very well, and I’m able to process a lot of brass quickly. Bought them back when I was buying unprocessed surplus brass from Top Brass, before they quit offering that option.
Well son of a bitch…When did this come out?

I’ve got two L-N-L AP progressives, and never knew this existed. I bought the Hornady case prep center (big electric trimmer with 6-place tool front to add pocket uniformers, inside/outside demurrers, neck brushes, primer pocket cutters, etc.). God, that thing will wear your fingers out holding cases up to the pocket uniformer and swage cutter.

Anyway, just in time for my wife to get it for me for Christmas…

P.S.- I just finished turning 1000 LC 5.56 into .300 BLK, including full prep and annealing. Damn, what a chore!
Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.
Teddy Roosevelt
RedAngus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 03:34 PM   #15
FL4Real

It's free money sitting on the ground. I've always picked up brass. Decades before I started reloading.
FL4Real is offline   Reply With Quote