Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Foxhole Area > Members Photographs
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register

Members Photographs This area is for photographs taken by forum members and their families and friends.

Old 06-11-2021, 12:36 PM   #1
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Default First layer of base coat on my truck fender

I repaired the damage on my truck fender. I put on 3 coats of two part epoxy and 1 coat of base coat.

After applying the base coat I saw three small areas with small sanding scratches while I was abrading the first base coat. I must have missed those area with 400 grit.

So I sanded the area and applied some glazing putty and sanded it down. Now I have to apply primer again over those places I added glazing putty. Then I have to apply primer again over that area.

Now I can add base coat over that area. After that I will put on two more applications of base coat. After that I will lightly sand the entire fender again and apply 3 applications of clear coat.

What looks like streaks or runs in the paint is soap and reflictions of stuff I have on the driveway.

Old 06-11-2021, 01:49 PM   #2
aviator
unum de multis

I'd let the insurance handle it and replace the whole fender, pay my deductible and get it over with. I have no patience to work on cars.
Old 06-11-2021, 01:58 PM   #3
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator View Post
I'd let the insurance handle it and replace the whole fender, pay my deductible and get it over with. I have no patience to work on cars.
I'd have to pay the deductable. And I was needing to do some work on the truck anyway.

The headlights and turn signal housings were getting foggy. Plus the grill and front bumper had been sandblasted from off-roading in Michigan UP during many camping trips.

I need something to keep me occupied. And I kind of enjoy working on my truck. Not much I can do in the engine compartment anymore because of all the electronics.
Pogo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 03:59 PM   #4
JD Miller
Fake Member

you got some on the tire

Old 06-12-2021, 10:43 PM   #5
500grains
Soldier of Allah

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Miller View Post
you got some on the tire
A belt sander will take that off.

_

I am happy to do mechanical work, but I lack the talent needed for body work.
Old 06-12-2021, 11:28 PM   #6
4thIDvet
slug

My truck does not need painting but I would like another color. Let me know when yah finish yours I will bring mine up.
I got some prices on paint jobs holy sheeet the $29.95 Earl Schibe days are over I guess.
My headlights. Young feller in the auto body shop did mine for me. He used a liquid compound looking stuff and buffed it. 5 minutes and they look brand new out of the box.
I will ask what is was next time I go by their.
Old 09-26-2021, 12:34 PM   #7
dinkydow

If you are using ...base/clear paint that is "activated" by using "hardner"....do not breathe any of the overspray. An organic vapor mask is of no use.

The activated vapor/overspray will enter your lungs and "harden" there.

I lost a pal several years ago who was repainting the inside of his M114 APC using the activated CARC military paint. He had several fans blowing air into and sucking air out of the vehicle. A short time after beginning....he was dead. Axphixiated. His lungs clogged with hardened CARC paint.

Be very careful. Painters use an open face, full head covering hood, with external fresh air delivered via an air hose. Easy to apply paint. Gives great results with minimal prep. I have used it many times as a very experienced body man painter. Yes I have the protective system.

"Let your plans be dark and as impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt."
"Violence of action means the unrestricted use of speed,strength, surprise and aggression to achieve total dominance against your enemy...any fighting technique is useless unless you totally commit to violence of action."

Burning huts in commy vills worldwide since 1968
dinkydow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 12:51 PM   #8
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinkydow View Post
If you are using ...base/clear paint that is "activated" by using "hardner"....do not breathe any of the overspray. An organic vapor mask is of no use.

The activated vapor/overspray will enter your lungs and "harden" there.

I lost a pal several years ago who was repainting the inside of his M114 APC using the activated CARC military paint. He had several fans blowing air into and sucking air out of the vehicle. A short time after beginning....he was dead. Axphixiated. His lungs clogged with hardened CARC paint.

Be very careful. Painters use an open face, full head covering hood, with external fresh air delivered via an air hose. Easy to apply paint. Gives great results with minimal prep. I have used it many times as a very experienced body man painter. Yes I have the protective system.

I used a filtered mask for that purpose.
Old 09-27-2021, 09:04 AM   #9
FloridaAKM
Military Truck Collector

I have several trucks that need repainting & some metal work, but they all have been painted with CARC paint which is expensive & toxic.

The first Deuce was repainted tan before they DRMOed it out of the military, so it looked great. the other tow trucks need pressure washing & then repainting. Another project on the back burner.
FloridaAKM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 06:11 PM   #10
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Here is the fender after straightening out the damage and clear coat applied.

Those white spots are reflection.

2021-06-22_01-45-53 by John Danley, on Flickr
Old 09-28-2021, 09:42 PM   #11
slug

Nice work Sir...
44044 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 10:10 PM   #12
JD Miller
Fake Member

Looks good

Lets see some pin striping

JD Miller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 03:47 PM   #13
dinkydow

Organic filter masks..masks with activated charcoal filters have a limited life once the filter elements are taken out of their sealed wrappers. Filter masks DO NOT remove the particulates that activated paints create..those particles are deadly.
dinkydow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 04:05 PM   #14
Czubek
slug
Cat Bowling Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo View Post
Here is the fender after straightening out the damage and clear coat applied.

Those white spots are reflection.
Dang, that's looking sharp!

And I agree with Dink. You have to be careful what you use for filtration with these paints. They'll mess you up quick and could be irreparable damage done.

Brian

Here at the Dirty Dozen's Bunker, we have no problems, only solutions.
Czubek is offline   Reply With Quote