Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Outdoor Sports & Activities > Camping, Backpacking, Outdoor Survival Skills
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2022, 07:44 AM   #1
Sanders

Default Making Tea From Native Plants

Of course these are just a few, mostly East coast/Appalacian woodlands plants. I know of a few plants in the Southwest that make good teas. Pine leaves being a good one, with its high Vitamin C content. Then there are wild rose hips, blackberry, Navajo tea, dandelion, and several others. The article below is just an example of what's out there as shelves in grocery stores clear out.

Quote:
After the Sons of Liberty dumped thousands of pounds of tea into Boston Harbor in 1773, patriots were faced with a difficult question: just what were they going to put in their teapots now? Since they could no longer in good conscience buy the taxed Bohea tea brought in by the British from China, they maintained that the solution could be found in America’s own native plants.

“If we must, through custom, have some warm tea, once or twice a day,” wrote one Pennsylvania author, “why may we not exchange this slow poison, which not only destroys our constitutions, but endangers our liberty, and drains our country of so many thousands pounds a year, for teas of our own American medicinal plants.”

Soon, several varieties of “Liberty Tea” appeared in teapots throughout the colonies. Many blends featured common kitchen herbs like thyme, sage, and rosemary.

Several others, however, came from wild plants used for centuries by American Indians who passed on their knowledge to the colonists.

After independence, many of these plants were no longer cultivated, although they continued to flourish in the wild. Hardy, beautiful and useful, they are worth rediscovering today.
https://prepperswill.com/making-tea-from-native-plants

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 09:11 AM   #2
baboon
slug

Yaupon Tea is petty common, yaupon actually has caffine.
baboon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 09:15 AM   #3
MrKalashnikov
Deplorable

I've grown sweet mint for years in my yard. It makes a great cup of hot mint tea, and is also good in cold ice tea.
MrKalashnikov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 03:32 PM   #4
gunkgy

I once grew a mint plant in my side yard, by my garage. Dang plant took over the side yard. Neighbors came by and took clippings to start their own.
Old 01-10-2022, 04:04 PM   #5
baboon
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunkgy View Post
I once grew a mint plant in my side yard, by my garage. Dang plant took over the side yard. Neighbors came by and took clippings to start their own.
Mint plants keep lots of insects away, as well as critters.
baboon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 04:49 PM   #6
MrKalashnikov
Deplorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunkgy View Post
That's why I always grow mine in terra cotta pots. If planted on it's own it becomes a Godzilla in your garden and even yard.
MrKalashnikov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 05:51 AM   #7
RetVet
Statistical Error

Mint leaves, Sassafras root, pine needles, strawberry leaves, chicory root, I've made teas with all of them.
Old 06-20-2022, 12:21 PM   #8
Patriot1965

mullein makes a great medicinal tea, and you can use the fuzzy soft leaves to wipe your ass, but dont use then after for tea..lmfao...well unless your into that, one nickname for mullein is cowboy toilet paper..you can use the leaves, flowers and roots for lots of medicinal ailments..
Patriot1965 is offline   Reply With Quote