Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Shotguns
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register

Old 10-29-2010, 11:33 AM   #46
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Bears View Post
I'm sure it will work on the turd colored Zombies too!
I'll bet it will.

Many years ago a Doberman Pinscher knocked my youngest son off his bicycle and bit him. It made the mistake of doing it when I was home.

I hit it broadside with #4 shot and the dog looked like it ran through a meat grinder. Animal control didn't have to bother putting the dog in the pound. They just sent the head in to examine it for rabies.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:01 PM   #47
10 Bears
Ron North's Jewels Champion, Flash Poker Champion

Several years ago I caught the neighbor's dog, out back, eating on the goat it had killed.
This was the second instance, of the same KIND of kill.
I had taken to walking back there WITH the shot gun, to check on 'em.
When I saw him pulling the guts out, I walked straight at him, round chambered, getting as close as possible before pulling the trigger.
I was about 50 feet away when he realized I was there.
He broke, started to run and I nailed him with the first shot, a little more range than I really wanted. He rolled, got up and tried to get away.
Nailed him again and he went down.
I was so phukin piss that I walked up to his carcass and put another load through his head.

Animal control was a woman, who had experienced the exact same problem with one of HER goats, in the past. Cost her a fortune to "repair" her goat.

Neighbor's husband was on my side, after seeing the situation.
But his wife has hated me ever since.
Piss on her.

edit:
By the way, that was #6 shot, that's why it didn't kill him with the first round.
10 Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 05:30 PM   #48
Rew

I did find out in a far away place that 00 Buck is better in penetrating "concealment" #4 would tend to scatter more.
Rew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 04:09 PM   #49
RaySendero

I use the 00.
RaySendero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 06:29 PM   #50
Desert Rat
Junior Woodchuck

00 Buck gets all the publicity so naturally everyone ASSUMES it's the best for all situations.

BS---it ain't.

At one time I did a lot of experimenting with 12 riot gun and various sizes or shot. My results indicated to me that the best anti-personnel load was #2 shot.

Close up the 00 buck was horrific...but from a shot barreled shotgun, as range opened up, chances of getting hit by more than one or two pellets went down RAPIDLY.

Conversely, with #2 shot it would still shred doors and walls as good as 00 and such but your chance of escaping a face full of shot were never good out to any reasonable shotgun range.

Damn few mortals could stand up to any sort of blast from such and no one who ever walked into a swarm of #2 would come back for seconds.

Also inside a home environment, your chances of containing the battle to the room you are in were pretty good. Not likely to kill the kids in the next room or the neighbor out raking his leaves next door.
Desert Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 02:12 AM   #51
5knives
KaBoom Kontrol Modulator

The often unsaid part about OO superiority, is that it's a SHORT range proposition.

Open or imp. cyl. 20-25 yrds MAX.

Full choke only gets it to a maximum 30-35 yards or so very rarely 40.

And yup!, the number of pellets on target is the limiter, a good full choke, with buffered shot SHOULD put at least 3 on a man size target at 30 yards maybe 35, but you have to test it to be sure.

There's a reason most jailers and guards, have to 'qualify' with the shotgun and 00 at 50 to 60 feet with their Imp. Cy;. 'riot guns' ... and a 55 gallon drum as a target.

Greater distance or smaller target would be un-realistic.

Indoor home ranges, say 25-30 feet max are a different story. Worst pattern I ever saw at that range was 10". But they all open up pretty quick after that.

Buck n ball, is a reasonable alternative, just as it was during the 'disagreement between the states' really a beter choice against single targets, but not for home use if you sweat 'over penetration'.

00 remains King against a group at close range though. IMHO of course. cause even 1 or 2 .32 calibers are goint to at least slow you down some.

But I'm pretty sure that's why they called them riot guns and Trench guns. 'cause that's where they worked best.

Regards,
5knives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 08:02 AM   #52
Rew

E-yup aint got much range, but more than my Ka-bar. Also learned recently that my little double couch gun scares the heck out of people. I answer my front door from the upstairs bedroom window.
Rew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:37 PM   #53
HK-91

I alternate #00 and a slug. Just in case.
HK-91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:04 PM   #54
kostner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2rogers View Post
ooooooooo i like slugs! they poke a large hole in most everything
Just started casting Lee 1 oz. slugs and like the way they shoot. Have only used XX gr. of Red Dot to push them but its the same charge used in my
00 buck load. Both are easy shooting and are accurate on the target used.
Will have to test them at 50 yards to be sure. Any recommendations for improvement on these loads?
kostner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:29 PM   #55
500grains
Soldier of Allah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo View Post
I'll bet it will.

Many years ago a Doberman Pinscher knocked my youngest son off his bicycle and bit him. It made the mistake of doing it when I was home.

I hit it broadside with #4 shot and the dog looked like it ran through a meat grinder. Animal control didn't have to bother putting the dog in the pound. They just sent the head in to examine it for rabies.
Excellent work!
Old 09-09-2013, 06:25 PM   #56
10 Bears
Ron North's Jewels Champion, Flash Poker Champion

I have a little brass mold for .30 cal. round ball.
A handfull of those in my BP 12 ga. will do a lot of damage.
10 Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:00 AM   #57
WWes
Dud

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500grains View Post
I have heard that people who have actually tested buckshot recommend no. 4 buck for personal defense. Just like cops used to use 158 grain lead round noses in the .38 even though it was not the most effective, so too they used the 9 pellet 00 buck round instead of the 41 pellet no. 4 buck round. Does anyone have personal experience with both to lend an objective viewpoint?
I think I do. Much interesting reading here and there always is when talking shotgun rounds for anything. I love Federal 3" Magnum 000 and also a big fan of the reduced charge 9 pellet 2 3/4 supposedly designed for female troopers. Reliable and consistent for the anticipated ranges for my older, larger residence. 000 for me but with someone smaller in stature in the house the smaller load is fine...Standard 12 pellet 00 should be the easiest standby for practice by cost and availability

Once she's got that, we'll move her on up.

But the 4 Buck? I found it horrible in 2 3/4 and 3" magnum. Harder recoil and harsher report than the 3" 000 magnum. I'm not a large person. They print a wicked silhouette spread and I'd guess a dept. PR chose that spread to demonstrate power to the press. I remember my first 5 round box well. And every subsequent box, the Remington 2 3/4 were simply abusive. Equal if not worse than the 3" Mags. Few things shooting related I'll bitch about. 4 Buck is #1, I think it sucks.

My observation but I think PD's went for 4 Buck for the print on paper and the fact that it's unpleasant to fire. Impress the public, spend less.

And bear in mind at the time of my extensive experimentation I had lots of friends being rural. Everybody brings a shotgun. Good times! Nobody claimed 4 Buck love or superiority. We sampled every brand of everything.
I'll never buy another box of 4 Buck to see if it's better, I've got other stuff.

I know, the thread's from '09
WWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 01:06 AM   #58
303tom

I use straight #2 shot in a 2&3/4 in. max. load.................
303tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:09 AM   #59
buzgun
slug

i have a dedicated shotgun for people or animals fucking with me on my property..it has a magazine loaded with a combination of #.4 and something called "Law enforcement buckshot" that i bought from J&G sales...it kicks very hard on both ends i imagine.

This is a good thread.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:37 AM   #60
Gus

Quote:
Originally Posted by xm774u View Post
when i lived in alaska the bear load was slugs everyone said slugs oo buck is to small .wont do a thing on a grizz well i pulled my 1990 outdoor life mag i kept with a story hunters shoot charging grizz with bird shot i guess the guy blew his jaw off with no 6 then busted his sholdier with no6 point being
no attack ! i bet anyone shot with cheap no 7 shot will retreat and die
espically from 20 ft in the home . use what you have people i would not

charge a guy with a 10-22 and a 30 rd mag! oo buck ya i buy it no4 i buy it
but cheap no 7 will do it to heck shoot me with A BB GUN ILL DROP TO MY
NEEZ . GO RALFIE! CRISTMAS STORY

Shot within 20' a torso shot would embed their spine in the wall behind them.

Nobody functions without a spine, don't matter how big they are. JMHO of course
Gus is offline   Reply With Quote