Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Shotguns
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2011, 02:52 PM   #1
AKWARRIOR
Gone

Default Stevens shotguns....interesting

I noticed an ad for one of their shotguns.It looks almost exactly the same as my Norinco Ithaca 37 clone with the ghost rings and heat shield.I wonder if they bought rights from Ithaca?Being marketed as the model 350.Looks like the finish is better on the Stevens specimen.Hopefully that's the case and it isn't just a name slapped on an import.

Stevens 350

and here's what I have,

Norinco made 37,

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined"-Patrick Henry
AKWARRIOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:51 AM   #2
Czubek
slug
Cat Bowling Champion

Could well be an import. A lot of them are these days. I'm surprised at the quality of some of them.

How do you like that Norinco 37?

Brian

Here at the Dirty Dozen's Bunker, we have no problems, only solutions.
Czubek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:33 AM   #3
Railbuggy

My favorite shotty.I like the 12ga Featherlite police special.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:05 PM   #4
AKWARRIOR
Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czubek View Post
Could well be an import. A lot of them are these days. I'm surprised at the quality of some of them.

How do you like that Norinco 37?

Brian

Its never given me a problem.I've shot most everything through it(Slugs,shot,buck,3" and down),hasn't been picky.Everything is made of steel except the stock and forend.No plastic trigger guards like on the newer 870's and some others.I picked it up back when you couldn't find much on the market with ghost rings unless you bought a 590 or got custom work done.Paid under $200 for it.

From what I have been able to find,Stevens is importing these from China as I suspected with their name stamped on it.So far it looks like there is a mixed bag of 50/50 reviews on them which is what the IAC versions like mine have gotten over the years.Glad I got a keeper with no issues thus far.Canada imported a bunch that were labeled YL12-IJ4.I haven't tried swapping out any real Ithaca parts so I have no idea if they are interchangeable.I have to wonder how they bypass the longstanding import ban we have had on Chinese firearms though?I thought the same thing when all the cowboy action Winchester 97 clones started being imported.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:07 AM   #5
Czubek
slug
Cat Bowling Champion

Ok good, that's what I wanted to hear. There's an older one locally for cheap.

As far as getting imports in from China, I think "sporting" added to the type gets them by???

Brian
Czubek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 01:24 PM   #6
5knives
KaBoom Kontrol Modulator

Had two of the chinese copies, one 'sporting" version (28" bbl), one riot giun (18.5 " bbl). configuration

Both functioned very well, no problems.

Fit and finish was a litle ragged on both, but not where it mattered.

Only sold them because the riot had a disconnector and the 'sporter' did not ... the exact opposite of what I wanted.

Bought both for a bit less than $200 each (2004-2005) and consider them both to be good buys.

I will be looking seriously at the Stevens. Much as I like the Mossey's I like the weight, balance and reliability of the browning design a tad better. Fewer parts for one thing, and about all that ever wears out is the shell lifters (though usually they just get bent by idiots.) like the ithicas once bent the ONLY fix is replace with new.

Regards,
5knives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 03:09 PM   #7
Sanders

The Ithaca model 37 is my favorite pump shotgun. Serial # says it was made in 1938 or '39, I forget which.

The only time I've had trouble is when I didn't lube the gun before putting a couple hundred shells through. Then I have to pry the empty hull from the chamber. A few squirts of oil, and I'm back in business.

Been running with a cracked shell lifter for years. I keep meaning to replace it, but it keeps on keeping on.

Killed lots of birds and even more clays with it. I'd like one of those chink copies, if I run across one at a decent price.

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:25 PM   #8
Rew

Friend of mine has an original. It's a hunter with 28" barrel. Good shotty, I like my Winny's but the Ithaca will do just fine.
Rew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:22 AM   #9
Frogman

Had a chance to buy a Ithaca 16Ga at a yard sale a couple years ago and passed, probably a mistake on my part, but 16 is getting harder to find & it was a newer model that had a thin blue job & was about 65 to 70% condition.

"I love this country, it's the government I'm afraid of"
Frogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:56 AM   #10
dcjake

the chinese copys are a tad heavier than the orginal ithacas, my orginal ithacas all seem to work a little smoother also,
dcjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 06:42 PM   #11
AKWARRIOR
Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcjake View Post
the chinese copys are a tad heavier than the orginal ithacas, my orginal ithacas all seem to work a little smoother also,
+1
Old 06-25-2011, 08:40 PM   #12
5knives
KaBoom Kontrol Modulator

Betcha none are as heavy as my BPS "Deer & Turkey Special".

My wife's youth 20 gauge BPS is one of the sweetest little shotguns I've ever fired.

Test for a well broken in Ithaca,

Be certain it's unloaded, close the action, stick the muzzle straight up, and press the slide release, The action will open ALL the way, just from the weight of the pump action and the fore-stock alone. If you have an Ithaca or clone that won't do that, run 3-4,000 shells through her and try again.

Regards,
5knives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:00 PM   #13
Sanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5knives View Post
Test for a well broken in Ithaca,

Be certain it's unloaded, close the action, stick the muzzle straight up, and press the slide release, The action will open ALL the way, just from the weight of the pump action and the fore-stock alone. If you have an Ithaca or clone that won't do that, run 3-4,000 shells through her and try again.

Regards,
Guess mine is broke in.
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:22 PM   #14
2rogers

i fondled 1 of these new ones at a local store,,, and liked it, alot! never really been the biggest fan of the bottom ejector, but if it works, it works.
2rogers is offline   Reply With Quote