Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Mess Hall
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register

Mess Hall Talk about food. Recipes, grilling, dehydrating, smoking, and BBQs.

Old 10-05-2010, 03:33 PM   #1
Fj3fury
Non hyphenated American

Default Olive oil, variations and dishes

I like using it as it is a bit more heart healthy than some other oils for cooking. I took some fresh garlic from Roxy's aunt that was really oily in its own right, diced it up and chunked it in a bottle of extra virgin for sauteing vegetables and meats. I opened it up after a day er so and Roxy could smell it from a few feet away.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:54 PM   #2
aviator
unum de multis

Extra virgin is the best, however, if you heat it up to 350 Deg as for frying, it loses all the good properties and becomes just a regular oil.

Extra virgin olive oil, garlic and tomatoes are all extremely healthy, along with red table wine, that's why in Europe folks have less heart attacks than we do....plus the fact that they walk more than we do.

A healthy tomato diet helps prevent colon cancer, extra virgin olive oil increases your good cholesterol level (HDL) and garlic is Natures best antibiotic, plus it improves blood flow and capillary circulation...It also keeps vampires away.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:17 PM   #3
Fj3fury
Non hyphenated American

The other day I bought a deli sandwich from the local grocery store, dribbled the garlic/olive oil mix, balsamic vinegar, and mustard on it mmm mmm. I also tried it in a pork, zucchini, onion, and bell pepper stir fry and it was far superior to canola oil.
Fj3fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 04:20 PM   #4
baboon
slug

Be careful with the garlic in the oil, as it's been linked to Botulism

Garlic bulbs grow underground. Clostridium Botulinum is a bacteria found in most soil so it’s always on root vegetables. Usually, the bacteria is killed when the root or bulb is removed from the soil and exposed to the air. Cooking also kills the bacteria which is why canned vegetables always say, “heat to a boil” on the instructions.

The toxic situation occurs when you put fresh garlic in oil and keep it at room temperature. You see bacteria are anerobic meaning they thrive in an airless environment. Oil is a perfect airless environment. The warmer bacteria are, the more they proliferate. So room temperature rather than refrigeration means a population boom for the microscopic critters.

To be safe, a garlic and oil mixture, has to be refrigerated AND it has to have some acid agent like citric or phosphoric acid added.
baboon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 04:21 PM   #5
flopshot
Constitutional bigot

i save the extra virgin for straight use and go with the lesser grades for sauteing and homemade salad dressing or marinades. a tablespoon of extra virgin on a frozen pizza really makes a big difference.
flopshot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 06:40 PM   #6
baboon
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by flopshot View Post
i save the extra virgin for straight use and go with the lesser grades for sauteing and homemade salad dressing or marinades. a tablespoon of extra virgin on a frozen pizza really makes a big difference.
Its also nice over lean cuts of meats like venison.
baboon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 06:53 PM   #7
aviator
unum de multis

I use it for just about everything except frying.

In regards to the garlic and oil, you never mix them up raw, you always saute the garlic on a bit of oil before hand to kill anything, but don't overdo it. I like to press mine, it activates all the good enzymes, the run it through the oil for a couple of minutes so it leaves the taaste. Or....you can always roast it in the oven, then squeeze it out into the oil.
aviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 06:57 PM   #8
RTO

We use a lot of EVOO here. Canola is second for some recipes and Crisco vegetable shortening for others.

The garlic in the olive oil bottle was great, then I wanted basil in olive oil, etc. We went back to just EVOO in the bottle that we keep by the stove and when a special recipe is involved I will prepare the olive oil if necessary earlier in the day.

We use Filippo Berio olive oil most of the time. What do you guys use?

Make America Like Florida
RTO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:36 PM   #9
5knives
KaBoom Kontrol Modulator

Been using the STAR brand from wally world, 3 liter tin, keeps incredibly well, and in the long run way cheaper than those brands sitting in the light in clear glass bottles, slowly turning rancid, faster in the clear bottles. Full an old French's Worcerstershire brown bottle and it keeps well next to the stove.

We use extra virgin olive oil for everything except frying or baking, that gets Canola.

frequently use it on bread or toast instead of butter, ofren a thick slice of homemade bread dipped in a little olive oil and salet with a pinch of Italian seasoning, and a dash of garlic. is lunch, prior to last April a glass of red wine with it, today a glass of water. still mighty good.

BTW, The best olive oil comes from Spain not Italy as most folks think., little known factoid. Figures though, Spain is the largest producer of all olive oil.

Regards,
5knives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:08 PM   #10
aviator
unum de multis

I agree on the best olive oil coming from Spain, Italy is probably second. My wife buys some Italian brand though, but doesn't have the same fine olive taste the Spanish ones have. There is a Spanish restaurant in town that uses some brand I've never heard of, I even wrote it down one time but still couldn't find it anywhere, it is the best I've ever tasted. I'll ask them about it next time I go there.
aviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:33 PM   #11
10 Bears
Ron North's Jewels Champion, Flash Poker Champion

Any idea if the "olives" from a Russian Olive tree can be pressed for oil?
Just curious, we have tons of those trees around here.
10 Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:38 AM   #12
Sanders

I use olive oil in everything - including backing cakes. It gives the cake a little different flavor, but not bad.

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:48 AM   #13
RetVet
Statistical Error

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanders View Post
I use olive oil in everything - including backing cakes. It gives the cake a little different flavor, but not bad.
You can substitute that oil in the cake for a like quantity of apple sauce. No difference in taste or texture that I can tell.

If I use oil in anything it's olive oil.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:58 AM   #14
Czubek
slug
Cat Bowling Champion

I like using extra virgin for just about everything, except frying. For that we found a blend of extra virgin olive oil and canola. Seems that it has the best qualities of both.

Brian

Here at the Dirty Dozen's Bunker, we have no problems, only solutions.
Czubek is offline   Reply With Quote