Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > C&R Forum
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register

C&R Forum Curio and Relic discussion area

Old 03-29-2017, 06:56 PM   #1
RetVet
Statistical Error

Default A salute to Roy Mills.... NOT!

Who is Roy Mills? Beats me. Never met him, probably never will. I have no idea where Roy comes from, where he might be, or even if he's among the living. What I do know about ol' Roy, is that he signed his handy work.

Roy, apparently, was a previous owner of a certain rifle I just acquired. A very rare rifle, A rifle considered to be a crowning jewel of most Enfield rifle collections.

Why all this chatter about Roy? Simple. Roy, I must assume because not many would engrave their name on a rifle unless they were proud of their handy work, was the genius, the rocket scientist, the Apostle Paul of the dremel tool. The man who sporterized the 1924 Enfield Mk V Trials rifle I now own.

Roy apparently didn't know that only 20,000 were produced and many of those are long gone to use, war, bottom of the English channel, who knows. All I know is that an unmolested specimen in decent shape fetches around $2000 or so.

Roy has one saving grace. He wasn't foolish enough to cut down the barrel. He savaged the stock, but I can overcome that. He discarded the top wood. I can deal with that too. Not an easy part to make, but this rifle is worth the effort. The one part Roy fucked up that will be hard to correct, and would be the most expensive to replace, is the aperture of the rear sight. Apparently Roy didn't like peep sights, so Roy bastardized this one beyond the point of no return. There is a business in Britain that remakes that part true to original specs. The cost? Only about 650 pounds! That's about $800 US!

Oh well. We'll see. I intend to restore this war dog. I don't care how long it takes. It's mine now. Pics when I get a chance later this week.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:44 PM   #2
REDOAK
Intelligent Posterior

Now THAT'S how you (Roy Mills) earn a dumbass card.
REDOAK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 08:39 PM   #3
RTO

Good luck with that Dave.

I have a Type 99 Arisaka that 'Johnny' carved that name into the right side of the stock. Granted it will never be worth the value of that Enfield and probably never be worth a lot but I guess that he just couldn't help himself. He didn't even bother to carve his last name into it.

Make America Like Florida
RTO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 09:27 PM   #4
JD Miller
Fake Member

No pictures of Roy's rifle?
Old 03-31-2017, 03:52 PM   #5
MrKalashnikov
Deplorable

Talking

Roy Mills has gone by many names over the decades. He has defiled countless thousands of once-valuable & collectible vintage firearms. However I have always referred to him simply as...."Bubba".
MrKalashnikov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 06:10 PM   #6
cerberus
Dud

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDOAK View Post
earn a dumbass card.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTO View Post
He didn't even bother to carve his last name into it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKalashnikov View Post
"Bubba".
Do I take it that you gentlemen consider 'all' sporterizing to be bad?
Back in the late '50s and early '60s there were ads in the back of gun magazines where you could send away for a sporterized 1917 or 03A3 complete with a mounted scope for $59.95. Back then, that was a krap-load of newspaper delivery and snowshoveling. I had already gotten my $49.95 Garand and my $39.95 SXS 16ga Fox w/ French Walnut stock, so coming up with another 60 bucks wasn't happening. And then life got in the way.
Today I have 6 sporterized longguns; 2 M/N that I did, after making sure they weren't 'special', a beautiful 03A3 S/C 30.06 w/ Herters 4X33 scope(Period to mid-60s), and a 1917 with adjustable diopter rear sight and a stock that looks like mahogany with some birdseyes(also period to mid-60s).
No one ever thought that a 1917 or an 03A3 would sell for $1200 or more. When the sporter models were selling for $60 back in the '60s the 'unmolested' ones were selling for $19.95.
When I come across these sporterized rifles, I always try to pick them up(as long as it's not a hacksaw special). I think they are a neat part of firearm history, that I couldn't afford back 'when it was the thing to do'.
cerberus
cerberus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 08:22 PM   #7
THE DUDE

Quote:
The man who sporterized the 1924 Enfield Mk V Trials rifle I now own.

oh what the fuck..

i almost bought one last month - $1600.
Old 04-02-2017, 01:40 PM   #8
RetVet
Statistical Error

This last one shows the ground down rear sight aperture. It would be one thing if it were ground into something useful, but this one ended up a partial half moon that ain't worth a shit. Totally useless. Sorry Roy, but that was one retarded move.
RetVet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 04:22 PM   #9
Bluntforce
slug

Thumbs down

There's a special vat of burning shit in Hell for the desecrators of rare C&Rs.
Old 04-02-2017, 04:27 PM   #10
4thIDvet
slug

Damn fine rifle RetVet that is a shame. But their may me hope? See if you can find some fine metal worker that can work a miracle and get the meat heads name off their.
Old 04-02-2017, 04:51 PM   #11
JD Miller
Fake Member

http://www.simpsonltd.com/advanced_s...e59812&x=3&y=6
JD Miller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 08:39 PM   #12
RetVet
Statistical Error

I can deal with everything but the sight. The name was carved into the butt plate, an easy swap. I have access to a machine shop, but those guys are slower than molasses in making me parts. I'll try.

I don't have a huge problem with people sporterizing, I don't promote it by any stretch. I don't buy anything that's been butchered unless I know I can reverse the damage.
RetVet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 11:33 AM   #13
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

That is a neat find RetVet.
Old 04-09-2017, 07:08 PM   #14
REDOAK
Intelligent Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerberus View Post
Do I take it that you gentlemen consider 'all' sporterizing to be bad?
Back in the late '50s and early '60s there were ads in the back of gun magazines where you could send away for a sporterized 1917 or 03A3 complete with a mounted scope for $59.95. Back then, that was a krap-load of newspaper delivery and snowshoveling. I had already gotten my $49.95 Garand and my $39.95 SXS 16ga Fox w/ French Walnut stock, so coming up with another 60 bucks wasn't happening. And then life got in the way.
Today I have 6 sporterized longguns; 2 M/N that I did, after making sure they weren't 'special', a beautiful 03A3 S/C 30.06 w/ Herters 4X33 scope(Period to mid-60s), and a 1917 with adjustable diopter rear sight and a stock that looks like mahogany with some birdseyes(also period to mid-60s).
No one ever thought that a 1917 or an 03A3 would sell for $1200 or more. When the sporter models were selling for $60 back in the '60s the 'unmolested' ones were selling for $19.95.
When I come across these sporterized rifles, I always try to pick them up(as long as it's not a hacksaw special). I think they are a neat part of firearm history, that I couldn't afford back 'when it was the thing to do'.
cerberus
No, I don't consider sporterizing bad. Engraving a name I consider bad.
REDOAK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 11:27 PM   #15
Rick-a-Roo
Gaw' Blimey Limey
Rabbit Hunter Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion, Helicopter Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Snake Champion, Space Invaders Champion, Yeti Sports 1- Long Shot Version Champion, Balloon Hunter Champion, AirFox Champion, QB Challenge Champion, Pepsi Pinball Champion

I bought a sporterized Enfield just like RetVet's at an auction here in the Big Ugly 23
years ago for $25.00.

Took it apart to clean it right away. The barreled action is still in my bedroom closet, I
believe the stocks are as well; the "works", barrel bands and other small item are still
in a plastic tray in the attic where I haven't set foot in maybe fourteen years.

Yeah, one day I'll gather the bits and bobs, odd and sods and other gubbin's, clean it all
up and sell it - will probably take something of a loss on it.