Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Outdoor Sports & Activities > Fishing, Boating, Canoeing, Kayaking
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2015, 08:01 PM   #1
Sanders

Default Decent starter kayak?

I know some of you all are kayakers, and I've decided I want to start in the sport.

I'm looking for something that will allow me to go in shallow rivers, creeks, and still be able to go out on lakes.

Keep in mind that I'm not a little guy, either. Does size matter with the kayaks and size of the person?

I found this one on Craigs list, as an example - a 10' boat. Should I think about a longer one?

http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/boa/5068123145.html

What should I look for as far as quality and price goes?

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 08:45 PM   #2
baboon
slug

I've thought about getting a kayak. When I got to thinking about it I figured a canoe would be a better option. When I priced what I wanted in a canoe I figured the money could be used for guns & ammo.
baboon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:02 PM   #3
10 Bears
Ron North's Jewels Champion, Flash Poker Champion

I prefer a flat bottom canoe, in most cases they are self righting.
Unless you have an idiot with you that wants to stand up.
Floatation chambers in the bow and the stern help also.

I'm not a kayaker, now Pogo can give you some good pointers though.
10 Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:25 AM   #4
Sanders

I've had some bad canoe experiences.

Besides, I'm afraid I'll lose all my guns if I get a canoe.
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:47 AM   #5
Czubek
slug
Cat Bowling Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanders View Post
I've had some bad canoe experiences.

Besides, I'm afraid I'll lose all my guns if I get a canoe.
Some of us already have. Dang meteorite hit right close and rolled us over.

Brian

Here at the Dirty Dozen's Bunker, we have no problems, only solutions.
Czubek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 09:16 AM   #6
Stoned_Oli
King of S'marm

That boat in your link is a pretty nice one, and the money isn't too bad for the boat.

Perception makes really good boats, stay away from Pelicans though...
If you don't mind a sit on top, the Dimension Typhoon is a very stable choice, used by rental places for years. Sometimes in the off season you can get used ones from your local outfitter. Sometimes they even have the pod for the back...
Being a larger fellow, you will likely want a 10' or so kayak. More length = more weight capacity and better tracking, but longer boats are slower to handle on creeks.
I believe 10.5' would be a sweet spot for all around usage... I currently have a 9.5' for my 200 lbs...

A friend of ours has a 12' Patriot that seems pretty nice, with a very large cockpit opening.

Old Town kayaks are tippy as hell under 10' FYI. The little gal above had a sit in OT and we have a sit on, and they both go over pretty easily.

BTW, considering lake use. It is much easier getting back into the boat when you can't touch bottom with a sit on top... a sit in is almost impossible to get back into in deep water. The odds on tipping on a lake are very low though.
“But rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add ‘within the limits of the law’ because law is often but the tyrant’s will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.”

~ Thomas Jefferson to Issac Tiffany, 1816
Stoned_Oli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 12:12 PM   #7
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Sanders, you are a big guy. You might ask him if you could try it out before buying it. That looks like it would be too small for you.

As mentioned by Stoned_Oli, it depends on what kind of water you will be in and what you want to do.

I don't do whitewater kayaking so I prefer a larger kayak. I have a 12' and a 14' Pungo by Wilderness Systems. They are a little wider and are very stable. They are good for fishing out of. They have a slight keel which makes it better for large open bodies of water. If you are going to be kayaking
in shallow creeks, you are better off without a keel.

My wife used a 12' Carolina by Perception. We liked going out into Lake Michigan and Lake Superior on days when there was little wind. I have an 18' wooden kayak which is sleeker and made for open water.
I've had it out on Lake Superior when there was a brisk wind. It handled well in that situation. I've also had it out in the Gulf of Mexico and the Atlantic.

If you are older and not real flexible, you might want to think about getting one with a large cockpit. It makes it a lot easier to get in and out. And a
sit on top is even easier to get on and off. I like large cockpits myself. My wood kayak does have a small cockpit which makes it nice for using a full skirt when in big water.

Here 14' Pungo

3 by John Danley, on Flickr

Kayak on Cart by John Danley, on Flickr

And my 12' Pungo

Pungo with rod holder by John Danley, on Flickr

And my blue 12' Pungo that I bought for my grandkids. This is my friend in it now.

5 by John Danley, on Flickr

And my 18' wood kayak. Notice the small cockpit.

This is where I store most of my kayaks.

And this is my son taking the grankids kayaking. He's using my kayak trailor.