Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Outdoor Sports & Activities > Camping, Backpacking, Outdoor Survival Skills
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register

Old 06-10-2023, 08:51 PM   #1
Johnny

Default Anybody else into pitching horseshoes?

It's an older sport, starting in 1909 I believe. Its original inspiration dates back to Roman times.

My Dad was a stellar horseshoe player. Unfortunately, he never really gave us any lessons. I just remember this weird twist he'd do to make the shoe fly flat and steady with a gentle spin.

For the past year or so, I've been practicing. I set up a horseshoe pit, bought a bunch of vintage, used horseshoes, painted them and have been trying to replicate Dad's style. Some of the horseshoes I bought are likely over 100 years old. I don't want any modern shoes. I only want stuff my Dad might have used. Need to keep things fair, you know!

I haven't come close to getting "good", am still very inconsistent, but am seeing some slow improvement. Most importantly, I'm having fun doing it. Whenever I have 30 minutes to kill, I hit the horseshoe pit.
Johnny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 11:19 PM   #2
4thIDvet
slug

A cold drink of choice BBQ smoking and horseshoes flyin. You don't get a more American get together than that.
Old 06-11-2023, 11:57 AM   #3
REDOAK
Intelligent Posterior

I'm not too bad at it. It would have been easier if I removed them from the horse first.
REDOAK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 12:35 PM   #4
4thIDvet
slug

Spinz

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDOAK View Post
I'm not too bad at it. It would have been easier if I removed them from the horse first.
4thIDvet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 04:01 PM   #5
Sanders

I spent hours and hours throwing horseshoes - before the dang internet. First thing anyone did when we had a family get together or camping trip was pull out the tape and measure out a horseshoe pitch and drive the stakes.

Nobody I know plays anymore, though. I remember when every public park had a row of horseshoe pits, as common as basketball courts and tennis courts. Seems everything is getting bulldozed over to make way for soccer fields.

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 08:22 PM   #6
Johnny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanders View Post
I spent hours and hours throwing horseshoes - before the dang internet. First thing anyone did when we had a family get together or camping trip was pull out the tape and measure out a horseshoe pitch and drive the stakes.

Nobody I know plays anymore, though. I remember when every public park had a row of horseshoe pits, as common as basketball courts and tennis courts. Seems everything is getting bulldozed over to make way for soccer fields.
Exactly! That's why I'm on a 1-man mission to bring back the sport!

I've got beautiful horseshoe pits, completely shaded by mature pines with a pine log back stop. Nobody I know cares or is interested. No biggie. I'm completely content. It's a great time.

What I like about horseshoes is not necessarily the game, but the history behind it. It's a glimpse into better times. That's one of the reasons I insisted on using only antique horseshoes from the 1940's and earlier. The shoes I'm throwing have been used by many long-dead people before me; perhaps even my own Dad!
Old 06-12-2023, 10:46 AM   #7
GARANDNUT
Pontificator Maximus

I like all of the old yard games. My favorite is probably croquet but my yard is ill suited for it. I bet the reason you do not see horse shoes in public parks anymore is because they feel it is a liability.
GARANDNUT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 11:15 AM   #8
JD Miller
Fake Member

Lawn Darts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawn_darts
Old 06-12-2023, 01:18 PM   #9
4thIDvet
slug

Cornhole game.

Cornhole (also known regionally as sack toss, cornball or bags) is a lawn game popular in North America in which players or teams take turns throwing fabric bean bags at a raised, angled board with a hole in its far end

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornhole#Rules_and_format

GARANDNUT may be correct I never thought of the liability.
Cornhole? Don't laugh just yet. Our VFW just put out a game on Memorial weekend with a $1,000 first place prize.
500+ people showed up. $$
Old 06-12-2023, 07:48 PM   #10
Johnny

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thIDvet View Post
Cornhole game.

Cornhole (also known regionally as sack toss, cornball or bags) is a lawn game popular in North America in which players or teams take turns throwing fabric bean bags at a raised, angled board with a hole in its far end

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornhole#Rules_and_format

GARANDNUT may be correct I never thought of the liability.
Cornhole? Don't laugh just yet. Our VFW just put out a game on Memorial weekend with a $1,000 first place prize.
500+ people showed up. $$
Cornhole is essentially replacing horseshoes. I've never played it, but I can see some advantages. Bean bags are safer, lighter, and easier to toss. Looks like fun.

To me, cornhole just doesn't have the same historic and nostalgic "cool factor" as horseshoes.
Old 06-12-2023, 08:36 PM   #11
4thIDvet
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
Cornhole is essentially replacing horseshoes. I've never played it, but I can see some advantages. Bean bags are safer, lighter, and easier to toss. Looks like fun.

To me, cornhole just doesn't have the same historic and nostalgic "cool factor" as horseshoes.
No but when some damn drunk hits a chick in the cranium with a bean bag it doesn't hurt as much as a horseshoe.
Or yah clip a horseshoe off Merc's noggin and yah wake up on your back in the E.R.
Old 06-13-2023, 08:20 AM   #12
Johnny

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thIDvet View Post
No but when some damn drunk hits a chick in the cranium with a bean bag it doesn't hurt as much as a horseshoe.
Or yah clip a horseshoe off Merc's noggin and yah wake up on your back in the E.R.
Last year I filled in at a horseshoe tournament at an AMVETS. It was actually a pretty good time. Definitely an older crowd though. Despite a bit of drinking among the contestants, nobody got hit by a horseshoe. Kinda surprised me.
Old 06-13-2023, 09:09 AM   #13
MrKalashnikov
Deplorable

I played the game quite a bit as a kid. Our neighbors across the street had a sand pit in their backyard built for 'shoes. Summer evenings over there tossing, the adults all smoking & having cocktails or beer, the kids drinking little cokes or lemonade. I can still hear the "clank" of the shoes hitting the iron rod.

Have not played for many a moon.
MrKalashnikov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 11:18 PM   #14
Johnny

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKalashnikov View Post
I played the game quite a bit as a kid. Our neighbors across the street had a sand pit in their backyard built for 'shoes. Summer evenings over there tossing, the adults all smoking & having cocktails or beer, the kids drinking little cokes or lemonade. I can still hear the "clank" of the shoes hitting the iron rod.

Have not played for many a moon.
Good memories. I too remember the "clank" of my Dad's shoes hitting the stake. Great sound!

I also remember a lot of laughter and good-natured "smack talk" that went along with every horseshoe game.