Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Gunsmithing
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2018, 10:45 AM   #1
rds1220
Banned

Default Have any of you used grease on firing pin spring

Had a question for you guys. Have any of you ever used grease on the firing pin (where the firing pin spring slides back and forth and on the firing pin spring itself) on bolt action rifles? I had gotten an Eddystone M1917 awhile back and I was having a hell of a time pushing the bolt home that last little bit. At first I though I just had to get used to the cock on close but after trying other peoples M1917 there just seemed to be something wrong with mine. I did a complete tear down of the bolt and there was old, waxy caked on grease all over the firing pin and firing pin spring. After soaking in kerosene for about a day and some hard scrubbing I got all the grease off and after replacing the grease with some oil the bolt throw home was pretty smooth as it should be for a cock on close gun. Afterwards though I got to thinking that while the lack of care caused problems with this rifle it seems grease could be a better choice on the firing pin spring. You hear over and over if it slides (which the bolt spring does) use grease if it moves use oil. If cared for properly and cleaned and re-greased every so often so it doesn't turn into a waxy mess it seems like it would be a better choice than oil. What do you guys think
rds1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 11:43 AM   #2
RetVet
Statistical Error

That waxy caked on grease was probably cosmoline. I use GI gun grease on most everything. Just a light coat. For long term storage though, nothing beats good old cosmoline.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:55 AM   #3
rds1220
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetVet View Post
That waxy caked on grease was probably cosmoline. I use GI gun grease on most everything. Just a light coat. For long term storage though, nothing beats good old cosmoline.
Thats what I was thinking. Being how old and waxy it was it looks like something done by the government for long term storage and at some point it was sold to a civilian and never wiped clean. From doing some reading every country seems to have their own version of cosmoline. The Russians had, what we typically think of when we think of cosmoline, a brown waxy gunk. It seems the US Army long term storage grease was a tannish white gunk and that is exactly what this looked like and it smelled like melted crayons.

As for the original question I'm tempted to pick a guinea pig rifle and try it to see how it works. The positives I see is smoother spring action. The main thing seems to be to find the correct grease to use. If its to thin it will just "melt" off leaving your springs with little protection. If you choose a really thick grease it could be to sticky and could cause the spring to release at a slower speed then normal or really stick to the point it doesn't release at all. The other thing is weather. It has to be able withstand heat so it doesn't melt away and cold so it doesn't get so thick and gunky it causes malfunctions.
rds1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 12:04 PM   #4
baboon
slug

I use TW25B grease
https://www.mil-comm.com/industrial/...c-light-grease
baboon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 12:15 PM   #5
aviator
unum de multis

no grease on firing pin, just thin oil.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:18 PM   #6
RetVet
Statistical Error

Quote:
Originally Posted by baboon View Post
That's what I use too. Good stuff. Super slick.
RetVet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 03:12 PM   #7
Boris

The bolt on my M1917 is as smooth as glass,open and closes with just. 1 finger.
How is that TW25b grease in cold weather?say below 20 degrees?

Patrick Henry
Boris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 12:20 AM   #8
dinkydow

A very light coat of oil is all that is necessary on M-16 firing pin. If any...It is chrome plated...you know...

"Let your plans be dark and as impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt."
"Violence of action means the unrestricted use of speed,strength, surprise and aggression to achieve total dominance against your enemy...any fighting technique is useless unless you totally commit to violence of action."

Burning huts in commy vills worldwide since 1968
dinkydow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 04:29 PM   #9
Legion489
Dud

Grease will freeze solid in cold weather. A guy brought in a rifle that in cold weather went "squiiiiiise" and refused to set off a primer. In warm weather it worked fine, but in cold weather it refused to work at all. Dropped it in a pail of carb cleaner and guess what? Worked great in hot AND cold weather! Who ever packed it full of grease must have used a high pressure grease gun to pack it! A LIGHT coating of grease would be OK for warm weather, but for cold weather just put in a few drops of oil.
Legion489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 04:44 PM   #10
hangfire
Home on the range

Nope
Old 06-15-2019, 07:36 PM   #11
JD Miller
Fake Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion489 View Post
Grease will freeze solid in cold weather.
at -60*
Old 06-15-2019, 07:45 PM   #12
aviator
unum de multis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion489 View Post
Grease will freeze solid in cold weather. A guy brought in a rifle that in cold weather went "squiiiiiise" and refused to set off a primer. In warm weather it worked fine, but in cold weather it refused to work at all. Dropped it in a pail of carb cleaner and guess what? Worked great in hot AND cold weather! Who ever packed it full of grease must have used a high pressure grease gun to pack it! A LIGHT coating of grease would be OK for warm weather, but for cold weather just put in a few drops of oil.
Not only that but mixing it with dust, blackpowder and other contaminants could give you a missfire.
aviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 08:48 AM   #13
Sanders

Remember in the 90's all the stories about "fully automatic" Chinese SKS rifles?

It was determined that the problem was grease (probably Cosmoline) in the firing pin channel was causing the firing pins to contact the primers as soon as the bolt went into battery. A good cleaning was the fix.

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 06:58 PM   #14
Legion489
Dud

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Miller View Post
at -60*
Which we had here this last winter. What's your point?
Legion489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 01:08 PM   #15
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanders View Post
Remember in the 90's all the stories about "fully automatic" Chinese SKS rifles?

It was determined that the problem was grease (probably Cosmoline) in the firing pin channel was causing the firing pins to contact the primers as soon as the bolt went into battery. A good cleaning was the fix.
I had one of those before I cleaned it.