Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Rifles
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2017, 09:51 AM   #1
4thIDvet
slug

Default Guns of the American Revolution: Setting the Record Straight with a note on accuracy.

"British General George Hanger, who served in America during the Revolution, later wrote, "A soldier's musket, if not exceedingly ill-bored (as many of them are), will strike the figure of a man at 80 yards; it may even at 100; but a soldier must be very unfortunate indeed who shall be wounded by a common musket at 150 yards, provided his antagonist aims at him; and as to firing at a man at 200 yards with a common musket, you may just as well fire at the moon and have the same hopes of hitting your object."

during the battle for Fort Ticonderoga in 1777. As the British advanced toward the American positions, an American officer ordered a sergeant to pick off a British skirmisher only 40 yards away. This touched off wholesale unauthorized firing and the enemy dropped back, leaving the original target on the ground. The "casualty" turned out to be a drunken Irishman from the 47th Regiment who was unhurt.[B] In addition to eight cannons, the Americans had fired about 3,000 rounds from 1,000 muskets at less than 100 yards. All they hit was a British lieutenant and two Indians, with one fatality among the Indians.

http://notorc.blogspot.com/2006/11/g...n-setting.html

Long read on the guns and tactics of the American Revolution. If yah get bored and have interest in the old 18th century weapons give it a go. If not ignore this post.
Other than the rifle used by the militia your chances of being hit on the battlefield were less than getting hit by lightning twice on a golf course.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:25 AM   #2
10 Bears
Ron North's Jewels Champion, Flash Poker Champion

And THAT is why the 'ball' was left out of the "Buck & Ball" loading.
The heavy buckshot .30? (more of it) was more effective in hitting 'something.'
10 Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 10:29 AM   #3
hangfire
Home on the range

Quote:
your chances of being hit on the battlefield were less than getting hit by lightning twice on a golf course.
I like them odds.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:30 AM   #4
4thIDvet
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Bears View Post
And THAT is why the 'ball' was left out of the "Buck & Ball" loading.
The heavy buckshot .30? (more of it) was more effective in hitting 'something.'
Interesting on that Bears.
My God I could not believe how innacurate things were back then. 3,000 rounds fired at the guy at Ft. Ticonderoga plus cannon fire and they missed. Holy sheet.
4thIDvet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 10:53 AM   #5
Sanders

It sure isn't like that anymore. I reckon that's why they could fight those wars drunk....hell, you had to be drunk to stand there and let someone shoot at you, anyway.

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 11:25 AM   #6
10 Bears
Ron North's Jewels Champion, Flash Poker Champion

Quote:
These, then, were the tools with which independence was forged. They served the fledgling country well and now stand mute in museums and gun collections--those, that is, that were not broken up for scrap or beaten into ploughshares. No matter whether you stand among the silent field guns of the Revolution in the artillery park at West Point or view an 18th-century musket or rifle behind the glass of a display case, do not think of them as the cold and silent exhibits of a museum. Know them instead as warm and vibrant products of man's ingenuity that enabled a nation to win its freedom. Across the years, they still speak a message to us today.
The final notation on the well presented article.
10 Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 01:07 PM   #7
slug

Were more men kill from the bayonets

than from musket fire?...
44044 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 01:19 AM   #8
4thIDvet
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44044 View Post
Were more men kill from the bayonets

than from musket fire?...
Disease took out most of them I think? But bayonets were used quite a bit from what I am reading about the Revolution.
Ken Burns documentary on the Civil War the historian, can't think of his name was asked about bayonets and their use during that period.
"How many troops died from the bayonet during the Civil war?"
"I think one."

ADD: Shelby Foote was his name. R.I.P. Mr. Foote. Damn I would have liked to have had a conversation with him. Incredible historian.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shelby_Foote
4thIDvet is online now   Reply With Quote