Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Outdoor Sports & Activities > Fishing, Boating, Canoeing, Kayaking
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register

Old 07-17-2009, 09:27 PM   #31
scheistermeister
Throbbing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo View Post
I've got most of the dirty hard work done - the ripping out. That is the part I've always hated about
remodeling a house or fixing a car.
That's the part I like the most!
Old 07-18-2009, 03:48 PM   #32
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Ready to add some wood.

Today I cut off all of the rivets and pulled the carpet off the walls. Dang that was hard scraping pieces of carpet off. I have it cleaned up enough now I believe to spray on that bed liner.

Now I've got to cut the plywood bottom and prepare it for installation.

Old 07-18-2009, 04:19 PM   #33
aviator
unum de multis

maybe you should spray some Zinc Chromate to prevent rust on the areas you scrapped.....never mind, it's not an airplane.
Old 07-18-2009, 05:47 PM   #34
5knives
KaBoom Kontrol Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Bears View Post
I don't mind a good canoe.
But really don't like the bigger "Holes in the Water" styles.
Me too, I'll extend that to John boats but that's about as 'maritime' as I'm interested in anymore. One minor Pacific storm on a Catamaran made a believer (coward) out of me.

Boats, to me are for going someplace in or fishing from, john boats let you go where the fish are and canoes are great for going somewheres.

No longer have it but my 18' Grumman shoe keel was the greatest canoe I ever owned (stay off the big lakes unless you REALLY know what you're doing, most people don't) and I had a 16 foot Old Town (real old, wood and canvas from the early thirties) that was a classic, but heavy on the portages. Sold it to an idiot co-worker who got tired of fooling with the canvass and fiberglassed her 'Bout what you'd expect from a former PT Boat swabby.

Any old John boat will do, great american invention, motor 'em, pole 'em or row 'em, a boat for all seasons! Stable enough to shoot from too!

... ummm, avoid high waves , 'high' being anything around 2 foot or more.

You do excellent work Pogo and I'm sure she'll be a class act when you finish ... but I do not envy you the task you have set yourself.

Not at all!

Regards,
5knives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 05:48 PM   #35
GARANDNUT
Pontificator Maximus

I wonder if it would be a good idea to replace the wood with aluminum and rhino line the whole inside of the boat.
GARANDNUT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 10:33 PM   #36
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator View Post
maybe you should spray some Zinc Chromate to prevent rust on the areas you scrapped.....never mind, it's not an airplane.
It's not going to rust. It's aluminum. That is where I'm going to have that truck bed liner sprayed anyway. That brown stuff is glue. It is almost impossible to remove. I could remove it with acetone but I think the rhino coat will cover it up fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GARANDNUT View Post
I wonder if it would be a good idea to replace the wood with aluminum and rhino line the whole inside of the boat.

I did think about using aluminum instead of wood. But I went ahead and already bought the marine plywood. I think if I prepare it right, it should last me as long as I need it. I think if I have a custom made cover for it, it should last for a real long time.

After taking it apart, and seeing how it is constructed, it is going to be a piece of cake putting it back together.
Pogo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 10:33 PM   #37
GARANDNUT
Pontificator Maximus

Quote:
It's not going to rust. It's aluminum. That is where I'm going to have that truck bed liner sprayed anyway.
There is a very light weight aluminum sandwich material that would be perfect for decking. I missed where you said "bed liner" but I see it now.
GARANDNUT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 10:34 PM   #38
aviator
unum de multis

Quote:
It's not going to rust. It's aluminum. That is where I'm going to have that truck bed liner sprayed anyway.
Aluminum is etched chemically to prevent corrosion, once you scrape it the etching comes off and corrosion can set in even under paint, it's a common problem with airplanes in humid climates so I assume it will be a problem in a boat.
aviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 10:48 PM   #39
10 Bears
Ron North's Jewels Champion, Flash Poker Champion

Question

Quote:
Aluminum is etched chemically to prevent corrosion, once you scrape it the etching comes off and corrosion can set in even under paint, it's a common problem with airplanes in humid climates so I assume it will be a problem in a boat.
Seems like it was a laquer type stuff, we sprayed/painted over the outside surface of aluminum.
You will definately be able to tell the scratch marks.
They turn white/powdery and that powder will rub right off.
THAT is the aluminum oxide. (aluminum "rust.")

Not trying to make anyone paranoid, or anything.
10 Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 10:51 PM   #40
scheistermeister
Throbbing Member

Quote:
Happens on older Porsches as well. Specifically the 924/944/928 series. Their bodies are made the same way and once they get scratched real bad of someone repaints one is when they start to rust.
scheistermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 10:53 PM   #41
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Quote:
I wonder if you can get that in spray bombs.

Edited:

I checked a boat forum, and saw a post where they was saying to use aluminum oxide primer. I wonder if that is good stuff?
Old 07-18-2009, 11:15 PM   #42
10 Bears
Ron North's Jewels Champion, Flash Poker Champion

Quote:
I wonder if you can get that in spray bombs.

Edited:

I checked a boat forum, and saw a post where they was saying to use aluminum oxide primer. I wonder if that is good stuff?
The aluminum primer is also known as "Paint Lock."
Mostly a grey paint/primer, then a good paint will stick to that primer.
You've probably noticed that regular paint has a tendency to peel off aluminum, without something under it.
Unless that paint has "Paint Lock" qualities.

*dang, aluminum boat, aluminum aircraft and aluminum siding. What a day!*
10 Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 11:36 PM   #43
aviator
unum de multis

If you can get some Alodyne you can etch it yourself, just apply and wash with water after 10 - 15 minutes. Here is a link for zinc chromate. http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...mateprimer.php

By the way, we had the whole airplane stripped, etched in Alodyne then primed and painted and a couple of years later already had a couple of corrosion spots.
aviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 03:47 PM   #44
DorGunR

Pogo are you gonna make it into a bass boat with two high-rise seats and a trolling motor?
DorGunR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 07:07 PM   #45
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorGunR View Post
Pogo are you gonna make it into a bass boat with two high-rise seats and a trolling motor?

I have a trolling motor that I mount on the front. That is what this aluminum plate is for. The mount
for the trolling motor locks in this plate. It is remote controlled from the drivers seat.

The front seat is elevated because the floor is elevated . I don't have my seats as high as most
guys do in a bass boat, although I could get a longer shaft that the seat sits on. I'm not into bass
fishing. They aren't very good to eat.