Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Outdoor Sports & Activities > Hunting
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2017, 05:35 AM   #16
Sanders

Opening day.

Hope to see something and bag something. But it's windy as hell outside. Been blowing all night.

Scouted a runty 8 point muley out near the woodcutting area near Tajique, but he will be my fall back deer. I'm not too keen on hunting where so many people are cutting wood right now, anyway.

Be back tonight.

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 08:58 AM   #17
Konstantin

Good luck. That wind is real nasty this morning. My hunt starts today too. I'm heading out now.
Konstantin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 09:30 AM   #18
Konstantin

Did you fill your tag Sanders?

I didn't get a deer. Was just too lazy to go out and hunt this year. Only went out twice, didn't see anything the first morning and only stayed out long enough to finish my coffee the second day I went out.
Old 10-30-2017, 11:08 AM   #19
Sanders

I went out and hunted Saturday and Sunday.

Saturday, I saw around 20 does and fawns, but nothing with antlers, but heard lots of people taking shots. For only 30 tags for that unit, I think all of them were hunting just that area.

I got out before sunrise on Sunday and walked down the trail I had been hunting off the previous day. It was still dark when I jumped a few, but the breeze was in my favor and they couldn't see me. As the sun started to rise I could see one standing broadside to me at only about 50 yards. I was next to a tree and able to rest the rifle on a fork, which gave me the perfect heart shot. Only problem was that I couldn't see any antlers, as the top of its head was obscured by some scrub oak. After what seemed like several minutes, just waiting for that bastard to show me his antlers (I'd only seen does the day before, so I didn't want to take the shot without knowing) he turned and went down the hill then started huffing at me. Never heard does do that, just bucks.

I followed him for a ways, but a couple minutes later I heard a shot from the road ahead. I think some jackass road hunter got him.

I didn't see another deer the rest of the day. There was so much pressure on them that they went to ground, I reckon. That's a lot more rugged country than it seems, once you get to walking around out there. Lots of places for them to disappear.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:48 AM   #20
Konstantin

Sounds like hunting in Corona. Around here most of the gunshots are people poaching on the land grant.
Old 04-18-2018, 02:40 PM   #21
Sanders

NM Draw Hunts are in for this year.

I put in for pronghorn antelope, cow elk (first choice rifle, second choice muzzleloader) and mule deer.

Didn't get the antelope or elk. Got second choice mule deer - any weapon, unit 38, which includes Corona, November 3-7. What the hell was I thinking? They put out 175 tags for that unit, and you can bet your paycheck that 90 percent of the folks will be hunting the Forest Service land near Corona. It'll be like friggin' WW3 out there!

Unit 38: http://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/wp-c...highres-38.pdf
Old 04-17-2019, 11:40 AM   #22
Sanders

Well, I got an e-mail from Game and Fish this morning - actually 2 e-mails.

One said I got a rifle hunt mule deer tag in Unit 23. It was my 4th choice which was just a region of the state (SW). I don't care much for unit 23 - I like 24 a whole lot better. Fortunately, I have family down there who can do a little scouting for me if they get bored.

The other e-mail says I got a NM resident only rifle cow elk hunt in unit 16A. The elk in that unit are so thick you have dodge them on the roads.

The deer hunt is mid-November and the elk hunt is mid-December. Neither are particularly good times as they've already been chased to hell and back, but you takes what you can gets.

I was unsuccessful once again in drawing a White Sands Missile Range Oryx tag.

Edit: My uncle's place is in Unit 23 and he's been having problems with deer coming into his yard and eating on his fruit trees. Guess I better give him a call.
Old 04-22-2020, 12:23 PM   #23
Sanders

NM Big Game draw was last night. I only put in for elk and deer.

Unsuccessful with the elk, but got drawn for rifle deer in Unit 43, which is South of Pecos. There is a big patch of public land south of Pecos, with a lot of forest and wide open spaces. I'm thinking 7mm Rem Mag. Unless I hunt the forested area - then the 30-30. They only put out 35 tags for the rifle hunt - Oct. 31 to Nov. 4.