Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Rifles
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2019, 04:42 PM   #31
baboon
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500grains View Post
I thought the ATF got a hard-on for those crank attachments.
Bass Pro & Cabella's are their biggest customers. Not a problem until it's hooked up to a drill motor.
Never saw the bolt action garand. I am aware that at one time a guy was converting 1903s to accept a 20 round BAR magazine. I think that would be a nice setup.Myself as well

Another guy was chopping 1903 actions and making them into a bolt action .45 acp. I guess it would be ok for rabbit hunting.
Suppressed like a De Lisle Commando carbine.
That bolt action Garand was stupid.
baboon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 11:24 PM   #32
thefundamentalist

Well, I think I might just do a .308. About the easiest Garand conversion, and .308 should get the job done. Lots of mil surp ammo out there, too.
thefundamentalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 04:35 PM   #33
Enforcer

An interesting rifle is the BM-59 as rebuilt by James River Armory. Mags are more expensive than an M1A but it does have a cool factor.
Enforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 12:17 AM   #34
Doc

I don't understand those that find the 06 with too much recoil.

'06 is my favorite caliber. I didn't buy a real rifle until I was in high school. Sears sold 98 Mausers for $29.00 so I bought one. Fred Barnes sold me bullets, cases, loading tools and powder. I then used that rifle in 8mm to kill all the big stuff in Wyoming. I then ended up buying, selling and trading most everything that shoots.

Early on my best were several 03-A3s. All of my 03s would shoot 1 MOA over a blanket at 100 yards. 2 groove - 4 groove it didn't matter.

Then I discovered M1 Garands. They're not quite as accurate as the 03-A3s, but almost. I have always shot a modified, slightly, National Match load in my '06s. I use 4895 powder, I used to buy it in 50 # kegs for $50.00.

Up until a few years ago I shot both my 03-A3s and MIs in competition at both 600 and 1,000 yards. I shoot the 165 grain SP at 2,650 fps. It also serves for elk, deer, and antelope.

For elk across three or four ridges I prefer my pre-64 Winchester, .375 H&H mag and the 270 grain SP at 2,700 fps and receiver sights.

Leave the M1 Garand as is. There are plenty of junkers out there to butcher.

Doc
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 12:27 PM   #35
dinkydow

When you customize or civilianize an m1 garand... the value drops into the toilet.

"Let your plans be dark and as impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt."
"Violence of action means the unrestricted use of speed,strength, surprise and aggression to achieve total dominance against your enemy...any fighting technique is useless unless you totally commit to violence of action."

Burning huts in commy vills worldwide since 1968
dinkydow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 06:30 PM   #36
Czubek
slug
Cat Bowling Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo View Post
I wouldn't change it. The 30-06is a great cartridge
^^This^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinkydow View Post
When you customize or civilianize an m1 garand... the value drops into the toilet.
^^And This^^

Brian

Here at the Dirty Dozen's Bunker, we have no problems, only solutions.
Czubek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:14 PM   #37
dinkydow

My three digit serial number, M1 Garand in .308... can be "restored to arsenal rebuild" condition simply by installing a 30-06 barrel. And re-installing all the NM parts back on it. Finding the parts to restore it as a gas trap rifle would be cost prohibitive.

I still have TONS of early M1 parts. I may begin listing some of my "uncut" op rods on gun broker.
Old 04-07-2019, 05:49 PM   #38
thefundamentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinkydow View Post
My three digit serial number, M1 Garand in .308... can be "restored to arsenal rebuild" condition simply by installing a 30-06 barrel. And re-installing all the NM parts back on it. Finding the parts to restore it as a gas trap rifle would be cost prohibitive.

I still have TONS of early M1 parts. I may begin listing some of my "uncut" op rods on gun broker.
That sounds nice, dink!
thefundamentalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 07:44 PM   #39
dinkydow

Over the decades I must have built several hundred M1 Garands up from bare receivers and boxes of parts. I used to have good contacts with several importers and had the privilege of cherry picking their stashes of parts... Ever see metal 55 gallon drums filled completely to the top with M1 Garand bolts, etc., and diesel fuel? And other drums filled with other M1 Garand components? Must have built 200 M1 Carbines from the same sources of parts. Wish I had kept the Rock-Olas. Them were the good old days..........
Old 04-16-2019, 10:15 AM   #40
remus

I have two garands in 30-06, they are just standard rifles. I have a match grade garand in .308 that shoots extremely well. If I was just going to get a garand I would get one in the 30-06. That's the way it's really supposed to be.
remus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 04:18 AM   #41
silvermane_1
Proud Ulster-Scot Celt

Well i know there are 45 Winchester Magnum M1 Carbines, i know not the Garand but close enough FWIW.
silvermane_1 is offline   Reply With Quote