Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Handguns
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register

Old 05-24-2023, 07:40 PM   #16
MGMAN45

I use 124 or 147 gr hydra shok in my sig p226 and beretta 92fs and also my glock17.In my UZI smg I use IMI 124 gr Nato.
MGMAN45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 10:35 PM   #17
Johnny

I have two 9mm pistols (Beretta M9 and Ruger P89). They're both loaded up with cheap-ass FMJ ammo. I'm far from a ballistics expert, but FMJ is a potent round; perhaps not as good as an expensive hollow-point, but potent just the same.

Years back, I heard that FMJ is less prone to jamming and has better penetration. I liked those qualities and stuck with them. Besides: that's all I ever carried in the US Army.

Again... I'm a virtual "babe in the woods" when it comes to my knowledge of ballistics. FMJ is my choice. I figure shot placement is king.
Johnny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 07:37 PM   #18
GimpyPaw

My house we stock the 115 gr Hornady Critical Defense, and then keep a few ammo cans of 115 gr ball for range time. I selected 115 gr because my wife shoots it well, and she has wrist problems, so need to keep the recoil down. One of her pistols is a Sig 365, so heavier rounds would have been an issue for her.

I wanted all of our 9mm guns to use the same ammo, so that I don't have to bother with which gun gets which ammo. Every gun is zero'd for the same round. We tried a few different types of ammo, and the Hornaday Crit Def seemed to function well in all 6 of the guns we tried.

Hers = Berretta 92FS, Sig 365
Mine = G17, CZ Scorpion (suppressed)
Son's = G17, S&W Shield
GimpyPaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 08:22 AM   #19
500grains
Soldier of Allah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanders View Post
I'm not entirely convinced on what people call +P loads.
+P refers to the pressure to which the ammo is loaded. If the box does not say +P, then it is regular pressure ammo.
Old 06-14-2023, 08:24 AM   #20
500grains
Soldier of Allah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl/PA View Post
Finally, what is the purpose of the 142 gr. load? Is it the poor man's plus P?
No, it is simply a heavier bullet at a lower velocity. If you are using a suppressoor, then you will have to use a subsonic load to keep the noise down. I am not sure what 142 gr ammo you are looking at, but it might be a subsonic load for suppressor use.

Generally subsonic ammo will not provide reliable expansion. If you want expansion, then 115 gr. ammo would be a better bet.
500grains is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 02:01 PM   #21
Sanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500grains View Post
+P refers to the pressure to which the ammo is loaded. If the box does not say +P, then it is regular pressure ammo.
There doesn't seem to be any consistency as to what +P actually is, even with same manufacturers. This is based on tests different folks have done recording velocity and penetration using same bullet weights and profiles.

One manufacturer's standard loading will have more velocity than another's +P loading with the same bullet weight and profile.

It's not something I've been interested enough in to look up if there's a SAAMI spec for what +P is supposed to be vs. standard ammo.

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 11:35 AM   #22
500grains
Soldier of Allah

Do you want your bullets to expand from a handgun?

If so, better go with 115 g JHP (or lighter) from a premium manufacturer. The velocity loss with heavier bullets reduces the chance of expansion. I see no advantage of a 124 gr or 147 gr hollow point over 115 gr. In fact, I would consider them to be a disadvantage due to expansion issues.

There are some 135 gr police loads designed to defeat windshields and car doors. Those loads also risk overpenetration, which can get you in trouble even in a legitimate self defense situation.

It is hard to buy +P or +P+ ammo. The manufacturers often only offer it to police and military.

So for self defense I would get 115 gr. (or lighter) JHP from a premium manufacturer.

By the way, I have tested 147 JHP on a deer carcass and they did not expand.
500grains is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 01:47 PM   #23
Sanders

Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote