Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Rifles
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register

Old 05-30-2018, 05:59 PM   #1
4thIDvet
slug

Default The Hotchkiss Model Of 1914 Heavy Machine Gun

The most commonly issued machine gun to the American Expeditionary Force (AEF) was the gas-operated French Model of 1914 Hotchkiss in 8x50 mm R Lebel. The height of the “Omnibus” tripod (above) was one of the Doughboys’ few complaints. The other was weight—111 lbs.

A century ago, American troops faced Germans in the trenches and fields of France. The United States had entered the war a year before, in April 1917, as a fresh-faced member of the Allied cause—full of energy but lacking many of the essential tools of war. Later in 1917, elements of the American Expeditionary Force (AEF) arrived in France, but they did so without machine guns.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...y-machine-gun/
Old 05-30-2018, 07:02 PM   #2
MrKalashnikov
Deplorable

It was heavy but reliable, unlike many other firearms the froggies fielded during the Great War.

The Japs basically copied the French design of the Hotchkiss for their Nambu series of MGs deployed during WWII, with great success.
MrKalashnikov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 07:07 PM   #3
baboon
slug

Never seen one that wasn't behind glass! I guess the guys that own them are up there in age & seldom shoot them. Parts might be a huge bitch.
baboon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 07:19 PM   #4
Sanders

It doesn't look that heavy - unless that's the weight with the tripod attached?

Just a little sidetrack - I dreamed last night that I had to reassemble a Ma Deuce and couldn't find the recoil spring anywhere! I still remembered how to do it, though.

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 12:35 PM   #5
cerberus
Dud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanders View Post
Just a little sidetrack - I dreamed last night that I had to reassemble a Ma Deuce and couldn't find the recoil spring anywhere! I still remembered how to do it, though.
I had a dream two nights ago about a raven-haired X-Ray Technician.
Trust me, my dream beats yours, and I still know how to do it.
cerberus
cerberus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 01:58 PM   #6
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

I've always wanted a Chauchat light machine gun. I know that they are considered by many to be the worst machine gun ever. But I'd like one for my collection.

Most of the working ones I've seen sold for $5,000 to $7,000. No way am I paying that for one.

I remember when I was young and didn't have much money they were selling in Shotgun News for $50.00. Oh, to have the foresight back then.
Old 06-02-2018, 02:08 PM   #7
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanders View Post
It doesn't look that heavy - unless that's the weight with the tripod attached?
Machine gun - 53 lbs. Tripod mount - 58 lbs.

Fabricate a lighter tripod and it wouldn't be all that bad.
Pogo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 02:38 PM   #8
baboon
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo View Post
I've always wanted a Chauchat light machine gun. I know that they are considered by many to be the worst machine gun ever. But I'd like one for my collection.

Most of the working ones I've seen sold for $5,000 to $7,000. No way am I paying that for one.

I remember when I was young and didn't have much money they were selling in Shotgun News for $50.00. Oh, to have the foresight back then.
Ever look for a dewat? It should drop the price down a few grand.
Old 06-02-2018, 03:04 PM   #9
4thIDvet
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by baboon View Post
Ever look for a dewat? It should drop the price down a few grand.
Full auto 50 cal Ma Deuce waiting for you at Ocala Armory gun shop I think it is boon? This if it is not sold? $50,000 chump change for you. LOL.
Never ever shot one but been shot at with one and it was not fun.
Holy sheeeet like trees were coming apart. I told my two buddies with me prepare to die.
4thIDvet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 03:16 PM   #10
baboon
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thIDvet View Post
Full auto 50 cal Ma Deuce waiting for you at Ocala Armory gun shop I think it is boon? This if it is not sold? $50,000 chump change for you. LOL.
Never ever shot one but been shot at with one and it was not fun.
Holy sheeeet like trees were coming apart. I told my two buddies with me prepare to die.
I don't want a crew served weapon! My buddy with his M60 has to drags so much more shit then I do.

We were talking about Ma Deuces on the way home from a shoot. Lots of shit to contend with with a Ma Duce. Head spacing the barrels, mounts, feeding it then the fact they can shoot so fucking far. Hell my gun club won't let me shoot my Mc Bros .50 bmg rifle for liability reasons. Same thing with a Barrett finding a place to shoot them around here is a chore.
Old 06-02-2018, 03:58 PM   #11
Eightball
Proud WECSOG graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by baboon View Post
Hell my gun club won't let me shoot my Mc Bros .50 bmg rifle for liability reasons. Same thing with a Barrett finding a place to shoot them around here is a chore.
A few years ago a .50 BMG bullet went through the roof of a camper at a NASCAR race at Texas Motor Speedway and hit a woman in the arm. It came from a guy doing some target shooting 5 miles away. I can understand why some ranges might not want the liability.
Old 06-02-2018, 05:22 PM   #12
baboon
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eightball View Post
A few years ago a .50 BMG bullet went through the roof of a camper at a NASCAR race at Texas Motor Speedway and hit a woman in the arm. It came from a guy doing some target shooting 5 miles away. I can understand why some ranges might not want the liability.
Oh I get totally understand the capabilities of the .50 bmg. Old ma deuce is not without her problems. And as fatal as she is @ distances, she can be even a bigger bitch is she were to a have a catastrophic failure to the operator.
Old 06-03-2018, 09:30 PM   #13
THE DUDE

had a chance to get a 1914 and a chauchat about the same time 7 years ago .

Would have been nice BUT .. Dinosaurs on life support.

I hate lugging a ton of shit to the range anymore. 2-3 guns max.

Typically. a pistol or two and my bar or other rifle. The days of taking a gun, belts, tripod, cans, tools and all other associated are over for me.