Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > C&R Forum
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

C&R Forum Curio and Relic discussion area

Old 03-11-2012, 10:11 PM   #16
Boris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaddius Bickerton View Post
6.5 x 55 Swedish with the Mauser is supposed to be one of the best round / rifles of the Mauser type.

If was me I'd hang onto it or make sure it found a loving home.

I hear some tales of very accurate round for what it is worth.

Then of course I meet some silly head that tells me that there never was a Mauser chambered for 6 x 55 rofl.

I prefer o3's and 1917's and smle and M/ N then 98 mausers. In that order but that is one of the few I'd probably keep.

Actually after I learned to love the 1917 enfield pattern in 30 06 I found a 95 Mauser known as a Pleasure Mauser (civilian hunting rifle based on the military one) that a fellow from South Africa, who now lives in Amerika USSA. had and bought it. Has octagonal barrel and in 7mm mauser (.276 Rigby). I really enjoy shooting it. Both cock on closing the bolt, and the 95 lacks the third safety lug of the 98, but I have no worries shooting it.
the very first high power rifle I fired was a swedish mauser,the action on that rifle is smoother and tighter than on some rifles twice the price,I think the one I shot was a 96 but not sure,it's my dads and I haven't seen it in a while but I have an M1917 that I used for a deer rifle for about 9 years,that rifle feels just as good to me if not better than the .270 winchester I bought to replace it,I think this year I will have the M1917 scoped because I still want to use it,I love the old warhorses

Patrick Henry
Boris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:20 PM   #17
Fj3fury
Non hyphenated American

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5knives View Post
6.5x55 is one of the GREAT cartridges of all time.

Performance on game is way better than what you might think from just reading the ballistics tables.

NJMHO, the view is shared by many!

Regards, ...

Yup I've used it in military rifle matches. It shoots accurate, easy to reload for, and 100 rounds is easy on the shoulder.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:46 PM   #18
DirtySteve
Starship Legend Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5knives View Post
just a note if you haven't fired it yet.

If it's in orignal military configuration, it will shoot 12 inches high at 100 yards, dead on at 300. Yup that's the lowest setting you can go with the iron sights.

Says something about it's long range capability doesn't it?

6.5x55 is one of the GREAT cartridges of all time.

Performance on game is way better than what you might think from just reading the ballistics tables.

NJMHO, the view is shared by many!

Regards, ...
A pleasure in every regard with that cartridge.
DirtySteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:14 PM   #19
Brightblade
Paladin

Well if you do decide to sell may I be the first on the list, as long as it's reasonable?
Brightblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:26 AM   #20
2rogers

still havnt shot it yet, havnt had a day off since christmas. i'm going to ins adjuster school next week and shutting down my shop next month, i should have a bit of time to warm up and put some mods on the other toys. should i decide to sell it, we will have a bunker only sale as others here like them too and i take loyalty rather seriously. maybe a fair figure gets worked out and a lottery at that point.
2rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:21 PM   #21
Thaddius Bickerton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
the very first high power rifle I fired was a swedish mauser,the action on that rifle is smoother and tighter than on some rifles twice the price,I think the one I shot was a 96 but not sure,it's my dads and I haven't seen it in a while but I have an M1917 that I used for a deer rifle for about 9 years,that rifle feels just as good to me if not better than the .270 winchester I bought to replace it,I think this year I will have the M1917 scoped because I still want to use it,I love the old warhorses
I love 03's probably always will, but the 1917's seem to fit me better and I have hunted much more with them than the 03's. the 03's get more time punching holes in paper thou.

I'll never sell those weapons. hopefully my kids and grandkids will get to see what a real rifle is supposed to look like and be able to do.

Also hopefully we won't have to resort to using them for their intended purposes again. Then again way the world is going I'd a lot rather it be me than my babies have to settle the coming problems.
Thaddius Bickerton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:45 PM   #22
JD Miller
Fake Member

I use to buy up those mil swede mausers. Had several short riflrs, m96 longs and a m94 carbine. Sold most, still have I think at least 4 and a custom stalking rifle. Then bought a bunch of husqvarna sporting rifles in various calibers on FN98 actions. I Like the 6.5x55 even have a model70 chambered 6.5 swede. Those swedes made some nice shootin rifles

m146 9.3x57
Old 03-20-2012, 10:56 AM   #23
OSOK

I love the 6.5x55. My advice is to go shoot it and then make a decision. They are just so damned nice. If the ammo is corrosively primed, don't forget to run some warm water down the bore and dry before cleaning normally - and I recommend Hoppes for all milsurp guns.

That rifle will only go up in value. It really is a good investment. No more are being imported and they are very collectible.

I have a 96/38 - a short rifle that was made from the 1896 model - has a straight bolt. Love it. I had a 96 as you describe and like a dumnshit, sold it when I needed the money... Here's the m96/38:

I also have a 1894 that I found in the local shop all chopped up and half arse sportered - I made it a project gun, fixing everything that was messed up - which was just about everything... here's a pic of it now:

I also have a Winchester M70 Classic Featherweight in 6.5x55 from the 90's but no pic of that.

The 6.5x55 is one of those calibers that is just right - just right for target shooting, just right for a battle rifle caliber and just right for a big game cartridge. Kills way beyond it's kinetic energy level.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:16 AM   #24
Fj3fury
Non hyphenated American

Nice rifles there JD and Osok.
Fj3fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:30 AM   #25
OSOK

Thanks - I'd love to get my mitts on a nice Swede sporter like JD's got there - very nice with the snabel end stock and sporter sights. Just drips with coolness. Classic stalking gun. The caliber is a common conversion too - I've seen a bunch of these in rough condition at the local Cabelas... that one is nice.
OSOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:22 AM   #26
Havoc308
Cat Batting Champion

I have a m96. Damn thing is so beautiful I dare not shoot it.
Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think, and act for myself--and then I will obey every law or submit to the penalty." - Chief Joseph
Alle Kunst ist umsunst Wenn ein Engel auf das Zundloch brunzet (All skill is in vain if an angel pisses down the touch-hole of your musket.)
quod futue te ipsum est quid
Havoc308 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:04 PM   #27
Gewehrnut
Beer Snob

I have a 96 Husqvarna. Still need to finish its restoration. Mine has the flash hider on it. Beautful rifle.

"It is inexcusable that 4 million NRA members bear the weight for 80 million gun owners and 20 million hunters." - John C. Sigler

Working on a classic Trans Am gives you license to tell your wife, "Shut your pie hole, I'm going to work on the Bandit!"
Gewehrnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:25 PM   #28
DirtySteve
Starship Legend Champion

Bought my two Swedes over 10yrs ago and never looked back.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:40 PM   #29
2rogers

although this is a rather old thread. still have it, haven't shot it yet.
2rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:10 AM   #30
DirtySteve
Starship Legend Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2rogers View Post
although this is a rather old thread. still have it, haven't shot it yet.
You owe it to yourself!