Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Outdoor Sports & Activities > Camping, Backpacking, Outdoor Survival Skills
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2012, 08:47 AM   #1
RetVet
Statistical Error

Nuke EMP vehicle

Okay, my wife has a bug up her about getting a vehicle that can survive an EMP event. She's serious as a heart attack about doing this. So...............

What's the no shit answer? Everything I've read so far points towards a pre 1970 vehicle with points/condenser type ignition. These parts (spares) could be stored and replaced with minimal effort.

We looked at a 53 International truck over the weekend. It has potential, but repair parts to make it seriously road worthy may out way the cheap initial cost.

Ideas?
Old 01-30-2012, 08:51 AM   #2
flopshot
Constitutional bigot

it's my understanding a metal box will protect electronic components so going with an HEI type ignition you could keep spare parts in a tool box. the HEI is a much more dependable ignition.
flopshot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:03 AM   #3
Hunter07
I'm a grumpy SOB

Ya might try to find something a bit newer.......say 64-72 Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4. Easy enough to work on, repair parts are a lot easier to find and the transfer cases on those with part time 4 wheel drive & lockout hubs are gear driven, not chain driven like newer vehicles.

The box flopshot was talking about is called a 'Faraday cage'.
Hunter07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:03 AM   #4
Czubek
slug
Cat Bowling Champion

Anything with points and basic carburetor. Early GM HEI was easy to work on, as it takes no time at all to change the module and coil.

I know it's not what you're wanting and not really practical, but the pre electronic diesels needed absolutely no electric power to run, once they were started. On more than one occasion, I have had the "misfortune" to have to drive a truck to the yard with no electric power at all. Cummins, screw in the fuel solenoid valve override, Macks and Detroits used a mechanical fuel shutoff you operated with a knob on the floor. Just threw that out for the heck of it.

Brian

Here at the Dirty Dozen's Bunker, we have no problems, only solutions.
Czubek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:04 AM   #5
hangfire
Home on the range

An emp event will take out coils and condensers, and probably the points. Many older vehicles also have an ignition "ballast " that would probably be toast too unless you kept them in a Faraday cage capable of absorbing the emp event.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:01 AM   #6
RetVet
Statistical Error

Quote:
The box flopshot was talking about is called a 'Faraday cage'.
Yep. I work inside one.... seriously. Comes with the job.
RetVet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:22 AM   #7
Hunter07
I'm a grumpy SOB

Have you considered something like an old M37, M35A2 or CUCV (mid 80's Chevy pickups & Blazers)? These can be found in halfway decent shape for reasonable money. Surplus motors and drive train parts (rebuilt or used), for the CUCV's are fairly easy to find too.

I looked at an old Deuce n half with a shop body on the rear last fall. I thought that it'd make the perfect mobile deer camp vehicle with some interior modifications inside. The guy wanted more $$$ than I was willing to part with.
Hunter07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:29 AM   #8
aviator
unum de multis

wrap your car in aluminum foil.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:51 AM   #9
RetVet
Statistical Error

This "transportation device" would serve a real world purpose as well. I need a farm truck to move hay, so it's not like this thing would sit around with the tin foil hat supplies. This would be killing two birds with one stone.
RetVet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:53 AM   #10
5knives
KaBoom Kontrol Modulator

A metal box by itself is no protection from EMP, it doesn't become a Faraday cage until it's solidly grounded.

Even that isn't necessarily adequate, power levels , wave length and frequency can all be factors.

It took a triple layer of coper screening, each layer seperately grounded and insulated from each other to keep the guard channel signal from a PRC-17 radio confined.

Had to be screen as the techs working inside were in the habit of breathing regularly.

I believe the EMP resistant vehicles are all pre 1970 and many pre-1974.

Vehicle is only part of it of course.

Don't forget that a powerful EMP event (a 50 mega tonner at altitude over central kansas for example), would take out every electronic and most electric devices you own. A massive coronal discharge from the sun, as happened around 1890-1900 would do the same. That one fried all the telegraph lines in the U.S.

Watches, cell phones, computers, radios, night vision, calculators, computers, radios, microwave ovens, gasoline pumps at your filling station, water pumps if you have a a water tower in your town and or electric pump on your well especially but not limited to Digital everything.

Storing emergency communications equipment in a well sheilded location sounds good until you consider that 99% of the transmitters in the country will be fried.

Serious threat and our whole tech culture is at risk.

Some military and commercial sites and archived data is secure, most are not.

Instant late 1800's civiization.

Regards,
5knives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:20 PM   #11
hangfire
Home on the range

Think I'll just get a few horses.
hangfire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:26 PM   #12
aviator
unum de multis

Well, time to get back to tubes.

I honestly believe an EMP will do most damage to solid state devices, which normally have a low forward threshold voltage, transistors, integrated circuits (chips) those will fry if connected, if it's not connected, nothing will happen, there is no closed circuit and therefore nothing happens. An EMP is designed to paralyze the infrastructure temporarily, not permanently. Just remember this, as long as you have an open circuit current will not flow so I don't care how powerful the attack is a lot of things will survive. A coil and points ignition system will survive as long as the coil is disconnected. Most of the damage will come in the way of a power surge in the electrical lines going into your home, those wires extend for hundreds of miles and will work as a fantastic inductor, just a surge of a few thousand volts for a fraction of a second is enough to fry anything you have connected to the line, not connected?...nothing will happen unless you are right at ground zero.
aviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:33 PM   #13
Gus

I would stick with a Chevrolet 350 CI, you can purchase a point distributor and easily make it computer free.

You'll not find a vehicle with more parts available then a Chevrolet an unlike other manufactures Chevrolet engine and drive train parts are interchangeable over decades.

Anything you buy that's not common place will be a bitch to maintain.

Just look at Cuba, you'll never see more vintage Chevrolet's still running around then in communist Cuba.

JMHO
Gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:50 PM   #14
10 Bears
Ron North's Jewels Champion, Flash Poker Champion

Damned EMP surge has been a phukin nightmare since we fried the Southern part of the Hawaiian Islands with the Bikini detonations.

I've often wondered if there was an H-Bomb allready in orbit over Kansas or Nebraska.

1800 Tech would allmost be a blessing if I were more capable of taking care of things.
Or even two, or more, orbiting pieces of shit waiting to destroy all the tech we have come to depend upon.

It has allways been my understanding that any aircraft (especially commercial) would simply be rendered usless, while airborne.
10 Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:13 PM   #15
Exitwound
Red Blooded American

You can get deuce and a halfs for less than $4,000. Parts for them are extremely cheap too.