Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Outdoor Sports & Activities > Camping, Backpacking, Outdoor Survival Skills
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register

Old 12-03-2013, 09:25 AM   #16
5knives
KaBoom Kontrol Modulator

Always keep/kept a few candles in my vehicle in the wintertime, those mexican candles in glass with religious scenes work well, but so do regular Pink ladies.

Why?

Beacuse even in sub zero weather, one candle on a car or pickup passenger compartment will keep you from freezing, not comfy, not toasty, just not freezing to death (barely).

Living in the upper midwest, car also held a couple of the heavy duty space blankets, a couple of camping blankets and a box of high calorie snacks, those pretzel things with the psuedo cheese stuffing (combos) are a good choice.

Clearing the roads after the New Years eve blizzard of '79, in northern IL, they dug one semi and driver out of a drift after IIRC 4 days of being buried in a drift. No one knew he ( or the semi ) were there until a plow hit his trailer.

He was in great shape thanks to a sleeper full of potato chips, soda, Snickers and some emergency candles.

That storm killed 15-20 people and there were drifts higher than telephone poles and wires, wind chill was -70. actual temps were -20 IIRC

Early on the dumbasses were hitting the road with too little gas, kids and nothing fit for that kind of weather, had to threaten to arrest a couple of stuck 'Mom' with little kids to get them to leave their stuck vehicles.

Problem was that by early on you could get on the freeway North of the State line ... but you couldn't get off again in IL. Every exit was 3-4 foot deep in snow, and the winds were blowing empty semi's and some loaded ones off the road. Some Cities were closed for 4-5 days, no place to put the snow.

"Be Prepared" ain't just a motto for Boy Scouts!

Regards,
5knives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:17 AM   #17
4thIDvet
slug

Good info 5knives... Yes be prepared, yah never know.. Damn my boat would not run when the guys were here. But when I go out I bring supplies like I was going for 2 or 3 days..
Clothes, water, food, lights. Get broke down in the backwaters, your on your own..
Wyoming, years back. They put gates across the roads when a storm was coming.. You got trapped on one of those winter storms, you were going nowhere for awhile..
Food, water, shelter, simple heating device as explained.. Hell you could last till spring.. Stay in your vehicle..
Old 12-03-2013, 01:54 PM   #18
AyKay

I am going to make one.
AyKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:19 PM   #19
thefundamentalist

Gotta try one of these.
But that brass pre-made one Sanders linked to looks like the one to get.
thefundamentalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:41 PM   #20
Sanders

I made one for all my kids and my nephew.

I bought nothing to make them with, and used old aftershave bottles for them to carry alcohol in.

I sat down one evening and made 4 - and only screwed up one so bad I had to trash it. That was on the second one.

I tested each stove, and they worked great. If you forget the little pinhole, they boil over and you get burning alcohol all over the place. Good thing I put them in a baking pan to test them.

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:10 PM   #21
DirtySteve
Starship Legend Champion

Tested mine on a spare ceramic tile.
DirtySteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:16 PM   #22
ColonelKorn
High Priest of Honkydom

I've been making these by the dozens and giving them to friends, family, total strangers, etc.
ColonelKorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:03 PM   #23
thefundamentalist

Well, I tried making one of these things, and, after about a dozen or so cans, all I have is junk. cans keep splitting, crushing, and bending on me. Maybe I'm using cheap Chinese-made tissue paper cans?
Old 03-11-2014, 11:18 PM   #24
10 Bears
Ron North's Jewels Champion, Flash Poker Champion

Sharp scissors, never cut all the way to the tip of the scissors.
Cut in the direction that doesn't 'bend', or roll, the edge of the material.
The 'Fall' material is the only stuff you allow to be damaged.

Just a viewpoint of when I used to work with thin aluminum material.

I don't remember the gauge of aluminum can material, bt it IS very thin.

I used to have to work with 0.10, and 0.19, siding material for RV trailers.
Hated that stuff beause it was so prone to damage.

Keep playing with those cans and watch what happens, to what side, when you cut.

Hope something there helps a bit.
10 Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:33 AM   #25
Sanders

What Bears said - use scissors.

I drew a line around where I wanted to cut with a Sharpie, then started the cut above it with scissors and angled down onto the line.

Then, when you are making the grooves, don't use a knife that is too sharp.
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 07:36 AM   #26
DirtySteve
Starship Legend Champion

Just made an additional one out of a 7.5oz DR. Pepper can....still throws out plenty of BTUs with 91% isopropyl alcohol.
DirtySteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 01:12 AM   #27
thefundamentalist

Some partiers threw some 25 oz cans behind my house. So I grabbed two and will try this again.