Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Gunsmithing
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2017, 06:53 AM   #1
4thIDvet
slug

Default Update on AR taper pins sight removal made real simple.

Expansion and contraction can make these AR front sight taper pins difficult to remove as simple as in sounds. My neighbor Lee showed me a fool proof way for removal that takes less than 30 seconds. Not just for AR sight pins but any stubborn taper pin.

1- Place the barrel on a soft surface "not" any hard surfaces. Lee removed the pins right in my kitchen by placing the barrel across his lap on his legs. When tapping the pin this shocks just the pin and not the barrel of the weapon.
2- Now use a medium hammer and slightly oversize punch if the pin is slightly protruding? Just a couple of good taps to shock the pin. Proper size pin if not protruding.
3- Next a small metal hammer like the thin one the leather workers use for further tapping, not a large hammer. Why I don't know but it is what he wanted and it worked. My guess is for some reason it shocks the pin better?
4- Next some easy taps with the proper size punch and that small hammer and that pin flies out. Less than 30 seconds for removal both pins.

Key here is placing the barrel on something soft a rolled up towel, blanket, etc. "not a hard surface." I put the damn barrel on a hard surface and beat the damn thing for 10 minutes with no movement. Nada.
If anyone is on the Smith & Wesson forum please pass this on to the member their having problems with the pin removal. Poor guy was ready to use a nuclear bomb.
Members their gave suggestions to no avail. Think he finally took it to a gunsmith?
Yes this works hope it helps with all your stuck taper pin removals.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:55 AM   #2
Sanders

I had a stubborn Romanian "G" kit barrel pin that I had to take to a machine shop to have taken out. They burned through 3 drill bits to remove it. I don't know what it was made out of, but it wasn't coming out for nothing.

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 10:45 AM   #3
4thIDvet
slug

Yup oh yeah I have had that on those Rommies that do not want to come out. These pins expand contract get moisture and literally in some cases weld themselves in over time.
I am not a member of the S&W forum but the poor guy their was taking his pin removal to his cousin in the nuke plant to blow the damn thing up for removal.
4thIDvet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 11:43 AM   #4
Konstantin

When pins get stuck on me I soak with penetrating oil then press with a hydraulic press. If the press won't budge them, I put a lot of pressure on the pin with the press and hit the top frame of the press a couple of times with a hammer. The shock and vibration have knocked the pins loose every time I've done it. Always on Romanian barrels.
Konstantin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 12:08 PM   #5
4thIDvet
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konstantin View Post
When pins get stuck on me I soak with penetrating oil then press with a hydraulic press. If the press won't budge them, I put a lot of pressure on the pin with the press and hit the top frame of the press a couple of times with a hammer. The shock and vibration have knocked the pins loose every time I've done it. Always on Romanian barrels.
Yup that will do it for sure Konstantin. Good tip thank you.
4thIDvet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 11:29 PM   #6
dinkydow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanders View Post
I had a stubborn Romanian "G" kit barrel pin that I had to take to a machine shop to have taken out. They burned through 3 drill bits to remove it. I don't know what it was made out of, but it wasn't coming out for nothing.
On THOSE that will not come out....I use a 3/16" straight flute, carbide bit in my drill press and just drill a hole through the middle of it. They come out easy when you do that. I have only had to do that 3-4 times after building hundreds of AK's. I keep a supply of new barrel pins.

"Let your plans be dark and as impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt."
"Violence of action means the unrestricted use of speed,strength, surprise and aggression to achieve total dominance against your enemy...any fighting technique is useless unless you totally commit to violence of action."

Burning huts in commy vills worldwide since 1968
dinkydow is online now   Reply With Quote