Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Ammunition and Reloading Forum
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register

Ammunition and Reloading Forum All about ammunition, reloading and reloading equipment

Old 04-23-2006, 04:35 PM   #1
Moon
IncogNegro
Gyroball Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Bin Laden Liquors Champion, Crab Volleyball Champion, Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Ms Pacman Champion

Default Most accurate round for....

.22-250, in Remington 700 VS. Has thick, 26" heavy barrel, heavy synthetic stock. Leupold rings, complemented with VariX-III riflescope. I'm aware that this is not a competition rifle, but I've gone through the expense of providing a good rifle, good scope/mounts, bisexual-pod. I'm having a little trouble with finding the most-perfect round of ammunition. This rifle has made some truly amazing shots before, but I've missed a few too, which pisses me off

I've been dicking around with different types of ammo, but haven't had much luck at all. The crappy wal-mart white-box "blaster-pack" seems to do just as well as the $20 box of Federal Premiums (at 100y, they get a little crappier at 200y). I was completely blown away by this ! Can anyone give me some insight here ? Anyone have experience with shooting .22-250 out of this type of rifle ?
Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 04:47 PM   #2
partssman
Redneck Moderator

maybe 19 will be able to help you out 'shner

"If you're not shootin', you should be loadin'. If you're not loadin', you should be movin', if you're not movin', someone's gonna cut your head off and put it on a stick."
- Clint Smith, Director of Thunder Ranch
partssman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 04:57 PM   #3
Moon
IncogNegro
Gyroball Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Bin Laden Liquors Champion, Crab Volleyball Champion, Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Ms Pacman Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by partssman
maybe 19 will be able to help you out 'shner
Hopefully. Out of all the homiez here, he seems to know the most about this type of subject, specifically .22-250Rem. He mentioned making a "500" shot, I'm secretly wondering if he meant 500y or 500m. If it's 500y, I need to take a lesson !

I'm kinda hopin' ol' Cephus will chime in here too.
Old 04-23-2006, 05:33 PM   #4
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

I'm wondering if you might have a defective scope. Leupolds are first rate scopes, but any manufacturer can have the occasional defective product. You should be getting very tight shot groups at 200 yards with that rig.
Old 04-23-2006, 06:00 PM   #5
Moon
IncogNegro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo
I'm wondering if you might have a defective scope. Leupolds are first rate scopes, but any manufacturer can have the occasional defective product. You should be getting very tight shot groups at 200 yards with that rig.
Could be, I hadn't really considered that possibility. At 100y, one bullet goes through the paper, and the following two usually go right through the first hole. At 200y, things get a little crappier. I've had 3-shot groups as small as a quarter, but I've had 'em as big as a baseball too.
Old 04-23-2006, 06:31 PM   #6
Gus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonShiner
.22-250, in Remington 700 VS. Has thick, 26" heavy barrel, heavy synthetic stock. Leupold rings, complemented with VariX-III riflescope.:
Moon I shot many years with a fella with the same rifle, barrel and caliber. He shot that rifle so good it was disgusting as we used to compete and I was using my Winchester 30-06 and didn't have a prayer. I sent him an e-mail to get his specifications on the loads he uses and will post it for you as soon as I receive it. As I recall his scope 4X16X? I can’t remember the manufacture.
Gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 06:59 PM   #7
Moon
IncogNegro

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusB
Moon I shot many years with a fella with the same rifle, barrel and caliber. As I recall his scope 4X16X? I can’t remember the manufacture.
The VariX-III is 4.5x by 16x magnifications. I keep hearing people tell me "God damn, dude... you ought to be picking flies off with that thing". Everyone that sees it (that knows what the hell it is) drools a little when they look at it. When I shoot at the range, I try to take the "shooter-error" element out as much as possible by using the bisexual-pod and putting sandbags under the shoulder-pad of the stock. I still brace up real good against the rifle, but I'm not actually steadying it, gravity is. Would anyone recommend a rapid-lock device ?
Old 04-23-2006, 07:09 PM   #8
9teen11
PERMANENTLY BANNED
Asteroids Champion

Ive used various powders but always used a sierra 52gn bthp. They were the ants pants in both my rifles. M77 ruger & a Remington 700.

The mates that shoot that round in comp at the longer ranges (500yds) use the match king proj of the same spec & they go through all the basics even down to matching their brass according to volume & weighing & batching their projectiles so that everything is ultra consistent. Ive always found that any extra effort in making ammo consistenct reflects in group size so its well worth the effort.

They never use factory ammo in comp. Its made for everyone & no one at the same time. Got to find something that is perfect for your stick & go with that.
9teen11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 07:13 PM   #9
partssman
Redneck Moderator

told ya he'd know
partssman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 07:31 PM   #10
9teen11
PERMANENTLY BANNED
Asteroids Champion

Mind you, your shooting sub MOA groups there & that what you want. I consider a 200 yd group the size of a quarter pretty tight from a non target rifle. Personally, Id be happy with that because all the game I shoot have heads bigger than a quarter.

Ive noticed that wind & heat mirage start to have effect from 200. That stuff has to be mastered for the longer shots. By the time you get back as far as 500, that becomes a big chunk of everything.

We learned that stuff as boys on the big range. Bolt action 308s with apature sights. we shot from 300 to 900 yards. Went back another 100 each week, then back to 300 & start again. Hitting possibles were hardest at 600 & 900 as the target size did not increase from the previous range. If you couldnt read wind & heat you had no hope of being competative.

I think that if a bloke wants to shoot more than 400yds, a 308 is a very good choice.

Im a bit worried about your pod. Its sexual confusion may be a problem.
Old 04-23-2006, 08:10 PM   #11
Rew

Another problem you might be having Moon, mind you this is just a thought. What is the rate of twist on your rifle and what wight bullet are you using? It really sounds to me like the bullets are beginning to destabilize between 100 and 200 yards.
Rew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 08:29 PM   #12
wc846

rew, the remington 700 VLS in 22-250 is a 1 in 14 twist..
wc846 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 08:37 PM   #13
Cephus
The OLD COOT one and only

OK Moon I'll chime in with ,ya have got some good info here already ,and it's all sound advise !!! Check everything twice and then do it one more time from the scope mount to the bedding on the stock one loose screw can do just that !!
So how about we ask you a question or two ,what bullet are you shooting in it and how old is the barrel with how many shoots through it .
If the throat has erroded and the bullet is making a jump to rifling this may cause what REW talked about the same as the twist !!
There is alot of things that would cause this ,I would have to say if the twist is a stock twist that the 52 should hold a MOA at 250 depending on your rest and how good ya are !!!

But There was a guy I used to compete with that said ,Hell from the time ya touch the trigger till hits the target there is only 867,943 things that go wrong !!! " So ya start with the small stuff !!!!
THAT IS BLOOD

Cephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 09:01 PM   #14
Moon
IncogNegro

Thanks WC, I didn't know the rifling twist rate. I was curious about bullet destabilization too, as it relates to the rifling twist.

The rifle has had less than 10 boxes of shells through it, 6 or 7 being more realistic. It's not more than a few years old (5 at the very most). I guess my next step is to take a very serious look at it all again. I checked the bedding, and five $20 bills float between the stock and barrel all the way down until it finds the receiver.

I put the scope, rings, mount on myself, but then a rifle fuckin' MASTER redid it for me while I was at Bass Pro shops a couple of years ago (no shit, this guy definately knew his material. He inspected the rifle for me and said it was in tip-top shape).

I promise I'm a decent rifle shot, bowing humbly to those better than I am in here. I think finding the most-perfect load will help tremendously.
Old 04-23-2006, 09:07 PM   #15
9teen11
PERMANENTLY BANNED
Asteroids Champion

Quote:
I think finding the most-perfect load will help tremendously.
Yep, & its fun finding it too! Keep lots of notes