Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Ammunition and Reloading Forum
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Ammunition and Reloading Forum All about ammunition, reloading and reloading equipment

Old 09-23-2016, 03:39 PM   #31
Sanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czubek View Post
How reliable and how much can you trust the posted recipes from the powder manufactures websites?

Brian
Like they say - work your way up.

I always find that the high end of the manufacturer's data is about right, anyway. For instance, when I was working up my BE-86 9mm loads. The max throw from the manufacturer was the most accurate load.

Also, I did a little comparison of loads by Alliant (2014 publishing) and the Lyman 49th Edition and found that Lyman's max loads were heavier than Alliant's max loads for various calibers.

So, my conclusion is that the powder manufacturer's max loads are not going to endanger you if your components and your gun are in good condition.

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 03:50 PM   #32
Czubek
slug
Cat Bowling Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanders View Post
Like they say - work your way up.

I always find that the high end of the manufacturer's data is about right, anyway. For instance, when I was working up my BE-86 9mm loads. The max throw from the manufacturer was the most accurate load.

Also, I did a little comparison of loads by Alliant (2014 publishing) and the Lyman 49th Edition and found that Lyman's max loads were heavier than Alliant's max loads for various calibers.

So, my conclusion is that the powder manufacturer's max loads are not going to endanger you if your components and your gun are in good condition.
Interesting information. I have noticed that some manufactures use a named brand and type of bullet throughout their testing to make up the loads.

Our pastor and I stopped at Sierra Bullets, in Sedalia, Mo after we went to Midway, to pick up some seconds, but they didn't have what I wanted, which were 9 x 19 115 and 124 grain FMJs and .45 ACP 230 grain FMJs, so I picked up some Sports Masters in .40 S&W, both 165 grain and 180 grain, as I have the carbine that shoots those and I wasn't going away empty handed. Pastor for his 223 varmit bullets and .308 bullets he wanted. I can't find recipes for those, but a couple have the Speer equivalents, but I'm not going to load anything, until I'm sure.

Brian

Here at the Dirty Dozen's Bunker, we have no problems, only solutions.
Czubek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 04:52 PM   #33
THE DUDE

the min-max are mostly there for legal reasons.

I've shot 150gr 30-30 loaded 6 grains over Lee's max . In a G2 .

Zero signs of over pressure/flow on the head and no signs of strain on the shoulder/neck. Not something I'd shoot all day unless you want carpal tunnel .
Old 09-25-2016, 05:14 PM   #34
4thIDvet
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9teen11 View Post
We can still have an awful lot of gear but its all registered so we only have it while ever we "qualify". No 2nd Amendment 'rights" here. I've got quite a few firearms registered to me, I hunt & also shoot at the range regularly & will be putting in for 3 or 4 more permits to purchase in the coming weeks. I've bought a few more & they are at my dealer's awaiting the transfers..

I'm shooting plenty of reloadable calibres, 38 super, 357 mag, 223, 22-250, 243, 25-06, 303, 308, 12 gauge. So long as I've got the paperwork, I can buy powder, projectiles & primers.

I liked things better when we had neither moslems or gun registration.
Well off topic Brian. Never ever ever were their the badest Blokes than the Aussies and the ROC Army and Marines in Vietnam. Whoops nobody and everyone got the frig in of their way..
I hope the frigging hell you Blokes down under hid some powder and F$%K the left wing powers that be.. I frigging love drinking a pint with my Aussie brothers. You guys are the toughest of the toughest.

ADD: I never worked with the Aussise but all word I got was when they came in everyone get the fright out of their way.
Old 09-30-2016, 06:42 PM   #35
Czubek
slug
Cat Bowling Champion

I finally loaded a few .40 S&W rounds and they came out pretty good. I used new Starline brass, Sierra 165 grain hollow points (seconds) and Unique powder. Tried a few first in a carbine, then a Glock 22. They all went bang and cycled fine, even with the lowest listed load.

Brian
Old 10-01-2016, 01:27 AM   #36
kostner

Lee Classic 4 Hole Turret Press used mainly for 5.56 reloading coupled with Lee's new powder drum is a good set up.
kostner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 05:47 AM   #37
9teen11
PERMANENTLY BANNED
Asteroids Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thIDvet View Post
Well off topic Brian. Never ever ever were their the badest Blokes than the Aussies and the ROC Army and Marines in Vietnam. Whoops nobody and everyone got the frig in of their way..
I hope the frigging hell you Blokes down under hid some powder and F$%K the left wing powers that be.. I frigging love drinking a pint with my Aussie brothers. You guys are the toughest of the toughest.

ADD: I never worked with the Aussise but all word I got was when they came in everyone get the fright out of their way.
Off topic all right!

I think a lot of blokes were die hard types but that was 20 years back now and a couple of decades contributes significantly to oldness, slowness, fatness and pissed offness.

We have also had an entire generation grow up without seeing a gun shop in their main street in many cases. We have had 20 plus years of hard core feminism rotting away at mens nuts turning them into girlymen with hair buns and hipster beards. We also have had the faggot agenda run riot in our schools so that kids think that there are 6 or more genders and on top of all that, the alpha male stereotype has been demonised.

You have to get well away from cities to find anything that I would equate with what Australia was or should be. The modern PC world has cursed both our once great nations.

I was snotting steel e type targets at 500 yds today though. Ill be cranking out more pills on the dillon 650 sometime in the next few days.

There you go, back on topic!
9teen11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 05:54 AM   #38
4thIDvet
slug

O.K. so what you are saying is anyone with a clean record can essentially buy a weapon and reloading supplies as long as they register for a permit?
I can guess AR=15s and a lot weapons allowed here presently are forboden? I would also bet a vast majority of Aussies never turned their guns in?
4thIDvet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 06:12 AM   #39
Czubek
slug
Cat Bowling Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostner View Post
Lee Classic 4 Hole Turret Press used mainly for 5.56 reloading coupled with Lee's new powder drum is a good set up.
This one is the Auto Drum and it seems to work pretty good, once you get it dialled in.

I can see I will need a chronograph to check these loads, though.

Brian
Old 10-01-2016, 06:19 AM   #40
9teen11
PERMANENTLY BANNED
Asteroids Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thIDvet View Post
O.K. so what you are saying is anyone with a clean record can essentially buy a weapon and reloading supplies as long as they register for a permit?
I can guess AR=15s and a lot weapons allowed here presently are forboden? I would also bet a vast majority of Aussies never turned their guns in?
If you have had no convictions for 10 years, you can apply for a licence. You have to have a valid reason such as hunting/target shooting to support your application. Once you are licenced, you can buy a registered weapon. Generally, bolt, lever and pump in rifles. You can still get AR15 style weapons but they are more stringently controlled so as good as no one except professional shooters have them. There are a LOT of hoops to jump through and security and safekeeping are extreme for that platform. Shotguns are fine but no pumps or SA unless pro shooting.

Handguns are fine but cal 38 or less, wheel guns and semis mag cap 10. Target shooting or primary producers only. There are some exceptions such as pre 1945 collectors but pretty well thats about it.

It isn't like it used to be and never will be again. Penalties for having illegally owned weapons are extreme. I think a lot of the old blokes probably had a few things put away but that was 20 years back. You would have to be nuts to do things illegally when you can do it kosher.

There have been plenty of articles in the papers since the hand ins, they have quoted various figures but they float between "hundreds of thousands" and "over a million" firearms were nor handed in. There is no way of ever knowing.
Old 10-01-2016, 06:30 PM   #41
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9teen11 View Post
I'm surprised no one said "Dillon".

I like 'em. I've had square deals, 550's & have 650 at the moment.

I've also got RCBS turrets and single stages too if I'm not being progressive.

Only lee products I've got it allox and a factory crimp die.
I have several reloaders. I have a 550 that I used for cowboy action shooting. In that sport you have to reload a lot of ammo.

For the shooting now I mostly use a Redding press. I also have a Lyman turret press that I hardly ever use anymore.

I used to have some Lee equipment. I sold it all except for the Lee factory crimp dies - they are the cat's meow.
Old 10-01-2016, 06:57 PM   #42
Sanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo View Post
I have several reloaders. I have a 550 that I used for cowboy action shooting. In that sport you have to reload a lot of ammo.

For the shooting now I mostly use a Redding press. I also have a Lyman turret press that I hardly ever use anymore.

I used to have some Lee equipment. I sold it all except for the Lee factory crimp dies - they are the cat's meow.
It is the Lee Factory Crimp dies that stopped me from giving up reloading ,45 ACP. I could never get the taper crimp quite right with my RCBS die.
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 08:18 PM   #43
Czubek
slug
Cat Bowling Champion

The factory crimp dies are what came with the die sets I bought.

Brian
Old 10-01-2016, 09:20 PM   #44
4thIDvet
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czubek View Post
The factory crimp dies are what came with the die sets I bought.

Brian
Ah hell Brian you will be fine. Just practice with what yah have and stay within tolerances and bust some caps. Just imagine the old cowboys reloading out in no mans land and things went bang.
If they didn't they got scalped. We just try again.
4thIDvet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 09:42 PM   #45
9teen11
PERMANENTLY BANNED
Asteroids Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo View Post

550s are brilliant presses. I would have loaded tens of thousands of 45 acp on mine.

Lee factory crimp dies are indeed the voice of the cat!

Cowboy action is quite popular here and is a valid reason to own calibres over 38. Got to love SAA revolvers.