Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Chaplains Corner
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Chaplains Corner A place to discuss religion, personal problems, or to request advise from someone who will listen and provide moral support.

Old 04-07-2006, 10:47 PM   #1
Snook

Default Little Country Church

There is a small country church near my hunting club. I pass it every weekend during hunting season and it is the mental image of every country church. White wooden building with est. 1830 over the door.

My cousin and I dropped in for a revival service there one Sat night. They always have the cutest sayings on their sign out front and my cousin called and I agreed to go.

The evangelist was an old fashioned, hell's fire preacher and very interesting. It took me back to my childhood a bit and I imagine it was close to the stories I have heard about old fashioned camp meetings.

The sermon was on Idolotry (sp?). The speaker built from a small verse a "performance". He spoke of Idols old and new. From the golden calf to modern times. He didn't miss a lick. At one point he started in on the women. He spoke of the idols that women today worship......movie stars, the large house, cars...etc. Then he started on the men....he started with our jobs, our wives, our families.......He explained how even our past times have become modern idols because they detract from our service to our Lord.

The congregation, rather than be taken back, were truly being moved and loadly crying Amen! Preach brother Preach. He kept building and building as the congregation became more and more vocal and more and more approving.

The speaker listing the idols fell upon the hobbies again. He proclaimed, "Fishing and Hunting are idols". Men spend to much time hunting and fishing these days when they should be doing God's work". You could have heard a pin drop in this small backwoods Alabama Baptist church. The speaker paused and got an odd look on his face as the awkward silence enveloped the room. Just as I thought I couldn't take another moment of this awkward scene the old man sitting in front of me (probably late 70's to 80 years of age) spoke up and in a load voice proclaimed, "Alright now you've gone from preaching to meddeling ......move on!". It was all I could do to keep from bursting out.

Don't know why this crossed my mind but I hope you find the humor in it as i have everytime I think about that Saturday night in an old Alabama church.
Old 04-07-2006, 10:56 PM   #2
garyhh44

Smile

Very good story
Old 04-07-2006, 11:13 PM   #3
pistol-packin-wifey
Southern Gun Girl

sounds like a great sermon and a funny ending
Old 04-07-2006, 11:25 PM   #4
Cephus
The OLD COOT one and only

That there old man knew of what he spoke ,that was meddlin and not preachin !!!!! LOL
That was a good one ,I liked it cause it sounded like what my grandpa would have said !!!!
THAT IS BLOOD

Cephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 11:25 PM   #5
TammiJ
No Member

I've always thought the ideal church for me would be a very small country church with less than 20 worshippers on their faces praising and worshipping the Lord. No money, no politics..just praising the Lord. He has done sooooo much for me and my family.
TammiJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 12:01 AM   #6
Sanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by TammiJ
I've always thought the ideal church for me would be a very small country church with less than 20 worshippers on their faces praising and worshipping the Lord. No money, no politics..just praising the Lord. He has done sooooo much for me and my family.
The church I recently stopped attending was once that way. Perhaps that's why it grew so big and so fast. The pastor was a humble, gifted teacher with an annointing and a no-holds barred way of teaching Scripture.

Somewhere along the line, everything changed. Money became more important than the Gospel. It truly saddens me. I didn't lose my love of the church, the church left me.

But, Snooks story made me laugh out loud...it was good to read that.

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 08:54 AM   #7
DorGunR

Talking

Quote:
"Alright now you've gone from preaching to meddeling ......move on!"
hehehe............
DorGunR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 09:59 AM   #8
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Very good post. It makes a person think about where they place their priorities.
Old 04-08-2006, 10:54 AM   #9
RTO

Good story, Snook. That took me back many years to a small town in Georgia Church of God that I attended with my Grandparents. Thanks.
RTO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 03:59 PM   #10
partssman
Redneck Moderator

I liked that....sounded as if someone got their toes stepped on :lol

I do love to hear an old timey Baptist ...........when the get red in the face and wiping their forehead with their hanky,....man now that's preachin

No offense inteneded to our Chaplin

"If you're not shootin', you should be loadin'. If you're not loadin', you should be movin', if you're not movin', someone's gonna cut your head off and put it on a stick."
- Clint Smith, Director of Thunder Ranch
partssman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 11:58 PM   #11
Preacher
Chaplain/Moderator

Hey, no offense taken. You described me to a T. I have had people get up and walk out of my service before because of sore toes.

However I see nothing wrong with hunting and fishing as long as they do not interfere with going to Church. But if it's on your time instead of Church time, then have at it.

You and I have a rendezvous with destiny. We will preserve for our children this, the last best hope of man on earth, or we will sentence them to take the first step into a thousand years of darkness. If we fail, at least let our children and our children's children say of us we justified our brief moment here. We did all that could be done.

Ronald Reagan - 1964
-------------------------------------
Bunker Member #4.
Preacher is online now   Reply With Quote