Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > General Discussion Forum
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register

Old 11-04-2018, 06:27 PM   #61
Thanatos
Grunt-o-saurus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qksFSJ6qOW0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eTw3q9H2Zs

Now then... at point blank range, against a motivated bear? I think I'll stick to a 4" barrel for the 500 S&W, just like I bought... MUCH quicker handling when up close and personal. And I'll stick to the 700 grn bullet, at point blank, tumbling or not. And you want a REAL test? Shoot that pistol one handed, double action, just like you would in a defensive moment. And with a HEAVY powder charge, not a commercial and lawyer safe load.

As far as the injuns and their .22 shorts? They can have my ticket to THAT ride. I put a little greater value to MY hide, thank you very much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyYLFO3o_rY

Was out with a group of "steel shooters", with their little pop guns, shooting at steel plates dangling from chains, on stands... They were using .380s, 9mms, 38 Specials, etc etc etc. I got tired of playing with the ParaOrdnace P14/45... was child's play. Brought out the 500 S&W. Using a 350 grn "plinking load", it hit the plate so hard that it knocked over the stand that it was suspended from... repeatedly. So then, after letting a few of the braver ones sample it, I did a one handed, double action, rapid fire, quickly as I could empty the cylinder.
Yeah, I did have a bit of a smirk on my face, viewing their slack jaws.

Now, I'm not "Merc sized", but... I was firing M-29s before the first Dirty Harry movie came out, back in my teens (when I was like 6' tall, and 115 pounds), and when commercial loads were not pajama boy safe. I have not been sissyfied by little prissy rounds, my whole life, so... iff'n it don't hurt the hand? How is it s'posed to have any authority down range???

You can hit that bear with a Fiat 600, going 45 mph (assuming it could go that fast), or you can hit it with a freight train going 60 mph. I'll take the freight train, thank you. Something small might just deflect off that hard head of the bear... at least with a 700 grn bullet, you know it is going to stun the bear sufficiently for a 2nd (and 3rd, or more) shot to secure the damned beast.

No... I do NOT like bears. I respect their lethality. I do not want to dance with them. I want to END them.
Thanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 06:30 PM   #62
Stalky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanatos View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qksFSJ6qOW0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eTw3q9H2Zs

Now then... at point blank range, against a motivated bear? I think I'll stick to a 4" barrel for the 500 S&W, just like I bought... MUCH quicker handling when up close and personal. And I'll stick to the 700 grn bullet, at point blank, tumbling or not. And you want a REAL test? Shoot that pistol one handed, double action, just like you would in a defensive moment. And with a HEAVY powder charge, not a commercial and lawyer safe load.

As far as the injuns and their .22 shorts? They can have my ticket to THAT ride. I put a little greater value to MY hide, thank you very much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyYLFO3o_rY

Was out with a group of "steel shooters", with their little pop guns, shooting at steel plates dangling from chains, on stands... They were using .380s, 9mms, 38 Specials, etc etc etc. I got tired of playing with the ParaOrdnace P14/45... was child's play. Brought out the 500 S&W. Using a 350 grn "plinking load", it hit the plate so hard that it knocked over the stand that it was suspended from... repeatedly. So then, after letting a few of the braver ones sample it, I did a one handed, double action, rapid fire, quickly as I could empty the cylinder.
Yeah, I did have a bit of a smirk on my face, viewing their slack jaws.

Now, I'm not "Merc sized", but... I was firing M-29s before the first Dirty Harry movie came out, back in my teens (when I was like 6' tall, and 115 pounds), and when commercial loads were not pajama boy safe. I have not been sissyfied by little prissy rounds, my whole life, so... iff'n it don't hurt the hand? How is it s'posed to have any authority down range???

You can hit that bear with a Fiat 600, going 45 mph (assuming it could go that fast), or you can hit it with a freight train going 60 mph. I'll take the freight train, thank you. Something small might just deflect off that hard head of the bear... at least with a 700 grn bullet, you know it is going to stun the bear sufficiently for a 2nd (and 3rd, or more) shot to secure the damned beast.

No... I do NOT like bears. I respect their lethality. I do not want to dance with them. I want to END them.
A men.
Stalky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 06:33 PM   #63
Stalky

It took 15 rounds of head shots to kill a raccoon. Plus a load of buckshot.
They are Wild animals.
Stalky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 04:09 AM   #64
mr-ak-47
Massa di Avatars

Thumbs up WE want an update Tim....

....make a pet out of it....

One person says something stupid, and the other stupid people hear him, and the next thing you know, you're getting tortured in a gulag.

Welcome to democracy, where your rights depend on the howling of the mob.

mr-ak-47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 07:58 AM   #65
Merc
Expendable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanatos View Post
[url]At point blank range, against a motivated bear? I think I'll stick to a 4" barrel for the 500 S&W, just like I bought.....
I'll stick to the 700 grn bullet, at point blank......
Brought out the 500 S&W. Using a 350 grn "plinking load", it hit the plate so hard that it knocked over the stand that it was suspended from...
A 350 grain "plinking load" ???

MERC

Know your enemy, know his sword -
Miyamoto Musashi
The Book of Five Rings

Blessed be the Lord , my strength,
which teacheth my hands to war,
and my fingers to fight.
My goodness, and my fortress;
my high tower, and my deliverer;
my shield, and he in whom I trust;
Merc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 08:40 AM   #66
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

When I'm in Brown Bear country I'll prefer bear spray over any handgun. Most trappers and fisherman in Alaska carry bear spray and some carry shotguns in addition to thte bear spray.

And in Brown Bear country there are also Mountain Lions. They are fast and hide until they pounce. I'd definitely prefer bear spray over any firearm against them.
Old 11-05-2018, 08:42 AM   #67
aviator
unum de multis

That guy shooting the shotgun was nuts. You don't stop a one ton bear running at you with a shotgun, that was close, I wonder if the dog came out OK.
Old 11-05-2018, 08:58 AM   #68
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator View Post
That guy shooting the shotgun was nuts. You don't stop a one ton bear running at you with a shotgun, that was close, I wonder if the dog came out OK.
His idiotic move was that he probably was loaded with bird shot and he intentionally shot the bear in the side so he wouldn't harm the bear.

Bird shot would have stopped the bear if he had shot it in the face, and then shot it in the face again and again until the gun was empty.

If it came down to me or the bear, it would be me surviving.
Pogo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 09:08 AM   #69
aviator
unum de multis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo View Post
His idiotic move was that he probably was loaded with bird shot and he intentionally shot the bear in the side so he wouldn't harm the bear.

Bird shot would have stopped the bear if he had shot it in the face, and then shot it in the face again and again until the gun was empty.

If it came down to me or the bear, it would be me surviving.
I'm sure that at close range a 12 gauge slug to the head would stop the bear but he was moving and the bear was moving, I would not risk it, get inside the house as fast as you can.
aviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 09:38 AM   #70
Diesel 88888888
slug

Mexican

Almost any determined bear can crash though the average door...up in Alaska the trappers used to put sharpened spikes, lots of them, facing out on their doors and shutters to help keep the bears out...didn't help much with the roof though.

I have an old Haida painted dance robe made out of a grizzly bear hide, tanned and painted with the hair and claws still on it...dam that was a big bear...hide does have one small hole in it...!

Duty is Action; Fight Or Die! Fight Or I'll Kill You Myself!
Diesel 88888888 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 10:10 AM   #71
mr-ak-47
Massa di Avatars

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator View Post
I'm sure that at close range a 12 gauge slug to the head would stop the bear but he was moving and the bear was moving, I would not risk it, get inside the house as fast as you can.

...Then be like Tim,...and punch it in the nose......
mr-ak-47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 10:14 AM   #72
aviator
unum de multis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr-ak-47 View Post
At 3 in the morning anything or anybody punching through my door will feel a 230 gr kiss on their head, I'm not that crazy. I'll deal with the problems later.
aviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 10:25 AM   #73
Thanatos
Grunt-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc View Post
A 350 grain "plinking load" ???

MERC
Well, yeah...

A 350 grain commercial load... +/- 1400 fps. Pretty soft, actually, comparatively...

Guess you might have to shoot a "hot" load to appreciate the difference.
Thanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 10:28 AM   #74
Diesel 88888888
slug

Nuke

I'd still prefer the old 45/70 of my youth...in a Winchester lever action of course.
Diesel 88888888 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 10:29 AM   #75
4thIDvet
slug

Spinz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr-ak-47 View Post
No Marine it was a karate chop to the head.