Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Rifles
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2017, 08:16 PM   #1
Pvt.Joker

Default Springfield M1C Garand... or is it a Marine MC 1952 Garand?

Any love for the M1C Garand? I traded into one today that has been authenticated as being an original M1C receiver s/n and having been sold by the CMP around 2000 or so, and has the mount on the side (but no scope or rail) and has the SA-52 rebuild mark on the heel of it (which with the excellent condition SA parts and 53 barrel indicates it was one of 368 M1C rifles rebuilt by SA in 1952). BUT the serial number is supposed to date it as being one of 11 built between November and December 1944, which makes it a real WWII Garand sniper rifle and a very early one at that. It has the G&H non-numbered base on the side but no scope mount or scope. The rifle has a pretty rare history as an early WWII M1C. Perhaps even early enough to be one of the few that may have actually saw deployment at the end of the war? Possibly in Korea as well? But then it got sent back to SA to be overhauled and rebuilt in the SA-52 program, most logically because the original parts had been worn out in combat in WWII and Korea. The barrel and all the mechanical parts are in excellent condition and it looks almost new from a quick field strip internally. Do you guys think I should just go with a repro scope and stick with the rebuild version, or try to find the correct December 1944 parts and try to put it back into that shape (albeit with the SA-52 heel mark still denoting it had been rebuilt previously)? I'm interested in opinions, but I am into this rifle pretty deep based upon the s/n having been authenticated as an M1C so not scoping it at all is not really why I traded into it. I know some purists will say to leave it without the scope but the base has already been added by someone before me, so I might as well use it, IMHO. Or...

One other thought crossed my mind about this rifle. I understand that the USMC MC-1952 rifles were built from WWII M1C rifles.There isn't a lot of information I could find on how to identify one of those from a regular M1C, except that they were supposedly rebuilt at SA around the same timeframe as the SA 52 rebuild program that included 368 M1C rifles from WWII. Is there any way to figure out if this might be one of the Marine Corps MC-1952 ones?

I will add that this rifle being auctioned by James D. Julia as an original MC-1952 appears to be the same as mine in almost every detail I could compare from the pictures, from the stock markings all the way to the SA 52 rebuild mark, so IF this one is legit, then mine may be as well.

http://jamesdjulia.com/item/lot-373-...r-rifle-31838/

Old 04-15-2017, 08:40 PM   #2
RetVet
Statistical Error

I would scope it at least. As for correct 1944 parts I don't know. It's a rebuild and that is part of its history too.
RetVet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 09:20 AM   #3
Sanders

That's quite a find. I always figured they were made of "Unobtainium".

Μολών Λαβέ!! WWHBD

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:34 PM   #4
Pvt.Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanders View Post
That's quite a find. I always figured they were made of "Unobtainium".
So did I. I had a clone build (with original parts) of an M1D about 9 years ago, but running into an M1C with a verification letter was NOT on the list of things I had planned to wind up being able to ever get. It just happened that a friend of mine had it on his table at the TN Military Collectors Show this last weekend, and he was interested in a couple of rifles that I had available (both were pretty neat in their own right but also current production commercially available ones) so we traded. I won a Kollmorgen Bear Cub scope now on GB and I am talking with a friend on FAL Files about a mount for it to attach it to the M1C, which would set it up in the MC 1952 configuration especially with all the rebuild parts being correct for that version. Not the original MC1 4XD USMC scope, granted, but those things are impossible to find and typically impossibly expense for my budget when you DO run across one. Maybe in time? But for now I would be happy to get the Bear Cub (which is what the USMC tested on these and chose as their pick of what was available at the time, before they had a run made just for them with the large turrets) and a reproduction MC1 mount for it. I'll add more photos when I get it along that far.
Pvt.Joker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:45 PM   #5
dinkydow
Machine Gun Mod

I purchased two M1D's from the CMP years ago. You entered a "lotto" and if they pulled your letter you got one. All of them were out of Government Depots and were unfired from arsenal overhaul and came with all the goodies. I entered the lotto with around...150 letters...Mine were, both Winchesters. I sold one....foolishly....and still have one. $900.00 each. M1C's were also available with scopes for around $1300.00 IIRC.

"Let your plans be dark and as impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt."

Peace is our profession. War is our hobby.
dinkydow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:03 AM   #6
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

One of the best books on the M1 Garand is the one by Joe Poyer and Craig Riesch. It will give you the correct drawing number for each part of your particular rifle. (Drawing number is the stamped number on each part)

Most M1 Garands have been returned to depot to be stripped, cleaned, and rebuilt several times. Few have all original parts. When I assembled my M1 Garand, I just looked for new old stock. I didn't pay any attention to the drawing number. I just wanted a new rifle. One thing that I wanted was a type 1 trigger guard even though the correct one for when my reciever was made would be a Type 2. I just liked the look of the type 1 better.

I got everything new old stock on mine except for a mint condition receiver that I bought from CMP and a new Boyds stock.

Anyway, that book is full of information on the Garand rifle.

Old 04-18-2017, 08:10 AM   #7
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

I checked and the book above is available on Amazon. When I bought mine it was in it's 2nd edition. Now they are up to the 6th edition.

I highly recommend it to all M1 Garand owners.

https://www.amazon.com/M1-Garand-193...r+craig+riesch

I also have a Garand book by Scott Duff. But I prefer the Poyer/Riesch book.
Pogo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 07:22 PM   #8
MrKalashnikov

Joe Poyer has written a lot of great books on surplus military rifles, I have a couple.
MrKalashnikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 01:53 AM   #9
Pvt.Joker

Thanks for the tip on the book. I am going to have to order one of those. In the meantime, I am waiting for the results of the serial number trace from CMP to get here (hopefully next week, according to the nice lady I spoke to there) and see just what more information I can get from them. Once I know more about what I currently have, I can make a more informed decision on how to proceed with it- MC1952, original 1944 M1C configuration (with gathering the correct December 1944 parts), Korea era overhaul, or what...
Pvt.Joker is online now   Reply With Quote