Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > C&R Forum
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

C&R Forum Curio and Relic discussion area

Old 10-17-2013, 03:55 PM   #1
FireEater

Default WWII Japanese Arisaka

Does anybody have an idea of what an average to good condition Japanese Arisaka rifle with the Imperial mark on the barrel and correct bayonet is going for these days?

I'm not trying to steal it, but a buddy is wanting to sell and I am willing to give him fair value on it.
FireEater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 04:16 PM   #2
DirtySteve
Starship Legend Champion

Don't know the monetary value, but I know the chrysanthimum logo is sought after on the earlier model I think.....might wanna double check.
DirtySteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 04:21 PM   #3
FireEater

I don't know anything specific about these guns, never even shopped them before. Gunbroker has them all over the map, from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars. I don't even know if this one is the 7.7mm or 6.5mm, but I do know the bore is clean and the action is smooth, especially considering how much dust is on/in it. Rifling is sharp and like I said it does have the bayonet. No cleaning rod, no sling, and the rear sight looks a bit different from pics I've seen. It does appear to be the original stock. No rust to be seen inside or out.
Old 10-17-2013, 04:33 PM   #4
mr-ak-47
Massa di Avatars

.....ask Pvt. Joker,...he's up on all those prices, he' is my go to guy for information...

One person says something stupid, and the other stupid people hear him, and the next thing you know, you're getting tortured in a gulag.

Welcome to democracy, where your rights depend on the howling of the mob.

mr-ak-47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 04:38 PM   #5
baboon
slug

If the chrysanthimum is present you do have a sought after gun. I had one I left behind @ my dad's house my nephew stole & sold.

Condition being everything $400.00 & up.
baboon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:06 PM   #6
Preacher
Chaplain/Moderator

I have one that has been rechambered to 7.62x39. Fun little rifle to shoot.

Rugged little pieces. Never had any issues with mine.

You and I have a rendezvous with destiny. We will preserve for our children this, the last best hope of man on earth, or we will sentence them to take the first step into a thousand years of darkness. If we fail, at least let our children and our children's children say of us we justified our brief moment here. We did all that could be done.

Ronald Reagan - 1964
-------------------------------------
Bunker Member #4.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:40 PM   #7
FireEater

Default Thanks for all the quick replies!

I found a nearly identical rifle on gunbroker, but the one I have has a full chrysanthemum, prettier wood, less rust, and the bayonet with scabbard. Here is a link to the listing:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=370813693

The starting bid for this gun is $300. Fair?

That's right you observant ones, I said the one I have! I went ahead and picked it up, and I didn't pay that much

I'll clean it up and oil it down then post some pics. I like it, hopefully I can find some ammo this weekend for it and try it out!
Old 10-17-2013, 09:07 PM   #8
RTO

Is yours a "last ditch" Arisaka?

The type 99 is a 7.7mm. I have one that is not in real good shape. Someone bothered to carve "Johnny" into the right side of the stock. Don't know if it was the man that brought it back or Bubba.

Make America Like Florida
RTO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:38 PM   #9
10 Bears
Ron North's Jewels Champion, Flash Poker Champion

If it has a Chrome lined barrel it will also be worth more.

Last ditch models go for as much as, ohhhh, ummmm, $10.00 or more.
Chrisanthemum marked, 7.7 pre war chrome bbl are the most saught after.
Hell, even back in the late 50s they went for $100.00 or more.
10 Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:03 PM   #10
RTO

Good points Bears.

I have a type 38 carbine, 99 and a type I. I doubt that I will ever take to the range but I have ammo for them in case I feel lucky some day.

A last ditch rifle I would not think about putting rounds through it.
RTO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:09 AM   #11
FireEater

If the description and pics match correctly in that ad then yes, it is a "last ditch" model made in '44 or '45.

10 Bears, did you type that correctly? You said in the '50s they were $100+, but now they are worth $10.00. Did you mean a four digit number without a decimal? That would be great! It does have a chromed barrel.

RTO, would you not put rounds through a last ditch version because of its value or because of fear of an exploding gun?
Old 10-18-2013, 09:44 AM   #12
10 Bears
Ron North's Jewels Champion, Flash Poker Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEater View Post
If the description and pics match correctly in that ad then yes, it is a "last ditch" model made in '44 or '45.

10 Bears, did you type that correctly? You said in the '50s they were $100+, but now they are worth $10.00. Did you mean a four digit number without a decimal? That would be great! It does have a chromed barrel.

RTO, would you not put rounds through a last ditch version because of its value or because of fear of an exploding gun?
The "Last Ditch" models are nothing but wall hangers. $10.00 models.
Built late in the war out of inferior materials.

Pre war production, w/chrome lined bbls are worth a hell of a lot more.
Now are worth well over $100.00, as they were in the 50s.
10 Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:53 AM   #13
FUBAR

The bayonets are worth as much or more than the rifle anymore.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:52 AM   #14
HorseSoldier176
Retired Soldier

Eater;

If your rifle has the same style rear sight as the pic you posted, then it is what is known as a "Last Ditch" rifle, and as such is not worth as much, except to collectors, as it is unsafe to fire.

Odds are, if it is a last ditch, it is chambered for 7.7 Arisaka, which is a solid, and substantial round, but the last ditch rifles were poorly produced, under less than ideal circumstances, and about 50% will blow up when using full strength ammo. I have four LD rifles, and I load special rounds for them that are reduced by 50% from the standard load. Even so, one of them ruptured just forward of the receiver ring, blowing a chunk of steel out the bottom of the stock. Fortunately no one was injured by the explosion, but it makes one far more cautious with these.

I would not pay more that $400.00 USD for it, and perhaps even less. The Mum cartouche does add value, but only to a collector, as by the end of the war, U.S. Army policy was to grind off the mum out of respect to the Emperor of Japan. So if you are looking for a collector piece, this is a good one. If you are looking for a shooter, stay away.

Of course, you could buy it, and sell it to a collector, and use what you get from them to buy a shooter.

Bruce R. Gadbois
HorseSoldier176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:58 PM   #15
FireEater

Again thanks for the feedback people!

I did purchase the rifle yesterday, but I bought it to enjoy it, whether that be as a shooter or as a quick and fair flip to a collector. You know, you find a good deal and you grab it for the decent value offered then use it or move it to somebody that it holds more value to. By no means am I a collector, I keep only shooters so if this rifle may need special care, attention, and ammunition to fire safely it needs to find a good new home. Sucks about the ammo especially, I've never owned a gun that I haven't shot at least once, but I don't want to risk blowing this one up. FWIW, until some of the recent warnings I read here, I was ready to go shoot it, it looks solid to my untrained eye anyway.

There was a bit more rust/pitting on it than I first thought. It doesn't look too bad, not heavy concentrations anywhere and none very deep. I got close-up pics of it all if anyone cares to see. All the numbers on the gun match, but the number on the bayonet is different.

I took a bunch of pics, but I couldn't get a clear shot of the bore. Any advice? If I can get a clear pic, you'd be able to see it is chromed and sharp. Here's a few for now: