Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Handguns
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register

Old 09-28-2011, 04:09 AM   #1
5knives
KaBoom Kontrol Modulator

gun Owners of "The Judge" ...

Now, this is hearsay from another forum, I CANNOT verify the accuraccy of what follows.

Several people are reporting that .45 acp can be fired safely in the Judge revolvers, with accuraccy no worse than the 45 Colt.

The trick is to use the FULL MOON clips that earlier Taurus .45acp revolvers used, and which clips are still available from Taurus.

If valid it would certainly expand the utility of the Judge.

One respondant, called Tarus Customer service who said rhe acp could NOT be fired in the Judge, but the guy admitted he wasn't sure the CS guy understood the use of the clips.

A couple other guys said that was nice but they's been doing it with no problems.

The Clips would be the Stellar Clips. M455 clips, order number #5-0455
Price is $9.00 (apparently for 5 clips..? .)

Taurus C.S is (305) 624-1115

IMHO, if this works w/o probs, it doubles the desireability of a Judge.

Anyone trying it ... 1. be careful and 2. Let us know how it works out!

I put this in General to get widest exposure, but if the Mods want to move it elsewhere, I certainly agree.

Regards,
5knives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 06:50 AM   #2
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

You should be able to. But why?

Just load it with 255 grain bullets and knock your target off of it's feet. You could go with a lighter bullet at a higher velocity but I like big bullets.

You could carry some clips with you in case you ran out of ammo and couldn't find .45 Long Colt.

Only problem I could see is if the Taurus diameter and hole spacing wasn't the same as the Judge. If it fits, it should work.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:41 AM   #3
5knives
KaBoom Kontrol Modulator

Why?

Cost and convenience. Most gun owners do not reload, and .45 Colt in modern loadings is right up there with .44 Mag. in cost. .45 acp is Easy to find, not so .45 Colt.

Consider the .45 acp owner and occasional shooter who really would like a carry gun suitable for snakes on his fishing and hunting/camping trips. He knows that ther 45 acp shot cartriages suck, weak load, bad patterns and won't cycle the action. A 410/45acp combo gives him snake medicine and some defensive pistol ability, without added cost or adding another cartridge to his inventory, one that like the .410 defense suitable loads, may be difficult to find locally.

Or so it seems to me.

JMHO as always. OMMV.

IIRC we have one or two Judge owners on the , I was hoping we'd get some of their thoughts on the matter.

Regards,
Old 09-28-2011, 10:53 AM   #4
Moon
IncogNegro
Gyroball Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Bin Laden Liquors Champion, Crab Volleyball Champion, Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Ms Pacman Champion

I thought the Judge was a neat animal when it first came out. I had planned on purchasing one, but the price tag dwarfs the utility of the firearm for me. If it was a $300 piece, I would probably own one. That being said, my aunt has one, and she likes it. Sorry I have nothing credible to add to the post

Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:11 AM   #5
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

I was really hot on getting a Judge for a while. But they weren't available even to a FFL for quite a while. They were a high demand item.

Then I read about the ballistics that it produced and I became less than thrilled.

So I decided I'll stick to my .45 Long Colts and .44 S&W Magnum.

Then lastly, I never kill snakes. I leave them be. They serve a purpose in the balance of nature. If I had a hen house and snakes were getting in and killing my chickens then I would defend my property. Same with any other livestock if the snakes were a threat.

I know. Many people feel different on that subject. I just thought I'd throw in my view.
Pogo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:16 AM   #6
Brightblade
Paladin

I'll look into this, My father has a judge and a .45 acp so he may be interested in this. If we test it out I'll let you know.

Dads going to be here friday night to see his new grandson so I'll talk to him then.
Brightblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:23 AM   #7
Gus

I see no reason this would not work safely FWIW

We have a veterinarian with a female assistant that have a mobile hospital, they go all over the damn place, they told my wife last time she had dealings with them they were buying a Taurus Judge for a mobile hospital gun.
Gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:27 AM   #8
Moon
IncogNegro
Gyroball Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Bin Laden Liquors Champion, Crab Volleyball Champion, Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Ms Pacman Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo View Post
Then lastly, I never kill snakes. I leave them be.
I agree with you, sort of. Venomous snakes find themselves being dispatched with extreme prejudice. One of the tractor barns used to be infested with rats and mice. All of a sudden, bull-snakes started coming around. Fast-forward a year: You couldn't buy a rat in that place with a $100 bill anymore. There are still at least 4 six-foot bullsnakes that frequent the barn. I found one of their sheds back in April. I held it up and the damn thing was longer than I am tall. Easily over 6-foot.

Me and the nephew were out there setting up a water-trough last year. We went to turn the empty trough over, and one of those huge bastards flew out from the underneath there and hauled ass towards the barn. I'm pretty sure all three of us shit our pants that afternoon. Good times !
Old 09-28-2011, 11:31 AM   #9
Rew

Seems to me if the judge will accept .45 ACP in clips, then my S&W should accept .45 Colt. It won't. Even if I cut the .45 Colt shells down to proper length, the rim's are not thick enough. The Smith will, of course, use .45 Auto Rim (AR) check the rim thickness to that of a .45 Colt. Of course .45 AR is even harder to find then .45 Colt. It's not loaded anymore and is a hand loading only type of round. I just don't see how the cylinder could be closed with .45 ACP in clips. I could always be wrong of course.
Rew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:40 AM   #10
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

The .45acp case is slightly smaller in diameter than the .45 Colt, and the barrel diameter is slightly smaller, but not a lot. .

I was wondering if that small difference in diameter of the cases would allow the clip and ammo to move enough to present some kind of problem?

Maybe I'm just looking at it too closely.
Pogo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:23 PM   #11
Sanders

Seems like there's an awfully long chamber space for the bullet to jump to the lands and grooves in the barrel when using the .45 ACP.

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 06:08 PM   #12
Moon
IncogNegro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanders View Post
Seems like there's an awfully long chamber space for the bullet to jump to the lands and grooves in the barrel when using the .45 ACP.
Hey, maybe like Weatherby freebore ?? Holy shit, maybe we're on the verge of revolver accuracy greatness !

Okay, probably not.... it sounded funnier when it went through my head. Please disregard
Old 09-28-2011, 06:11 PM   #13
5knives
KaBoom Kontrol Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanders View Post
Apparently one of the reasons for the judges lousy groups (7-8") at 7 yards, making them unsuitable for anything except close up defense.

It seems IIRC that only the people buying them for close SD work are the happiest campers with the Judge.

The new 4 #000 for 410 are supposed to be decisive fight stoppers at or under 24 feet (8 yards.) the bird-shot loads ( 6's )as with all shotguns are worthless against humans, ugly wounds but only 2-3" deep.

Regards,
Old 09-28-2011, 06:26 PM   #14
Rew

Had a guy down on the border that carried one for snake's. He missed a rather large rattler twice with .410, I'm surprised I hit it with my little Kel-Tec P-11, I was laughing so hard.
Rew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 06:29 PM   #15
Peeweester40
Who Dat?

Quote:
Then lastly, I never kill snakes. I leave them be. They serve a purpose in the balance of nature. If I had a hen house and snakes were getting in and killing my chickens then I would defend my property. Same with any other livestock if the snakes were a threat.
I don't kill snakes as a general rule. I will kill a diamondback or coral snake in the yard, but will brake in a vehicle for a corn snake or black racer in the road. If it weren't that I had bulldog that I cared about, I wouldn't even kill the rattlers and coral snakes around the yard. They have their place. Of course, I've seen neither one around in the last couple years...