Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > General Discussion Forum
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register

Old 09-17-2018, 01:35 PM   #1
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Default Guide fatally mauled by bear while helping Florida hunter in Wyoming

Quote:
Guide Mark Uptain, 37, and his client Corey Chubon came back to the site of an elk kill Friday morning in the Teton Wilderness. Chubon, who was bow hunting, shot the elk Thursday, but he and Uptain were unable to find the animal at the time.

The pair located the carcass and prepared to remove it when they were charged by two bears, according to authorities.

Chubon was able to escape and grab his pistol, online news site Buckrail reports, but wasn’t able to safely fire at the bear who was at that time on top of Uptain. Chubon told authorities he threw the gun to Uptain before fleeing the scene to call for help.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ng/1326975002/
Chubon just cut and run. He should have attempted to save the guide - friggin coward trophy hunter.

This is a case that bear spray would be much more effective. He could have used bear spray. There is no danger of killing a hunting partner with it. And the bear would have defintely discontinued the mauling and run off.
Old 09-17-2018, 01:37 PM   #2
baboon
slug

Quote:
Chubon told authorities he threw the gun to Uptain before fleeing the scene to call for help.
Wonder if he threw like a little girl?
baboon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 01:58 PM   #3
slug

Was the guide wearing tennis shoes?...
44044 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 06:29 PM   #4
4thIDvet
slug

Sargent to his platoon Vietnam Hamburger Hill.
"I am not asking you to fire your weapon I am not asking you to kill anyone I am just begging you to crawl up that God Damn hill along side me. "
Old 09-17-2018, 06:47 PM   #5
A.J.
Dud

I hereby give all of you my express permission to empty your magazines if you ever see a bear tearing me up. Rather die to a bullet than a bear.
A.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 09:28 AM   #6
Angry White Trash
slug

What a chump ass bitch to leave him. "I'll go get help and I'll be right back". Yeah, ok, that sounds great.....I'll box with this bear for a while... while you go get help... take your time... maybe stop somewhere nice for lunch before you contact a ranger.

Friggin jack ass.
Angry White Trash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 10:03 AM   #7
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry White Trash View Post
What a chump ass bitch to leave him. "I'll go get help and I'll be right back". Yeah, ok, that sounds great.....I'll box with this bear for a while... while you go get help... take your time... maybe stop somewhere nice for lunch before you contact a ranger.

Friggin jack ass.
Typical of wealthy trophy hunters. They want the head to hang on the wall in their den.
Pogo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 10:31 AM   #8
Sanders

The guide should have shot him in the knee.

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 11:17 AM   #9
RetVet
Statistical Error

He should have taken a shot. It's not like he couldn't have aimed somewhere not critical to the guide if he accidentally hit him. The shot alone may have been enough to distract the bear long enough to get a better shot.

Then again, the coward was probably scared the bear could turn on him. Yeah, go run for help LOSER.

The Easy Company commander during an artillery barrage:
Quote:
"First Sergeant Lipton, you get things in order here. I'm going to go for ...... help."
Old 09-18-2018, 11:23 AM   #10
Sanders

I have to think about old Sam Foster - one of the last professional bear hunters in southern Arizona, if not the last. He carried a Ruger Single Six in .22 LR, and never anything bigger. He'd crawl into a bear cave with that pistol and shoot a bear with it.

Dang cancer got him instead of a bear, though.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:52 PM   #11
Sanders

This story has a better ending...quite a fight, too.

Quote:
Man Stops New Mexico Bear Attack with a Glock 10mm

On morning of 25 July, 2018, Bridger Petrini was keeping his dogs in shape for the upcoming bear season in New Mexico, near the Colorado border.

Petrini purchased his professional guide service eight years ago, from his father, who started it in 1985. The bear season would open in less than three weeks, and the dogs had to be in shape for it. He had made some important appointments in Raton, the nearest town, for the afternoon.

He was within a quarter mile of the house, when the dogs unexpectedly found a bear and took off. He and the dogs were so close to the house, his 10 year old son and 13 year old daughter saw and heard the dogs and bear run by.

Bridger's 10 year old son called and asked if he could come with his father to get the dogs. Bridger told him to run the quarter mile to where Bridger was at. They started after the dogs and bear in a Kawasaki Mule.

A little later, his wife Janelle called. Bridger's sister was visiting. She had never seen a bear in the wild. His wife suggested he come back and pick his sister up. Bridger told her he could not do so. He had to get the dogs off the bear and back to the house, so he could make his appointments.

He said they could follow in his Toyota Tacoma hunting rig and catch up, and they might be able to see the bear. Bridger's sister, his wife Janelle, the Petrini's 13 year old daughter, and their other two small children piled into the pickup and started after Bridger, his son, the dogs and the bear.

The mesa is not very large. The temperature, even at 6500 feet, was in the upper 80's. The bear and dogs heated up and slowed down quickly. They were fighting on a little bench, right under the rimrock. It was strewn with refrigerator sized boulders, with some cedar trees, good sized for the area, but too small for a bear to climb.

Complacency is the enemy of everyone who works in dangerous situations. People do things hundreds of times. They start taking shortcuts. Bridger normally carries a Glock 20 in a Galco holster, when he is hunting bears with clients.

This morning, he is not hunting bears. He has no desire to shoot this bear. There is no client with him. He has to get the dogs off the bear so he can make his appointments in town. He has taken dogs off of bears and mountain lions hundreds of times before.

His wife and family have caught up with him. He tells Janelle to park the vehicles in a little draw, while he goes up and calls off the dogs. He has been doing this for 19 years.

As an after thought, he takes the Glock 20 10mm semi-automatic pistol from his vehicle and shoves it in his waist band behind his cowboy belt. It is loaded with 175 grain Hornady Critical Duty FlexLock loads. The magazine only has 10-12 rounds in it. A few months earlier, he had heard the theory of "spring set". He decided not to keep the magazine fully loaded.
https://gunwatch.blogspot.com/2018/0...tack-with.html
Old 09-18-2018, 02:42 PM   #12
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Good ending. I think he might have been better served with bear spray. He had plenty of time and he could have turned the bear before it got to him with spray.
Pogo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 03:04 PM   #13
4thIDvet
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetVet View Post

The Easy Company commander during an artillery barrage
"First Sergeant Lipton, you get things in order here. I'm going to go for ...... help."
Ah their out their RetVet we had big tough sergeants like that. 6 feet tall shaved heads lifers. Hide under the C.O.s bunk when the shit hit the fan.
"Get em boys I will run things from here."
WTF ain't you gonna come their in the damn wire?
Then their was Sgt. Fitzpatrick. Stand up and walk around behind us encouraging everyone while the sheet was literally flying.
'You girls want to write your mommies tell how yah hid today?"
4thIDvet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 03:10 PM   #14
500grains
Soldier of Allah

ant

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
I hereby give all of you my express permission to empty your magazines if you ever see a bear tearing me up. Rather die to a bullet than a bear.
That is interesting. The track record of trackers shooting animals off of clients and professional hunters in Africa is quite poor. Half the time they shoot the human. Getting shot by a 458 Lott is actually worse than getting mauled by a leopard. It is also worse than getting pummeled by a cape buff. But about on par with getting squashed by an elephant.
Old 09-18-2018, 03:46 PM   #15
baboon
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500grains View Post
That is interesting. The track record of trackers shooting animals off of clients and professional hunters in Africa is quite poor. Half the time they shoot the human. Getting shot by a 458 Lott is actually worse than getting mauled by a leopard. It is also worse than getting pummeled by a cape buff. But about on par with getting squashed by an elephant.
I knew a P.H. that was mauled by a leopard, his tracker died trying to get the leopard off him. That P.H. was pretty gimped up from that leopard, but alive.
baboon is online now   Reply With Quote