Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Outdoor Sports & Activities > Hunting
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2017, 12:53 PM   #1
Sanders

Default Where the deer and the antelope play!

Well, I tried something different this year. I got my draw applications in just under the wire (22 March deadline) for deer and antelope.

I put in for units closer to home, so I might have a chance to do some scouting during the summer and early fall instead of driving 5 hours to a huge area I know little about.

The deer application is for the unit I cut wood in. The best way for me to call the deer in is to fire up a chainsaw. They aren't bothered by the chainsaw cutting wood. They walk right up to watch what's going on.

I'm not quite sure what will happen with the antelope draw, since I've never put in for it before. The way it works is that you choose an area, and if you are drawn, Game and Fish will assign a ranch to hunt on. Then, you are only allowed to scout for 2 days prior to the hunt, which lasts only 3 days. I could drive through the public right-of-ways and scout that way to get a good idea where they hang out, though.

Also, all hunting licenses and permits are 50 percent off in New Mexico this year for Veterans and active duty military.

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 12:57 PM   #2
10 Bears
Ron North's Jewels Champion, Flash Poker Champion

Wishing you success filling both tags.

The last Antelope meat I brought home, and fried, drove everyone out of the house.
I just couldn't understand their attitude, so I ate it all.
10 Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:46 AM   #3
Konstantin

I hope you draw for both. I've seen some real nice deer in that area. Turkeys too.

When I was cutting meat I used to hate doing pronghorn. The season is late summer/early fall and some people just don't get that their meat needs to be cooled right away. They shoot one in the morning and leave it hanging while their buddies hunt, the meat goes bad quick.

Another thing I never liked about range goat is that their hair is brittle and breaks off in the meat if you're not careful skinning it.
Konstantin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:58 PM   #4
Sanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konstantin View Post
I hope you draw for both. I've seen some real nice deer in that area. Turkeys too.

When I was cutting meat I used to hate doing pronghorn. The season is late summer/early fall and some people just don't get that their meat needs to be cooled right away. They shoot one in the morning and leave it hanging while their buddies hunt, the meat goes bad quick.

Another thing I never liked about range goat is that their hair is brittle and breaks off in the meat if you're not careful skinning it.
Good to know about the goats. I never hunted them, but I sure see a lot of them when I drive the eastern half of the state. With the 3 choices I made, they pretty much cover most of those areas. Hopefully, I'll get one of them.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:44 PM   #5
Sanders

I found out, today, that I got drawn for the deer hunt, but not for the antelope.

Now, I just hope the woodcutting is in the area I want to hunt. Even if it isn't, I have a good idea where to find them. The Game and Fish only let out 30 tags for the unit I got drawn for, so it was pretty high odds to beat.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:09 AM   #6
Konstantin

That is a hard place to get drawn for. Rifle? Bow? Muzzleloader? I've been all over those mountains, probably not gonna be an easy hunt. I've seen some real nice deer come outta that area. Picked up some monster sheds when I was a kid. I wish I still had the skull I found up near Capilla Peak, if you just saw the base of the antlers you'd swear it was an elk. You taking horses?
Old 04-13-2017, 10:41 AM   #7
Sanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konstantin View Post
That is a hard place to get drawn for. Rifle? Bow? Muzzleloader? I've been all over those mountains, probably not gonna be an easy hunt. I've seen some real nice deer come outta that area. Picked up some monster sheds when I was a kid. I wish I still had the skull I found up near Capilla Peak, if you just saw the base of the antlers you'd swear it was an elk. You taking horses?
I got drawn for rifle. The area I plan to hunt is where I was cutting wood SW of Manzano. Every time I went out there, I saw several bucks - some in the 6-8 point range. They weren't in the least spooked by woodcutters, either. They would just stand there and watch. As for horses, I don't have any, anymore.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:54 AM   #8
Konstantin

Is that unit 14? I'm not sure how they manage that area. Is there a certain area you can hunt, or can you hunt the whole unit? I had a few deer show up a couple weeks ago here at the house while I was working on some equipment. They just stood around and watched me work until the puppy saw them. Last fall when I was carrying a rifle around in the trees they were real spooky, saw deer almost every time out, just couldn't jet a shot. I'm not much of a hunter though.
Old 04-13-2017, 02:20 PM   #9
Sanders

The Sandia Ranger District is archery only, but anything outside that is any legal firearm.

Here's a map of Unit 14 - I think your place is in it, too.

http://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/wp-c...highres-14.pdf
Old 04-13-2017, 03:05 PM   #10
Konstantin

Yeah. I'm in 14. I thought you may be far enough south to be in 18. I was just curious about where you can hunt because I've only known of hunting being allowed in the Sandias or landowner tags for 14 for a while. When I was a kid a lot of locals hunted that area. My high school ag teacher was from Torreon and pulled some nice deer off those mountains.
Old 04-13-2017, 03:14 PM   #11
Sanders

I'm thinking I'll hunt South of FR253 on the map at the link, on Forest Service land.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...rdb5407583.pdf
Old 04-13-2017, 03:38 PM   #12
Konstantin

OK. I see now. It's been a few years since I've been back in there. Now you got me wanting to take a ride up that way. I'm supposed to go work on a Barko down in Socorro tomorrow. Now I'm hoping the parts don't come in and I can take a ride. Was already planning on stopping in Manzano to drown a couple of worms on the way home. Cruising Forest service roads sounds way more fun than fixing an air conditioner.
Old 04-13-2017, 03:59 PM   #13
Sanders

A couple weeks ago, the gate was closed across the FR 253, even though the signs said it was open. It should be open by now, though.

Looks like Manzano was stocked on 3-15 a few weeks ago with 300 trout.

I'd go goof off with you, but work has me swamped right now. Business is good, at the moment.
Old 04-14-2017, 09:21 AM   #14
Konstantin

Well the FedEx guy fucked me again. Left a door tag on my gate at 8:00 last night. Guess he just didn't want to drive up the road that late. On my way to Socorro now can't put the machine back together, but gotta have it moved by tomorrow. Can't work that part of the river from April 15 until September, gotta give the birds privacy so they can procreate.

At least I'll be done quick, maybe have some trout for supper tonight. My sister has been up to Manzano a few times the last couple of months and caught her limit of decent size fish. My buddy that's breaking the equipment down in Socorro has pulled some nice catfish from the Rio Grande.

One of these days when you're out 4wheeling I'd like to follow you around, bought a Landcruiser a couple weeks ago and been wanting to cruise some trails.
Old 04-15-2017, 07:58 AM   #15
Sanders

Heck, I bet you could show me some trails! I just put a winch on the Xterra, so I can get into all kinds of stupid situations, now.