Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Outdoor Sports & Activities > Hunting
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2011, 09:19 PM   #1
Desert Rat
Junior Woodchuck

Default The First Deer

Regardless if you still hunt or not, I reckon every guy remembers his first deer...probably better than his first kiss.

What was your first? (deer)
Desert Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:24 PM   #2
Rick in NY
Resident Nuisance

Two year old doe, 50 yards, double lung shot. She made it about 20 yards and fell over.

I was 17, and used an old Ithaca single-shot 20 ga.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:17 PM   #3
10 Bears
Ron North's Jewels Champion, Flash Poker Champion

Nine or ten years old, before I lost my dad.
Harvested it with a .22, in the right eye.
That's where he told me to shoot it, so I did.
Don't remember if it was a doe or antlerless buck.
But it didn't have horns.

Thinking of the g'son I'm raising, how different the world has become.
10 Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:42 PM   #4
Desert Rat
Junior Woodchuck

Shucks, compared to you guys I was an old timer before my first deer hunt took place.

Out in the Sacramento Mtns of New Mexico where I hunted there was a steep almost barren mtn that nobody messed with...for good reason. I got the idiot notion in my head this was where all the mule deer were hiding. I was 15 and the kid with me was 14. We started up this mountain and soon realized we were scaling the Matterhorn.

After MUCH clawing and gasping and near heart attacks we reached the crest...only it wasn't the crest. The damn thing curved around a bit and then rose ANOTHER couple hundred feet with nothing on top... but I suspect two open graves with our names on them.

We didn't have the strength to go on and started down the middle this roughly "U" shaped mtn. At least now there were some trees and brush where something could have hidden.

Half way down we spooked a doe and fawn. They started bouncing up the side of the main peak. Both of us mighty hunters started fumbling and trying to find our asses and our rifles.

Just to give you idea how steep this mountain from hell was....the deer had to stop and rest part way up. Mighty Rat shot the doe and my pistollero shot the fawn. I had borrowed Savage 99 in 300 Savage. Don't remember what the hell he had.

We field dressed them and somehow packed their asses back down and off to our camp. Not very impressive kills by any standard and memorable more for the deadly effort of the hunt than the results.

Regardless, me and my great doe went home and my Pa showed his butchering skills. We et the poor deer and I felt like I'd really brought home the bacon.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:51 AM   #5
baboon
slug

My very first whitetail kill was finishing off what a car started. Badly mangled & suffering doe, I cut it's throat with my Buck knife. I sat there for a good while wondering why it had to be.
baboon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:24 AM   #6
Desert Rat
Junior Woodchuck

The waste of deer kilt by cars across the land is appalling for sure, Boon. Hell of a waste of good meat.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:37 AM   #7
baboon
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Rat View Post
The waste of deer kilt by cars across the land is appalling for sure, Boon. Hell of a waste of good meat.
I had a buddy back home who worked & a refinery graveyard shift. He ruined a truck a year hitting deer.
baboon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:40 AM   #8
Sanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Rat View Post
In Arizona, you can salvage the meat - just have to file a police report and report it to Game and Fish.

Had a friend who got lots of deer that way. He'd listen to the police scanner and when he heard someone hit a deer, he went out to see if he could get some. He rarely got an entire animal, but usually at least got some edible portions.

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote