Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Gunsmithing
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register

Old 04-27-2006, 02:53 PM   #1
scheistermeister
Throbbing Member

Default Lathe/Mill questions...

i personally dont know anything about them. id love to know more, but im more of the hands on type. i was wondering if i was to get one is it something i would be able to fumble around with and sorta teach myself through playing with it and asking questions online? or would buying one with no experience be amazingly retarded and i should stay away before i loose some fingers?
Old 04-27-2006, 03:04 PM   #2
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Your best bet would be to enroll in a course at a local vocational tech school in my opinion if you are just wanting to learn the basics so that you can do a few things of your own.
Old 04-27-2006, 03:39 PM   #3
scheistermeister
Throbbing Member

the thing with that though is that it would conflict with my other classes im taking.
scheistermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 03:50 PM   #4
pistol-packin-wifey
Southern Gun Girl

from seeing the stuff cheezy works with at gunschool......i would not waste the money on buying one til you are trained to use it.

i don't think you can "fumble" around and figure out something like that without the good possiblity of losing a limb!!

did you buy a vise yet?
Old 04-27-2006, 03:55 PM   #5
scheistermeister
Throbbing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistol-packin-wifey
from seeing the stuff cheezy works with at gunschool......i would not waste the money on buying one til you are trained to use it.

i don't think you can "fumble" around and figure out something like that without the good possiblity of losing a limb!!

did you buy a vise yet?
well, i taught myself everything i know about computers without the internet. ive rebuilt a motor, suspension and other stuff with no prior experience or someone showing me how. im usually pretty good at figuring things out.

as for the vise, nope, still havent gotten one. Cephus 's idea of using a C-clamp has worked well for me. i have NEEDED one yet and have been able to improvise so i figure i shouldnt spend money on that now... plus i like to buy the expensive stuff first!
Old 04-27-2006, 05:15 PM   #6
dabomb
Junior Mints

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheistermeister
would buying one with no experience be amazingly retarded?
Heck no it wouldn't be retarded. While a bit of formal training would certainly be a good thing, very few of the gunsmiths that I've ever known (both hobbyists and professionals) had any formal machinists training whatsoever.

A lathe, in its basic use, is actually a pretty simple tool to operate. There are lots of little "tricks" to be learned regarding set-ups, cutters, speeds-n-feeds, etc., but these techniques are usually best picked up, through trial-and-error, by just "doin' it".

The mill is a slightly more difficult tool to learn, primarily because the "set-up" is usually a bit more complicated and the speeds-n-feeds are a bit more critical, but, hey, if he'd had one, even a caveman could have done it.

There are hundreds of books and dozens of web-sites that will tell you everything (and more) about machining metal than you would ever really need to know. There are also lots of machining and hobby gunsmithing forums with scads of knowledgable folks that are more than happy to help out a novice.

There are numerous mini-lathes and mini-mills available today which are an excellent way to learn the "basics" of working metal without having to outlay huge sums of money or dedicate large amounts of space.

Dangerous? Well, so's driving a car. I've been running a lathe and a mill, of one sort or another, for nearly twenty years (all self-taught), and I still have all ten fingers.

Take a run over to HomeGunsmith.com and have a look around. Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions, but don't tell 'em that I sent ya.

All good . . . Doug . . .

But what about all of 'em that are already here?

3. See #2 above.
dabomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 06:16 PM   #7
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Doug,

I don't even have a metal lathe. But, I've fitted two FAL barrels to new actions using my wood lathe. I made jigs that would fit my face plate on my wood lathe and for the live center, and cut the shoulder down so that I could tighten the barrel down until the sights pointed straight up. And I got them to fit perfectly.

I'm starting to sound like Cephus now. He's quite the improviser.
Pogo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 06:26 PM   #8
Cephus
The OLD COOT one and only

Hell I have to imprevise if I want anything !!! LOL
As long as it works ,try this site Schmister and see if ya think it's for you it has alot of other places ya can go and check it out !!

http://www.varmintal.com/alath.htm#Milling_Attachment

I had a friend that had a machine shop that got me started back in High school !!!
THAT IS BLOOD

Cephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 08:45 PM   #9
scheistermeister
Throbbing Member

so what would be better for my purpose (anything i want to do to a gun and making smaller parts for cars [brackets, ect.]). a mini-lathe or a regular lathe?
Old 04-28-2006, 01:04 AM   #10
Cephus
The OLD COOT one and only

it sounds to me like ya want a lathe and a milling machine .
Lathe for gun work !!
Mill for small parts making !!
With a lathe ya want something that has a spindle hole at least 3/4 and an 1"
would be better !! Centers should be 24" or more !! That should do for most gun work !!!
Cephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 05:07 AM   #11
scheistermeister
Throbbing Member

thanks for the info! ill have to put that on the list of things to get when i get the chance!
Old 04-28-2006, 05:09 AM   #12
pistol-packin-wifey
Southern Gun Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheistermeister
well, i taught myself everything i know about computers without the internet. ive rebuilt a motor, suspension and other stuff with no prior experience or someone showing me how. im usually pretty good at figuring things out.

as for the vise, nope, still havent gotten one. Cephus 's idea of using a C-clamp has worked well for me. i have NEEDED one yet and have been able to improvise so i figure i shouldnt spend money on that now... plus i like to buy the expensive stuff first!
i was just messin with you about the vise!!!

wow.....from what others said i guess you could teach yourself.....but those machines bite! be careful
pistol-packin-wifey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 05:19 AM   #13
scheistermeister
Throbbing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistol-packin-wifey
wow.....from what others said i guess you could teach yourself.....but those machines bite! be careful
that they do... one thing ive always been parinoid with around saws and all my uncles wood working equipment was loosing a finger. saws still creep me out... but that hasnt stopped me from putting a circular saw blade on a highspead grinder before! now that thing looked like a wicked finger eater! needless to saw after about 3 minutes of using it i realized how retarded i was for even thinking about it and stopped.
Old 04-28-2006, 05:20 AM   #14
pistol-packin-wifey
Southern Gun Girl

:lol you crazy!
pistol-packin-wifey is offline   Reply With Quote