Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > General Discussion Forum
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2020, 03:11 AM   #1
Diesel 88888888
slug

Chinese When An EMP Hits; Solar Or Otherwise...A Thought!

Firstly, I think that everyone here understands the concept of power going 'under' when an EMP hits...now, it has occurred to me that virtually all wristwatches and clocks these days are electric (battery) powered; so,

What will an EMP do to your battery powered & maintained wristwatch?

Duty is Action; Fight Or Die! Fight Or I'll Kill You Myself!
Diesel 88888888 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 04:26 AM   #2
slug

My watches all wind up...
44044 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 05:42 AM   #3
bill3542

My guess would be the 5-7 dollar watches from wally world without electronics would probably survive it.

I keep spare electronic parts shielded for my 1976 Dodge Power Wagon because I'm not sure even the early electronic stuff would survive it.

I also keep a earlier points and condenser distributor handy. the trucks old school with no emissions, carb and mechanical fuel pump you could just pull the electronic distributor, slap a points and condenser distributor in it and be back on the road in a few minutes.
bill3542 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 07:41 AM   #4
aviator
unum de multis

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44044 View Post
same here. I hate batteries dying on me. I shake them for a few seconds and they self-wind up.
Old 05-24-2020, 08:27 AM   #5
JD Miller
Fake Member

We're all gonna DIE !

Old 05-24-2020, 09:01 AM   #6
Sanders

I live where the sun shines. I don't need a watch to tell time.

As for transportation, I still have my saddles and tack. There will be plenty of abandoned horses around for me to choose from.

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 11:16 AM   #7
CDawg
slug

Proximity and intensity are important. Barriers and barrier material also matter. Lots of variables. Basically, with enough intensity and lack of protection, anything electronic can be fried, but all probably won't. Chip driven gear is extremely vulnerable. ...modern cars, communication gear, computers, power grids, etc. Worse case ...life as we now know it would be gone for quite some time. ...but you may still be able to tell time. ...maybe. It would be a sad day, with lots of sad days to follow.

A Chief Petty Officer shall not drink. However, if he should drink he shall not get drunk. If he should get drunk, he shall not stagger. And if he should stagger, he shall not fall. And if he should fall, he will fall in such a manner as to cover up his rank so that passersby will think he is an officer.
CDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 11:17 AM   #8
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanders View Post
I live where the sun shines. I don't need a watch to tell time.

As for transportation, I still have my saddles and tack. There will be plenty of abandoned horses around for me to choose from.

I haven’t had a horse in years, but I will

never get rid of my saddle and tack either...

And I hope I never need them again either
44044 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 11:54 AM   #9
Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44044 View Post
Mine too.
Enforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 12:02 PM   #10
gunkgy

My 1860 and some what newer pocket watches still work. I'll use those.
Old 05-24-2020, 12:27 PM   #11
Diesel 88888888
slug

Dog

Good morning everyone...thanks for the answers...they are pretty much what I was thinking...since I haven't owned or worn a watch in years and can't find my old Swiss Army watch...depending as I do on the i-Phone, computers and TV for time keeping. The newest car I have is a 1984 300SD MB...and an even older, 1978, 300D...my first MB and she still runs like a top though most of the electronics in it are dead...but, there she sits, back up.

I genuinely like horses...have owned some...learned to ride bareback in Arkansas when it was possible to sneak up on the neighbors horses, grab some main and leap, literally, on...the only guidance being slaps to the cheeks...and off we would go; they didn't care, just had a big piece of land and used it to dump horses on...years later I learned to ride with a Western saddle and then later with a McClellan and attached US Army equipment...which I found to be pretty well designed and tough...but, BUT, although I 'believe' I could mount a properly saddled horse...I don't have the confidence to ride one...well maybe, if it wasn't too active and not as tall as my last horse; Scotty, 16 1/2 hands, American Saddle Bred & Thoroughbred cross...a big tough horse that never saw a deer trail that it couldn't take...when I got him/it he came with a hackamore that the previous owner had used exclusively...but I hadn't raised/trained, etc., the horse and one day he ran away with me...four times around a 1/2 mile track at the Burbank Stables next to Griffith Park in LA, CA...after that I bought a Quick bit with a roller and it never happened again...and invested in a quality Western saddle...best exercise equipment I ever owned...that horse made you work to enjoy his company and did I mention that we were bareback when he ran away? He quit running when he damn sure wanted to and I spent the next several hours walking him around that track to cool and dry off...never happened again...but! One of the photographs my mom kept from my youth was taken when I was about 5 on the back of one of my grandfather's big Belgium team horses (Blue & Ribbon...so named for winning at the county fair...best of class). Haven't been on a horse since 1980 though, an Appaloosa show quality roping pony owned by old Glenn Maddox in Post Falls, ID...however, I don't know how to weigh a roping pony and only got on that one time...just have to depend on 'shanks mare' as long as such things hold up.

So, before all this as you can imagine, I'm thinking about finding another wind up wristwatch, maybe a Swiss Army version like the last...and I like the wrist shake wind up...if they can still be found. (We're all gonna die and I simply want to know what time it is when that happens).
Old 05-24-2020, 06:22 PM   #12
500grains
Soldier of Allah

I don't wear a wristwatch. If an EMP hits, it will not be critical for me to know what time it is.
Old 05-24-2020, 08:32 PM   #13
BlackBelt

I have loosely based my EMP plans on that book about an EMP strike titled 'One Second After'.

A wind up watch is next on my list, but I want quality. A cheapie might not survive a harsh environment.
BlackBelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 09:15 PM   #14
ashhoe

My big ass grandfather clock is all wind up and has been dead money for about 25 years.
If I actually cared what time it was I'd look at it.
I'm pretty sure it's beer 0:30.
ashhoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 09:25 PM   #15
Diesel 88888888
slug

Spinz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashhoe View Post
My big ass grandfather clock is all wind up and has been dead money for about 25 years.
If I actually cared what time it was I'd look at it.
I'm pretty sure it's beer 0:30.