Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Chaplains Corner
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register

Chaplains Corner A place to discuss religion, personal problems, or to request advise from someone who will listen and provide moral support.

Old 04-21-2021, 09:51 PM   #1
klauss
Poof no eyebrows

Default I’m tired

Seems like every time we get even slightly ahead with our son, something comes along to knock us back a bit. The speech therapist believes he may have apraxia of speech and wants to significantly increase his ST sessions, from bi-weekly to twice a week. Which our insurance has a hard cap of 25 sessions a year and appeals are almost always denied. We can’t even come close to being able to afford 75 sessions a year.

When I brought up an AAC device, the rep could not even find anything on them in the policy. So not sure if any of the cost for that will be covered.

Still has most of the other issues to one extent or another.

I hate to say it, but I’m tired. It’s burning me out and it feels as there is no relief.
I’ll keep plodding along doing the best I can for him, but it sure would be great to catch a break in some way.

Sorry for the rant guys.

Heîs oiōnòs áristos, amýnesthai perì pátrēs- "There is only one omen, to fight for one's country"
klauss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 11:38 PM   #2
slug

You will find the strength Sir...

Ask where he is getting his ST if

there is any outside funding to help
44044 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 07:44 AM   #3
aviator
unum de multis

Klauss, perhaps try a different doctor or therapist. Is he autistic? There are specialized schools for autistic children, Apraxia is related to autism but today doctors have fancy names for everything and a $olution for every problem.

My youngest son had an issue when he was younger regarding speech, he was just lazy and my wife took him to every child psychologist she found, eventually he outgrew the problem and today he's a millionaire business owner, his boy is the same way, he'll talk his own little language sometimes but I have sat with him and he can talk, he's just lazy and I myself was taken to the doctor when I was four because I wasn't talking yet.

As I said, try a different doctor maybe?
Old 04-22-2021, 02:18 PM   #4
klauss
Poof no eyebrows

We had him evaluated for Autism last November, and he showed almost no signs. Although he will be re-evaluated sometime later this year.

He’s seen a developmental pediatrician, 2 different speech therapist at 2 different hospitals. They all agree he has a speech delay, only slightly disagree on the severity. The Developmental pediatrician believes he has the verbal expressive speech ability of a 4-6 month old( as of December) and both the ST’s place him a little better at 7-9 months currently.

He also has CVI, at high level phase 2 or low phase 3 depending on which doctors you ask. 1 places him at high 2, other low 3. Kids with CVI are often misdiagnosed with autism, especially if they are nonverbal.

It’s entirely possible that his CVI is hurting his speech development, but it is difficult to say for sure.

In combination with his other health issues ( fortunately not life threatening) is a big, complicated jumbled mess. I don’t think we can get it figured out anytime soon sadly.
Old 04-22-2021, 05:19 PM   #5
aviator
unum de multis

Can he understand a verbal command when you guys talk to him? He may just be a slow talker. CVI is often misdiagnosed, several symptoms must be present before making a diagnosis. But yes, CVI may hurt his speech function.

Klauss I wish you guys the best of luck on this, it's a tough situation. Hopefully things will get better as he grows.
aviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 07:45 PM   #6
klauss
Poof no eyebrows

This is how he looks at almost all videos and educational materials. One of the TVI’s calls it an eccentric viewing point.( hope picture works lol)

His receptive speech is almost normal, we can ask him to help with simple chores( picking up toys, throw ball for dog, etc). He has had the CVI range performed several times, by different staff and all but the first one indicated CVI. The first range was performed in the wrong environment which invalidated the results.

Thanks for the well wishes guys. It’s stressful but I’m sure in the long run he will be fine I just need to do everything I can to help him either get better or adapt to his limitations as best as possible.

Last edited by klauss; 04-22-2021 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Attempt to add picture.
Old 04-23-2021, 09:32 AM   #7
ColonelKorn
High Priest of Honkydom

The one person I have known with some sort of speech delay did not speak intelligibly until she was 9 years old. She is of above normal intelligence, but turned out to be bipolar.