Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Outdoor Sports & Activities > Hunting
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2017, 01:13 AM   #1
Bluntforce
slug

Question FMJ Hunting

Does anyone know when most states decided to outlaw full metal jackets for hunting?

As has been pointed out in other threads through and throughs happen to drain blood fast. Also there must have been feedback to game wardens/legislators to come to the decision.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:06 AM   #2
Sanders

It's been that way in Colorado, Arizona, and New Mexico at least since I was a kid. I don't know about other states.

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 02:32 PM   #3
Bluntforce
slug

Spinz

I recall a member said he had hunted with FMJs. Everything is legal until our betters decide to fine or imprison us for previously unregulated behavior. A lot of illegal things should be. Useless laws are fast approaching the majority though.

I honestly wonder if a FMJ .30 caliber heavy bullet used on deer sized game is less humane than 55 grain .223/5.56 on the same animal.

I see many button bucks (no go) and does with fawns (you can harvest them if you want) and leave them alone. I also have plenty of legal (and heavy) ammo. I just wonder about the progression of our "betters" thought process. 1934 they figured we needed long barrels, couldn't have suppressors and ammo wasting switches. 1968 they figured we shouldn't use the post office for firearms for their own good. 1986 they decided we should wear out what F/As were out there and around the same time they became so concerned about lead jumping out of its resting place and killing everything.

In the context of our top down education I was wondering when they decided all hunters needed a dunce cap because they can't put a bullet into a vital area on a deer but somehow threaten the social order with fully automatic sawed off suppressed shotguns.
Bluntforce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 04:04 PM   #4
REDOAK
Intelligent Posterior

IIRC, the fmj's don't kill the animal quick enough. They slowly bleed out and probably travel a long distance. That all depends on where the animal is hit since the same thing can happen with soft points.

Ohio only allows shotgun slugs and larger bore handguns during deer gun season.
REDOAK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 04:44 PM   #5
Bluntforce
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDOAK View Post
IIRC, the fmj's don't kill the animal quick enough. They slowly bleed out and probably travel a long distance. That all depends on where the animal is hit since the same thing can happen with soft points.

Ohio only allows shotgun slugs and larger bore handguns during deer gun season.
That's a very good idea, they allow 55 grain .223 here.
Bluntforce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 05:46 PM   #6
Sanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluntforce View Post
That's a very good idea, they allow 55 grain .223 here.
A some states in the West did not allow .223 for deer sized and larger animals, but I think it has changed.
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 11:10 AM   #7
Dannyboy

I have been gone from my home state of Louisiana for at least a decade so I don't know if they still allow hunting with FMJ cartridges. But for several years I hunted and easily took down deer with my Garand, 1903A3 Springfield, M1 carbine, Spanish Mauser & Chinese SKS using mil-surp ammo. Never lost a deer or had one run off...but my Dad taught me to never take a shot unless I was danged sure of it.
Dannyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 10:11 PM   #8
Stalky

Shot placement.Lot of game was harvested with 03's in the day with fmj. A nation of riflemen.
Stalky is offline   Reply With Quote