Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Ammunition and Reloading Forum
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Ammunition and Reloading Forum All about ammunition, reloading and reloading equipment

Old 05-18-2008, 07:46 PM   #1
sturniolo3609

Default Reloading 30-30 ammo

I am starting to reload for my 30-30. Have tried and really like the Hornady LeveRevolution. Now, I want to build my own.
35 years of reloading (rifle,pistol and shotgun) and now I'm stumped.
Tube magazine and sharp nosed rounds seem to be less than safe.
Has anyone used Hornaday A-max (ballistc tip) ? Any drawbacks? They appear to be very similar to the LeveRevolution tips.
Any information will be appreciated.

SOB (sweet ole Bill)
sturniolo3609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 08:32 PM   #2
5knives
KaBoom Kontrol Modulator

Howdy Mr. sturniolo3609!

Welcome aboard!

Well, can't add anything you probably don't already know, but it's a good question, so I'll try to answer in a vein that any of the newer guys will be able to follow, (I hope)

Truth is (but don't tell anybody) a sp of any shape is extremly unlikely to ignite a primer in a cartridge ahead of it in a tubular magazine. That said, it CAN and HAS happened, common sense says to not risk it.

The LeveRevolution tip is clearly too soft to do it, a psp tip is very unlikely to do it and a fmj spire point is probably asking for trouble. If it can be done, that'l be the way. Many years ago the folks trying to prove how dangerous it was (to promote the Remington "twisted" magazine) were pretty unsuccessful in making it happen.

'Thutty-Thutty' is NOT the slouch some 'experts' like to claim, in fact there have been some very impressive Bench Rest scores over the years, using custom rifles of course.

But there is a way to use your A-Max bullets, get the advantages if the more efficent bullet design, better downrange velocity, better trajectory, etc.

Started doing it about '64 myself when I starrted huntin at ranges longer than the 100 foot avg for WI..

Make your '94 or 336 a 'two shot', a sharp nose cartridge chambered and ONE more in the Magazine!

Presto!

Instead of a 200 yd gun you've now got a 250-275 yard gun, sight in is still about 2" high at 100 to get into the PB range, even with a small deer you've got an 8 inch circle to deal with so 3" up to 3 " down is your easy Point blank range.

Even a 150 gr. flat point sighted 2.5 high at 100 is only 3" or so low at 200.

Pointed bullets make it better.

ONE thing to WATCH OUT for ...

Bullets are designed and manufactured to specific performance at specific velocities.

So, using a bullet designed for 30-06 velocities at 300 yards may well fail to expand as designed (or at all) at 30-30 velocities and even 50 yards, (.308 in and .308 out) and of course 30-30 bullets designed to function at 100 yards in a 30-30 may (will) expand explosively at 50 yards in a 30-06 giving new meaning to the phrase "complete expansion'.

Placement with adequate penetration still rules, though I have met some very successful hunters who load 30-30 FP's at slightly reduced velocities in their '06's and like the resulte on whitetail at shorter ranges.

Hope my comments are of some assistance to any readers, sure we'll have some more comments and insights before long!

Regards,
5knives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 10:01 PM   #3
sturniolo3609

5 Knives,
Thanks for the fast and sensible reply/advise. I'll make up a few and hopefully try them on the range over the wekend.

SOB
sturniolo3609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 11:26 PM   #4
10 Bears
Ron North's Jewels Champion, Flash Poker Champion

Can't add a thing to 5knives post.
Well done, well said.
And I've loaded thousands of .30-30s over the years.
Allways FN, most of them cast and gas checked too.
10 Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 02:13 AM   #5
Rew

5Knives about covered it. I have used a 94 with one up the spout and one in the tube more than a couple times. Mostly with cast 165 grain speer points. I'm hoping and praying that Hornady will put the leverevolution bullets out for reloading. The .30 Winchester center fire (AKA 30-30) is a darn good round. The first smokeless powder cartridge in the US, it was a barn burner back in the day. Still will take any thing on 4 or 2 legs on this continent. Welcome to the
Rew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 08:49 AM   #6
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

I'll just add to it by saying I mostly shoot cast round nose with a gas check in 30/30. Still a dandy cartridge. And welcome to the Bunker sturniolo3609.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:15 PM   #7
b00mer

I LOADED A CAST 184 GRAIN BULLET FOR A MARLIN 30-30 Don't recall what powder but I think it was bluedot, It was extremely accurate and deadly. it dropped 6 hogs in one day. the 30-30 was and still is an effective round if used properly
b00mer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 11:55 AM   #8
smokem

The spire points ate great for LONG range, but I count on good ole' Rem corelockt with LOTS of exposed lead for huting. They will open up great...many time they go in but don'rt come out and expend all energy in the target. I know there are some that say 2 holes are better than one, but tell that to friends who migrated to spires because soemone said they are more aerodynamic. Expend all energy in target and it goes DOWN and stays there. Not like some spire shots theough lung area leaving 2 black rimmed holes and a deer that ran 1/2 mile thrrough woods. Try 4064 with 170 grain Corelockt. and win LR primer.
For you 6.5 swede fans, try the 160 g. round nose, with 4064, and Win LR primer. It's a dandy to 250 yds!
One well placed shaot is all you need with these loads.
Just a few thoughts on these subjects.
Smokem

Sorry Smokem, no charge wights allowed. Rew

Smokem ... Please see below for reasons... Thanks, and thanks to Rew for responding so fast. ... 5knives
smokem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 12:14 PM   #9
5knives
KaBoom Kontrol Modulator

Smokem,

Heres why ...

Rigid rule number One in the reloading Forum ...

Specific loads may not be published on the Forum, references can be made to any published load in a Reloading manual or website, i.e: near the middle load for HC-110 in the Nth edition of Speers manual.

PM can of course be used to pass favorite handloads around.

We prohibit the public listing of loads (barring those listed by the Mfrs. in the reference Links at the top of this Forum.) for the following reasons.

1. Lots of powder differ. And some is older and stored differently than other.

2. Chamber dimensions differ, widely in some instances.

3. Powder measures can and do give widely discrepant readings when comparing one to another. That's why ALL the manuals tell you to start 10% low and work up slowly using your own dies, measure, components, etc.

Been a while since we stated those rules and whyfors. We all realize that barring the publishing of specific loads is unusual, and we believe that no member here would ever intentionally publish a dangerous load.

HOWEVER, TYPO'S HAPPEN, trust me on that!

(For some reason I can't edit Smokem's post. hopefully Rew or Pogo can.)

Regards,
Old 09-15-2008, 01:48 AM   #10
gunnysmith
Fear what you cannot see

Rimmed cases such as the 30-30, 7.62 X 54 etc. headspace on the rim, not the shoulder.
Depending upon the brass manufacturer, one is limited to the number of reloads available from such cases.
The problem exists of an annular ring forming near the case head caused by the brass flowing forward due to the pressure created upon firing. The result is a weaking( thinning) of the case in that area.
An annular ring inspection should be performed on each case to be reloaded.
Using a standard metal paper clip, straighten the clip and bend a 15 degree angle into the last 1/8 inch of the clip.
Use the modified clip to reach into the case and drag it up the sidewall.
If there is a ring starting one can feel the forming ring as a hesitation while dragging the clip up the sidewall.
If there is no ring forming the transition will be smooth to the neck.
Any cases which are suspect should be rendered unusable.
Any cases reloaded in such a condition could cause the firearm to be disabled.

H. L. Mencken
gunnysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 02:58 AM   #11
5knives
KaBoom Kontrol Modulator

Excellent advice gunnysmith!

A lot of guys will just take a look for a lighter ring forming next to the head, but your method is far superior.

Thank You for the post!

Regards,
Old 01-20-2009, 11:34 PM   #12
airmung

Great information, Sknives and Gunnysmith! I have a bolt action 30-30--any load suggestions for this one? Everybody else I ask just yells at me about never using pointy bullets in a 30-30. Hasn't anybody ever seen a 30-30 without a tube magazine?
airmung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:14 AM   #13
Moon
IncogNegro
Gyroball Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Bin Laden Liquors Champion, Crab Volleyball Champion, Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Ms Pacman Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by airmung
Hasn't anybody ever seen a 30-30 without a tube magazine?
Well, they're a lot less common than the tube-fed, lever variety. It kinda depends on your barrel length, and twist rate before we can give you an idea of where to start (and by "we", I mean Rew, 5Knives and the others. I'm still a neophyte).

Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:18 AM   #14
gunnysmith
Fear what you cannot see

In bolt guns, and other verticle stack magazines, you are limited by overall length of the cartridge fitting the magazine. Any bullet style will work.
gunnysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:57 AM   #15
Rew

Like gunny said, bolt actions such as the Remington M788 can use any bullet you can load and get in the mag. However loads should still be kept within published SAAMI limits. Just using pointed bullets will get you better ballistics.
Rew is offline   Reply With Quote