Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Rifles
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register

Old 12-18-2022, 07:05 PM   #1
Hunter07
I'm a grumpy SOB

Default Romania Doesn't Make the Dragunov: The PSL

I sure wish that I had bought the one I found, about 20 years ago, when I seen it at a Fun Shop S.E. of Nashville TN.
Quote:
When Romania vocally objected to the Soviet-led invasion of Czechoslovakia in 1968, it lost some of its opportunities for technology transfer form the Soviet Union. The USSR had adopted the SVD Dragunov in 1963, and it was looking like Romania would be putting that weapon into domestic production alongside the AK, but after 1968 not so much. If Romania wanted a designated marksman’s rifle, it would be on its own to develop one. So, that’s exactly what the Romanian did.

They already had a very successful factory complex making Kalashnikov rifles, and so they decided to take that design and scale it up to the 7.62x54R cartridge. The result was the PSL, with a semiautomatic only fire control group and 10-round magazines. It also featured an automatic hold open on an empty magazine, a feature only seen on one other AK variant (the early Yugoslav M64). It was fitted with a 4 power LSO-2 telescopic sight; basically a tritium-lit copy of the Soviet PSO-1.

After the Wall came down and the Warsaw Pact disintegrated, the Cugir factory complex would sell the PSL (and many other AK variants) widely on the international military and civilian markets. This has resulted in lots of Romanian PSL rifles here in the US today.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sXu...rgottenWeapons
Hunter07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 09:10 PM   #2
GBob01
Coonass Crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter07 View Post
I sure wish that I had bought the one I found, about 20 years ago, when I seen it at a Fun Shop S.E. of Nashville TN.
Should have bought several. I'm kicking myself these days.
Have you seen how much they're going for now?

III DEO VINDICE
GBob01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 09:18 PM   #3
RetVet
Statistical Error

I bought one then picked up a kit and built an additional one. Both with Russian scopes as the video pictures. I think kits at the time were running around $199, maybe less.
Old 12-19-2022, 12:43 AM   #4
Hunter07
I'm a grumpy SOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBob01 View Post
Yes Sir, I have seen how much they are going for currently. These days, I have no PSL-54C...... But I do have a Mosin Nagant M91/30, and a sh*tload of ammo for it.

If I had aquired a PSL-54C, I would have zero, or minimal ammo for it.......or, I would've paid out the ass to restock my supply. YIKES!

Damned if ya do, damned if ya don't! What can I say?

I just wish that I had bought the one I found that day, and paid to have it shipped to a FFL, near my home. Back then, I think shipping and FFL fees would've added $50 to the cost of the rifle.

Among other 'firearms sales & missed opportunities', I still kick my own ass, for not buying it.
Old 12-19-2022, 07:13 PM   #5
RetVet
Statistical Error

I wish I had picked up a few more SVT-40s back when the shop I frequented was selling them for around $250.
RetVet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 08:52 PM   #6
Hunter07
I'm a grumpy SOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetVet View Post
I wish I had picked up a few more SVT-40s back when the shop I frequented was selling them for around $250.

Damn! The PSL-54C that I found back then, had a price tag of roughtly $750......roughly 20 years ago.
Old 12-23-2022, 07:26 AM   #7
dinkydow

Ya snooze....ya lose.

"Let your plans be dark and as impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt."
"Violence of action means the unrestricted use of speed,strength, surprise and aggression to achieve total dominance against your enemy...any fighting technique is useless unless you totally commit to violence of action."

Burning huts in commy vills worldwide since 1968
dinkydow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 08:04 AM   #8
baboon
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBob01 View Post
When I was in my late teens I wanted a Sig AMT or the Sig STG 57, price those out. I ended up with my H&K 91 seeing as I was poor.
baboon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 07:52 AM   #9
FloridaAKM
Military Truck Collector

I always wanted a Romy PSL, but the prices @ gunshows were insane. When one of the parts kits dealers started selling FPK kits with original barrels, I was all over that.

Building the PSL was close to building an AK which meant I knew how & it was off to the races. When they started chopping up the barrels, I was done with the PSL's, but have 6 in the safe.

Ammo for them, being the ammo whore I am, a stack of Romy & Russian 54R crates, taller than I am was bought back when they were $200 a crate or less.

The PSL's wish for the bucket list was met & they all have new scopes too boot!

The HK91 was cheaper new than any PSL, but it was bought back in 1981 after a college mate said to get one. HE was right about that one!
FloridaAKM is online now   Reply With Quote