Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Rifles
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register

Old 09-07-2022, 04:41 PM   #1
Hunter07
I'm a grumpy SOB

Thumbs up NEW: AR15-SIZED .308-CALIBER RUGER SMALL-FRAME AUTOLOADING RIFLE

Hmmm......
Quote:
The new Ruger Small-Frame Autoloading Rifle is more appropriately described as a .308 Winchester-chambered AR-15 rather than a true AR10 as its barrel and bolt are roughly the same size overall as the company's AR-556 series and accepts standard AR-15 trigger groups, receiver end plates, charging handles, pistol grips, and adjustable stocks. Ruger has hit the ground running with the new rifle available in both a 16-inch (6.8 pounds) and 20-inch (7.3 pounds) format.

They share much of the same features, including CNC-machined 7075-T6 receivers, cold-hammer-forged barrels with 5R rifling and 5/8-24 TPI muzzle threads, a four-position regulated gas block, a two-port Boomer muzzle brake, and a free-floated handguard with M-LOK slots. They also come standard with Ruger's Elite 452 trigger billed as having a smooth, crisp 4.5-pound two-stage trigger pull.

Both accept SR-25 pattern mags and ship with a 20-round Magpul PMAG while a Magpul MOE SL stock and MOE grip are installed.
https://www.guns.com/news/2022/09/07...pMmKo2yLNMTAHA
Hunter07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 08:55 AM   #2
dinkydow

I like the adjustable gas porting. I also like the dual ejectors. Although THAT seems to introduce an inherent weak spot in the bolt.

Why is it called a "small frame?" The mag well must accept a .308 magazine and it accepts the same magazines as my Palmetto AR10.

Other than a barrel 2" shorter than my Palmetto...I don't see how it could be any lighter. But...all rifles seem to have become heavier in the last few years. Geezerhood?

"Let your plans be dark and as impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt."
"Violence of action means the unrestricted use of speed,strength, surprise and aggression to achieve total dominance against your enemy...any fighting technique is useless unless you totally commit to violence of action."

Burning huts in commy vills worldwide since 1968
dinkydow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 02:08 AM   #3
Hunter07
I'm a grumpy SOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinkydow View Post
I like the adjustable gas porting. I also like the dual ejectors. Although THAT seems to introduce an inherent weak spot in the bolt.

Why is it called a "small frame?" The mag well must accept a .308 magazine and it accepts the same magazines as my Palmetto AR10.

Other than a barrel 2" shorter than my Palmetto...I don't see how it could be any lighter. But...all rifles seem to have become heavier in the last few years. Geezerhood?

The 'small frame' refers to the AR-15 size. The mag well of this firearm, has been enlarged to compensate for the .308 mags.

From what I gather watching the video (and several other videos of this rifle), the Upper Receiver has been 'beefed up' where the added strength was needed, but, it'll still fit a Mil-Spec AR Lower.

IIRC, AR-10 types 'looked' like AR-15's, handled like AR-15's, but........no manufacturer, built them to the same specs, much less to fit an AR-15 Lower......

Baically, if you bought a Lower from one company, an Upper from another, it could be a 'challenge' to get it to fit together & 'run right'.
Hunter07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 05:19 AM   #4
flopshot
Constitutional bigot

picking up a DPMS 18" DP10 this morning. i looked at the Ruger and a Springfield but the DPMS was more inline with the fit and feel i was looking for. I know it's not a premium rifle but the price is good and i'm not sure i'll like the 30 caliber AR platform so this is a good place to start. i was lacking in the .30 cal rifle class so this will go well with the M1A. Dink had me looking at the PSA which are still on sale but my LGS priced this one over 200.00 less and no tax out the door and in hand today. hopefully i'll get to try out the M1A and the 10 this weekend. now i need to amp up my .308 ammo and mags.
flopshot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 07:45 AM   #5
klauss
Poof no eyebrows

I would be interested in this or something similar but would be stuck deciding between an AR-10 platform or a CZ shadow 2 if we end up liking that.

Heîs oiōṇs áristos, amưnesthai peŕ pátrēs- "There is only one omen, to fight for one's country"
klauss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 07:33 PM   #6
dinkydow

I would be greatly entertained observing as one attempted to install an AR15 lower on an AR10 upper.

That reminds me of the goobers who know that the US Rifle M14 and the AK47 fire the same ammo because they are both 7.62mm.

AR10s look something like an AR15. Just as a #1Enfield, MKlll....looks something like a K98 Mauser.

No AR10s are milspec.
Old 09-09-2022, 09:27 PM   #7
flopshot
Constitutional bigot

wow, the trigger on this thing really sucks. 8.5 - 9 lb pull. other than that i like it. anyone have an opinion on the lapping compound trigger smoothing ? other than safety issues i see no way to make the OEM trigger worse than it is.
Old 09-09-2022, 09:45 PM   #8
dinkydow

Simply buy another complete drop in trigger assy.

Those also fit an AR15.
Old 09-09-2022, 10:04 PM   #9
flopshot
Constitutional bigot

probably the best way forward.
Old 09-10-2022, 11:01 AM   #10
GimpyPaw

Ruger has been the king of weight lifter grade triggers for a long time.
GimpyPaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 06:29 PM   #11
dinkydow

When you attempt to tune a trigger in an AR15....as it approaches sweetness....it will begin doubling. So...simply replace it with a new tunable and or adjustable assy. Much cheaper than being arrested for possession of an unregistered MG.
Old 01-27-2023, 11:15 AM   #12
Havoc308
Cat Batting Champion

The PSA EPT trigger groups are pretty slick for a milspec style TG. not that bad on price either.
Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think, and act for myself--and then I will obey every law or submit to the penalty." - Chief Joseph
Alle Kunst ist umsunst Wenn ein Engel auf das Zundloch brunzet (All skill is in vain if an angel pisses down the touch-hole of your musket.)
quod futue te ipsum est quid
Havoc308 is offline   Reply With Quote