Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Mess Hall
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register

Mess Hall Talk about food. Recipes, grilling, dehydrating, smoking, and BBQs.

Old 09-29-2010, 06:46 AM   #1
Neo31rex31

Default Fellow Pizza Makers | Recipe

I just thought I would share with you all a pizza recipe of mine:

Just a bit of history before I get to the recipe itself. My sister died 4 days before her 15th birthday almost 4 years ago. [Will be 4 years November 12th 2010]. She, and my father [Who used to be a professional chef] came up with this recipe and made it every chance they got when she was able to come home from the hospital, and I eventually joined in making this. Due to her illness, only fresh ingredients could be utilized and thus tastes the best with such ingredients.

Ingredients:

2 1/2 - 3 cups of flour
Freshly picked Basil (approx 12 leaves)
Freshly picked Oregano (approx 12 leaves)
Mozzarella Cheese (use to your liking)
Olive Oil
Fresh Pepperoni
Fresh Tomato Slices approx 1/2 cm in thickness (if you get them too think its watery)
Tablespoon of Salt
Self Rising Yeast
Warm Water (1 cup +)
Corn Meal

If you have a mixer you can use it as it makes the process easier however it is not necessary.

1, Take 1 cup of warm water and 1 packet of self rising yeast, put it in a mixing bowl of your liking and with a fork - whip the water and yeast until it is all dissolved.
2, Take your mixture and pour it into a mixing bowl, add approx 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and turn your mixer on. While the mixer is on - slowly add in 2.5 cups of flour until you have a powered doughy mess.
3, Keep adding water by the tablespoon and the rest of the half a-cup of flour until you have a slightly sticky dough ball. (while the mixer is still going)
---The above process takes me about 10 min---
4, Once your dough-ball is completed, put it in a glass or plastic bowl and cover it with a WARM moist rag, and place it in the oven. Placing it in the oven is important for temperature control. [do not turn the oven on]
---Wait approx 1 hour and 15 min--- for the dough to rise.
5, Once your dough has risen, it should be VERY slightly sticky.
6, [Coat your hands with flour] Remove the now risen rough-ball and place it on a baking stone (or whatever you use to bake on, we always used a baking stone - it made the crust just right)
7, With a rolling pin - rollout your dough to your liking allowing the dough to hang over the sides of your baking stone approx 1 inch. Lift up one half of the dough and sprinkle a generous amount of corn meal on the bottom, then do this with the other side.
8, With some olive oil and a brush, coat the top of your now flattened dough-ball with the olive oil.
9, Take your fresh leaves of basil and oregano (6 leaves each), crush them up until they are flakes (do not make a powder out of them). Once you have completed this, sprinkle them over the oiled crust.
---at this time, you want to start heating your oven to 425f---
10, Once you have your spices sprinkled on the crust, begin putting the cheese on there till you are satisfied with the amount. Then take the 1" hanging dough all around the pizza and roll the end of the pan cheese into the crust (to make stuffed crust).
11, Take your tomato slices and place them approx 1" apart from each other (this is done so the crust does not get soggy) on the now cheesed dough.
12, Take your freshly cut pepperoni and place it on your pizza till your heart is content.
13, Take your remaining fresh leaves of oregano and basil, crush them like previously and place them on top of all your "fixins"
14, Brush the outside of your crust with olive oil
15, Place your pizza in the oven for approx 25 min till the crust is a nice golden brown
16, ENJOY!!
Old 09-29-2010, 08:00 AM   #2
aviator
unum de multis

It helps if you oil your glass bowl a bit before putting your dough in to let it rise. Some ovens have the "Proof" setting, like mine, specifically designed to keep a very low temperature and help the dough rise. Also adding a teaspoon of sugar to the warm water before putting the yeast in it so it's got something to feed on and multiply faster. but make sure the water is not above 120 degrees or you'll kill the yeast.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:26 AM   #3
Czubek
slug
Cat Bowling Champion

That sounds like a good meatless pizza! Nothing wrong with that every once and a while. Actually, that can be kind of refreshing, in a way.

Brian

Here at the Dirty Dozen's Bunker, we have no problems, only solutions.
Czubek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:42 AM   #4
aviator
unum de multis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czubek View Post
That sounds like a good meatless pizza! Nothing wrong with that every once and a while. Actually, that can be kind of refreshing, in a way.

Brian
One of the best pizzas I ever ate was in St Augustine, FL and it was a Margharetta (sp) Pizza, similar to that one but no pepperoni. I still make it once in a while, just slices of Tomato, Basil and Cheese, of course, you sprinkle some good quality virgin olive oil and salt over it.

Another variation on the dough I use is to add a bit of garlic powder.

Thinking of that place in St Augustine....even the beer was good....I must have been hungry and thirsty.
aviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 01:18 PM   #5
Sanders

My daughter is having a sleepover at our house this Friday night. I think a big batch of this dough, mixed up in the Kitchenaid mixer will be just what we need for the kids to make their personal pizzas.

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 05:34 PM   #6
Neo31rex31

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator View Post
It helps if you oil your glass bowl a bit before putting your dough in to let it rise. Some ovens have the "Proof" setting, like mine, specifically designed to keep a very low temperature and help the dough rise. Also adding a teaspoon of sugar to the warm water before putting the yeast in it so it's got something to feed on and multiply faster. but make sure the water is not above 120 degrees or you'll kill the yeast.
I've never actually oiled the glass bowl before, might give it a shot. If you put it in there to prevent the dough from becoming sticky, as long as there isn't too much water you won't have any issue.

I don't have a spiffy oven like that, i just put it in there for temperature control.

I've never tried the sugar thing either.

Here is pic
Neo31rex31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 06:55 PM   #7
Czubek
slug
Cat Bowling Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyFlin View Post
I've never actually oiled the glass bowl before, might give it a shot. If you put it in there to prevent the dough from becoming sticky, as long as there isn't too much water you won't have any issue.

I don't have a spiffy oven like that, i just put it in there for temperature control.

Here is pic

Brian
Czubek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 07:49 PM   #8
aviator
unum de multis

Quote:

Here is pic
Just had diner and that picture made me hungry again, looks nice.

BTW, I am an amateur chef so I apply a few tricks here and here.
aviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:32 PM   #9
GARANDNUT
Pontificator Maximus

Quote:

Here is pic
Fine looking pie.

Pizza margherita is simply perfection when properly made. Once you get used to homemade pizza you realize what crap the stuff you get out is. I just wish I had the brick oven to really do it right.
GARANDNUT is online now   Reply With Quote