Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Ammunition and Reloading Forum
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Ammunition and Reloading Forum All about ammunition, reloading and reloading equipment

Old 12-02-2017, 07:01 PM   #1
Driswalds
Starcastle Champion

Default Perfect brass disease

When I reload my brass needs to look like it came from the factory.

Is it just me or do you all do the same?

My first step is to put them in a ultrasonic with simple green and a pinch of of lemeshine.
When dry I decap and then they get tumbled.
When I resize I chuck it in the drill and polish it with Brasso before trimming.

Am I going overboard?
Driswalds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 07:36 PM   #2
JD Miller
Fake Member

I dont polish mine. I buy my brass new, and anneal it every 3-5 firings

wiping lube and soot off is polishing enough for me
Old 12-03-2017, 07:39 AM   #3
baboon
slug

Buy a stainless steel pin tumbler if your that picky anout your brass. With the primer knocked out of the case the brass will look brand new inside & out.
baboon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 12:23 PM   #4
Sanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by baboon View Post
Buy a stainless steel pin tumbler if your that picky anout your brass. With the primer knocked out of the case the brass will look brand new inside & out.
Yep. I recently saw what my brother-in-law's stainless steel tumbler can do, and that brass comes out looking like factory new. He is swaging jacketed bullets using brass - for instance, he is using .22LR casings to make .223 jacketed HP bullets.

For me, I will run my pistol brass through a vibratory tumbler with some walnut or corncob media (whichever was cheaper or in stock at the time) to knock off the crud, then make sure the primer pocket is clear and call it good. I'm a bit more anal with my rifle brass, but not a whole lot more.

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 04:19 PM   #5
REDOAK
Intelligent Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by baboon View Post
In have one. It does a hell of a good job.
REDOAK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 09:28 AM   #6
10 Bears
Ron North's Jewels Champion, Flash Poker Champion

Reloading, for some folks, becomes a compulsive/obsessive activity.
You seem to be infected.
10 Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 12:36 PM   #7
REDOAK
Intelligent Posterior

Doesn't Brasso make the brass brittle? Seems like I read that somewhere.
REDOAK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 12:55 PM   #8
baboon
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDOAK View Post
Slots of stuff makes brass brittle. Do enough reloading of it is a prime example. I've had very little failure of brass compared to life in general!
baboon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 01:04 PM   #9
Driswalds
Starcastle Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDOAK View Post
Yes it does but it is only on the brass for a few seconds the way I use it.
Driswalds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 10:22 PM   #10
Legion489
Dud

Yes you are going overboard. I run my brass through an apple cider vin (or whatever I got here), dish soap, salt, HOT water bath, shake it for 15 minutes, rinse in very hot water and they are good to go. I don't care if you can see yourself in the shine or not, I want CLEAN, not pretty!

Yes the vinegar CAN harm brass, don't leave it in over night! The salt provides a little extra to the mix, since this is the old military WWI/WWII formula, I figure it can't hurt or you can leave it out, either seems to work fine.
Legion489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 09:30 AM   #11
remus

My reloadable brass doesn't have to shine, just be clean of debris. My black powder 45-70 brass is really nasty looking but still functional. Never have found a way to clean black powder brass back to shiny.
remus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 02:00 PM   #12
buzgun
slug

gun

For a precision rifle that might be worth it but for a caliber like .45 colt i dont see any advantage except esthetic .

I have a dedicated plastic bag filled with 75 .45 Colt rounds that i have reloaded at least 35 times.......i don't trim the cases, i don't always tumble them in walnut shells and at the range i get the same accuracy results vs. the same load in brand new brass.

Resizing dirty cases with carbide dies takes a lot less force than cleaned, tumbled cases do.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:44 AM   #13
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

The story of brasso making brass brittle is all over the internet. It's another internet tale or wives tale.

Brasso does remove a trace amount of the corroded brass in order to make the brass shine. But it does not penetrate the surface of the brass and alter the alloy of copper and zinc.

The story was probably started by someone picking up badly corroded brass at a shooting range and polishing them until they shined. And the walls of the polished brass was so thin that the case ripped apart on firing.