Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Handguns
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register

Old 07-05-2022, 09:07 PM   #1
Karl/PA
Resident Curmudgeon

Default Need Some 9mm Ammo Help

Making the change from 9x18 Mak to 9x19 Luger (or NATO). Want everything to be the same to match the Kel Tec Sub 2000. Problem I'm running into is that no one seems to agree on the uses for each of the three main types of ammunition. Most list the 115 gr. as range & target yet others call it the recommended carry load for police use. It is the most used and sold and I still have to wonder why?

The 124 gr. seems to me to be the most suitable and NATO uses it and refers to it as a plus P load.

Finally, what is the purpose of the 142 gr. load? Is it the poor man's plus P?

Seems I get different information from each source I try.

Alcohol is a perfect solvent: It dissolves marriages, families and careers.
Karl/PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 09:35 PM   #2
Sanders

With the 115 load, it is most common mostly because of price, and reduced recoil for those shooting micro compacts and women. I use it mostly as plinking ammo.

The 124 loads I find to be the most accurate and comfortable to shoot for me. I'm not entirely convinced on what people call +P loads. There are several youtube videos debunking +P being significantly more powerful than regular loads.

The heavier bullets tend to be subsonic. That's where the popularity of the 147 gr. bullets comes from. They are more effective out of pistol caliber carbines and sub guns with suppressors.

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 09:51 PM   #3
belt-fed

[

The heavier bullets tend to be subsonic. That's where the popularity of the 147 gr. bullets comes from. They are more effective out of pistol caliber carbines and sub guns with suppressors.[/QUOTE]

yes 147 gr work very well with a can at lest in mp5 with a omega 9 can
belt-fed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 08:22 AM   #4
500grains
Soldier of Allah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanders View Post
I'm not entirely convinced on what people call +P loads.
+P refers to the pressure to which the ammo is loaded. If the box does not say +P, then it is regular pressure ammo.
Old 06-14-2023, 02:01 PM   #5
Sanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500grains View Post
+P refers to the pressure to which the ammo is loaded. If the box does not say +P, then it is regular pressure ammo.
There doesn't seem to be any consistency as to what +P actually is, even with same manufacturers. This is based on tests different folks have done recording velocity and penetration using same bullet weights and profiles.

One manufacturer's standard loading will have more velocity than another's +P loading with the same bullet weight and profile.

It's not something I've been interested enough in to look up if there's a SAAMI spec for what +P is supposed to be vs. standard ammo.
Old 07-06-2022, 07:53 AM   #6
REDOAK
Intelligent Posterior

147 grain are great in my M11 with Lage upper and old-school SWD suppressor.
REDOAK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 04:19 PM   #7
graynote

Quit thinking of bullet weight to equate to use.

Think of jHP, bonded, or polymer tip bullets for killing. They can range anywhere from 90 gr up to 150 gr.

Think of FMJ, plated or poly-coated as range ammo. They don’t work as well in flesh.

Think of subsonic ammo (usually 147 gr or 150) as suppressed ammo.

In testing, it is almost universally accepted that the best ballistic performance comes from high-pressure 124 gr bullets such as the Speer Gold Dot or Federal Hydra-Shok.
graynote is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 02:47 PM   #8
Karl/PA
Resident Curmudgeon

Thanks guys.
Old 08-04-2022, 05:12 AM   #9
CherokeeGunslinger
Thundersticks Galore

Doesn't really matter in my book. Any cheap ammo will work for plinking and target practice. Any bullet weight will suffice for self-defense, as long as that bullet is a good design of bonded JHP (think HSTs and FTXes). I don't care about saving a few cents between buying 115gr and 124gr for target practice, so my arsenal is stocked with 124gr 9mm.

Grain weight only really matters in the realm of precision shooting, suppressor use, and keeping uniformity between carry and practice ammo.

I run 124gr Federal HSTs in my carry gun (a PF940v2, AKA a scary ghost gun) and they work just fine. I'd feel just as protected with the 147s. I don't see that many 115gr defensive loads on the market, but that doesn't mean a loss of 11 grains makes a JHP suck.

Once I get a Banshee Mk9GS and a suppressor, I'll likely switch to feeding my PF940v2 the 147gr stuff for uniformity.
CherokeeGunslinger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 08:06 AM   #10
klauss
Poof no eyebrows

To dredge up an oldish thread

What’s the best budget 9mm? Wife wants to get in a lot more practice time with her PDP for CCW and also get more time on the scorpion( PCC 16 inch barrel)

Heîs oiōnòs áristos, amýnesthai perì pátrēs- "There is only one omen, to fight for one's country"
klauss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 08:58 AM   #11
aviator
unum de multis

Quote:
Originally Posted by klauss View Post

What’s the best budget 9mm? Wife wants to get in a lot more practice time with her PDP for CCW and also get more time on the scorpion( PCC 16 inch barrel)
I personally use Hornady Critical Defense in my 9mm, it's 115 gr, but face it, if you are going to have to use it it will be at less than 30 feet so it's good enough to do some flesh damage.

May also look into ammo restrictions on the gun itself, I've seen guns which are not rated at more than 115gr. because of cartridge pressure. They are not cheap.

Budget ammo, look here

ammoseek.com
Old 09-27-2022, 11:21 AM   #12
Sanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by klauss View Post

Whatever is on sale for the best price. Except there is one manufacturer who sells reloaded ammo that is dirty as hell. I can't recall the name, but the boxes are red, white and blue. I'd recognize them if I saw them in the store. Never had any problems, even with them, except they were such dirty rounds.
Old 10-07-2022, 08:03 PM   #13
dinkydow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanders View Post
Whatever is on sale for the best price. Except there is one manufacturer who sells reloaded ammo that is dirty as hell. I can't recall the name, but the boxes are red, white and blue. I'd recognize them if I saw them in the store. Never had any problems, even with them, except they were such dirty rounds.

Some of their shit is flaked shotgun powder. Nasty shit.

"Let your plans be dark and as impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt."
"Violence of action means the unrestricted use of speed,strength, surprise and aggression to achieve total dominance against your enemy...any fighting technique is useless unless you totally commit to violence of action."

Burning huts in commy vills worldwide since 1968
dinkydow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 09:30 AM   #14
bill3542

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl/PA View Post
Making the change from 9x18 Mak to 9x19 Luger (or NATO). Want everything to be the same to match the Kel Tec Sub 2000. Problem I'm running into is that no one seems to agree on the uses for each of the three main types of ammunition. Most list the 115 gr. as range & target yet others call it the recommended carry load for police use. It is the most used and sold and I still have to wonder why?

The 124 gr. seems to me to be the most suitable and NATO uses it and refers to it as a plus P load.

Finally, what is the purpose of the 142 gr. load? Is it the poor man's plus P?

Seems I get different information from each source I try.
What's wrong with the Makarov for carry, there a great pistol for that.
bill3542 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 04:00 PM   #15
Karl/PA
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill3542 View Post
What's wrong with the Makarov for carry, there a great pistol for that.
Can't put the 9x18 MAK load into the 9x19 2000 sub. Agree the Mak is a great carry gun but it only carries 6 rounds. I use a P64 or a PA63 for carry.